Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Meaningful in terms of what?

Human interaction and the definition of what it is to be human?

Candidates include: _I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream_ and _More than Human_

What humanity should and should not do?

_The Lathe of Heaven_ or _The Forever Hero_ trilogy (Dawn for a Distant Earth, In Endless Twilight, The Silent Warrior)

The consequences of technology?

Hal Clement is good for that, see the collection _Space Lash_, esp. "Raindrop" and "The Mechanic" (the latter also plays well to the matter of what defines humanity in terms of medicine).

For the problem of computer science, I've always found _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ a guilty pleasure, but not much else written on that is as meaningful, save maybe Marshall Brain's novella _Manna_ https://marshallbrain.com/manna1 (which has all the subtlety of getting clubbed by a baseball bat).

Arguably the best example of what a novel is about altering it is comparing the initial draft of Barry Hughart's _The Bridge of Birds_ http://barryhughart.org/bobdraft/chapter1.html with the published novel
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #17
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I read it a long time ago and it's still with me.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
H. G. Wells is another author to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
This is one of those request that I generally don't know how to answer. One can find meaning in many things. I suspect the original poster has a very explicit political belief system and doesn't want books that might challenge them, otherwise why mention politics in the post.

SF has a whole sub-genre of utopia and dystopia books which examine the possibilities of various belief systems. Dystopia books seem to be particularly popular these days, especially in so called youth books. If one is looking for sf books that lean to the left of center, then I would suggest checking out Tor's catalogue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #20
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuinn
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #21
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If one is looking for sf books that lean to the left of center, then I would suggest checking out Tor's catalogue.
I didnt get that, but Iain Banks is left of center, even for the UK, which is far to the left of the US.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:12 AM   #22
paulag
paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Death of Grass by John Christopher. Some kind of disease wipes out grasses - which include rice, wheat, barley etc - leading to mass starvation. The same author also wrote post apocalyptic books for teenagers that were adapted into a TV series called The Tripods that aired in the UK in the 1980s.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #23
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRuff View Post
A Deepness in the Sky?
I would add the 1st and 3rd volumes in the series ("A Fire Upon the Deep" and "The Children of the Sky") or, actually, why not all books by Vernor Vinge.
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #24
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Wonderfully written. Very hard to describe. A serf from a color-coded caste discovers more about the world he lives in, (Mars) than he knew possible.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:15 AM   #25
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I have read that, and it’s sequel. Enjoyed those too. Simmons is very good.
There are two more books in the cantos. Some people don't find them as good as the first two though, personally I loved them.

But yes, the Hyperion books are some of the sci-fi books that have had the most impact on me. The sheer scale of the work, and imagination, was profound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
When I saw "Meaningful Sci-Fi" in the subject line my first thought was Ted Chiang. Regrettably he has so far only managed two short story collections, but if you want something intellectually intriguing and meaningful these are well worth visiting:

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang, 2002
Exhalation by Ted Chiang, 2019
Agreed. Highly recommended. Stories of Your Life and Others is the best short story collection I have ever come across, by quite a mile.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #26
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Yoon Ha Lee: Machineries of Empire. This trilogy is baffling and enthralling in equal measure; I can't describe it but I strongly recommend it.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #27
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I read it a long time ago and it's still with me.
Yes! This is such a fine book. The sequel Children of God is also well worth reading.
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #28
kickerofelves
kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Another vote for The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell & the sequel Children of God. I'd add

The Left-Hand of Darkness - Ursula Le Guin
Ian Banks Culture novels
The Three Body Problem - Liu Cixin
Solaris - Stanislaw Lem (the Johnston translation)
kickerofelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora - an anti-terraforming SF novel by an author whose most successful work was a terraforming trilogy.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #30
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
  1. The Xenogenesis trilogy by Octavia Butler
  2. 1984 by George Orwell
  3. Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
  4. Anthem by Ayn Rand
  5. Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  6. Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley
  7. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  8. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Leguin
  9. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  10. Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang, 2002

Last edited by Mikou; 05-22-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote