Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-25-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Glowlight 3 displaying pages out of order?

Okay guys, I was playing with the new Glowlight 3 and I noticed pages in the book are shuffled. I noticed this in the store the first time I handled a Glowlight 3 (their display book was Treasure Island). I figured their ebook was hosed.

I bought mine and sideloaded my books and am seeing the same thing (coincidentally, on Treasure Island again). The sentence at the bottom of a page ends in a comma, then the next page starts a new chapter, then the page after continues the sentence from two pages ago.

My copy of Treasure Island is not the same as the one that was on the display model. In fact, it happened in both my copies of TI. The Penguin Classics edition and the Standard E-books edition. I read though the Standard E-books edition on my Kobo, so I know the book isn't the problem.

It happened in the store on a display model and on my device with the beta firmware, so I know the beta firmware isn't the problem.

I used three different copies of Treasure Island, but I seriously doubt the Nook dislikes Robert Louis Stevenson.

I guess I could experiment with turning pages using touch instead of buttons. Just want to know if anyone else has seen a similar issue.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would appear I'm an idiot.

The default setting is the top button is page forward and the bottom button is page backwards. I always used mine with the buttons switched. I went in to settings, fixed that and my problem disappeared.
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
LOL I like anyone who admits they made an error! (And you probably saved others from some frustration by making the same.) My Glowlight 3 arrives tomorrow and, I must admit, you did have me worried for a moment!
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCompany View Post
LOL I like anyone who admits they made an error! (And you probably saved others from some frustration by making the same.) My Glowlight 3 arrives tomorrow and, I must admit, you did have me worried for a moment!
Yeah, I made what IT calls an ID-10-T error. I'm so used to the bottom button being page forward. Looks like by default, it is page backwards.

I thought the pages I was seeing were shuffled by the device. I had all kind of theories that it was from jumping directly to the middle of the book.

It's amazing how much easier it is to believe elaborate, unsupported theories than to admit we made a mistake. There a whole field out there for people like that. It's called 'The Mandela Effect.'
Old 12-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I put about 500 books on mine today and started browsing a bit. The books were all in weird sequences even though they were supposedly sorted alphabetically. Then I remembered seeing a setting about organizing books by series and I went into settings and turned that off. Now they're organized just like I would expect.

I did experiment a bit with the button, switching which button does what. I found I like the bottom button going forward better but not by much. But I've all but stopped using the buttons. I'm used to swiping. Buttons are for old people.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I put about 500 books on mine today and started browsing a bit. The books were all in weird sequences even though they were supposedly sorted alphabetically. Then I remembered seeing a setting about organizing books by series and I went into settings and turned that off. Now they're organized just like I would expect.

I did experiment a bit with the button, switching which button does what. I found I like the bottom button going forward better but not by much. But I've all but stopped using the buttons. I'm used to swiping. Buttons are for old people.

Barry
Hey, did you fix your button issue? I know you said you were having issues with the way the buttons worked (or didn't).

I don't like swiping because I don't like greasy finger streaks on my screen. I tap on the Aura, but I've noticed it can be a little spotty.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Nope. I downloaded the update again and re-installed it and then did a reset of the Glowlight. The Page buttons now work on single press like you'd expect them to. On double press they take me back to the previous page or some such, I forget exactly, and then a single page press takes me to the next chapter. It's weird.

Actually I just tried it again on a different book and the buttons worked exactly like they're supposed to. I tried a few more books and they work fine too. So maybe the first book was a bad one. I have over 500 books on board now and no memory of which book that was so maybe I solved my problem.

Lots of guessing here but more and more I was starting to think there were so many wonky things about this thing that maybe I had a faulty update. Now I'm starting to think I might have been right. It all seems fine now.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote