Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
Question Registering in US?

At last, my Kindle Fire HDX 7” has arrived in the post (I live in New Zealand).

Okay, I have an existing “old” registered Kindle reader, but from what I have read, it would benefit me to have our new Kindle Fire registered in the USA , ie more free apps/books/films, more titles available etc etc.

Is this still the case, as the threads I have read here about this maybe outdated somewhat. Oh, the Kindle was bought as a “gift” (mainly for my wife when she goes into hospital), so I didn’t register it automatically at purchase.

I’m not wanting to undermine Amazon (I read the rules of the forum), and I’m only asking along the same lines as what has been asked/discussed here on Mobile Read forums previously, but obviously would like up to date information relevant to the newer Kindles. Also, I’m guessing that there are newer and better ways to go about things than previously discussed.

I have only switched on the unit to see if it works, and have now turned it off again and put on charge…. I’m afraid to log on to my wireless network, or begin the registration process even, until I have some sage information from those here who are far brighter than myself.

Thank you...
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy View Post
it would benefit me to have our new Kindle Fire registered in the USA

By that, do you mean having an Amazon US account?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just as long as you're suitably equipped for the fact that Amazon may ask you to provide documentary evidence that you are where you claim to be, and they could, in theory, close your account if they find you've been lying. Is it really worth the risk? It wouldn't be to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I'm also an international user, in Central America, but have a US-based Amazon account with a valid US address, US bank account and credit card and have always left the country setting on my devices as "US". I've been using e-ink Kindles and Kindle Fires for years and have never been asked to verify my location, although others have reported that Amazon has asked for verification. Perhaps that depends on the country and VAT laws, etc.

However, no matter where you register it, all Amazon videos are geo-restricted and Amazon's US video services won't be available to you in New Zealand. I don't know if the newly opened Amazon.au offers videos or, if so, whether they're available in New Zealand as well.

If you are a US-based Amazon customer, it's possible that you may be able to circumvent the geo-blocking on Amazon videos by using a US-based vpn service since the HDX supports vpn connections ( earlier models don't) but it's a violation of Amazon's terms of service and it may not work anyway.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote