Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
nikki
nikki began at the beginning.

Device: palm
All new...and slightly scary

Hi all,
anyone offer advice, I'm currently useing a geriatric palm tunsten T to read my library of mobipocket and eReader books but its about to give out on me and I'm looking to replace it. I'm looking for something which has a bigger screen (ok so I'm getting older too!) and will read these formats (I've seen the conversion stuff and it looks complicated!) anyone have any recommendations (I'm in the UK btw).
(Hope its OK to post this here...is complete newbie)
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi nikki and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 since Jan 08 and really like it. And you might consult our 'Which One Should I buy" section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123 Lot of good information there
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Nikki its not that scary here
After all, we all have one major thing in common, we all love books!

As for the conversion stuff, it actually sounds more complicated than it is.
I got started with free MS reader books that were in .lit format.
Did not take me long to learn how to convert them to something I could read on my computer.

I guess to me the biggest distinction on what to buy would be this.

A: Do you buy best sellers, and want to be able to download and read them directly from your ebook reader?

B Are you just as happy with books that are classics or in the public domain?
That may or may not have to be converted on your PC before you can read them?

If the answer is A, then you probably want either a Kindle or a Sony.

If the answer is B then I'd highly recomend the Jetbook. And I'd be glad to offer my assistance in learning how to convert books.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR Nikki!

I can also recommend the Sony
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
nikki
nikki began at the beginning.

Device: palm
Thank you all, for your welcome and advice I'm off to read up on the reviews as suggested by cassidym and will look again at the sony and kindle (and may call upon your help GhostHawke if I get tied-up in untangling the conversion speak)
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Astak EZReader 6" reader for $149 at Fry's, in store pickup only.

Very much like my jetbook in many respects.
I believe with a firmware upgrade you would have support for even more file types than the Jetbook. Including .lit, html, and epub formats. Removing the whole conversion problem.

Just something to consider
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Kashue
NightStalker
Kashue doesn't litterKashue doesn't litterKashue doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hello
Try https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix Device Matrix, it has lots of usefull information.
Kashue is offline   Reply With Quote