Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #361
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Try again after having reinstalled the latest hotfix/bridge and then restarted your device.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #362
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Oasis KOA FW 5.13.3 JB
No joy. I installed hotfix 1.15. That restarted the KOA. Then I removed the LS extension folder, uninstalled Python, restarted the KOA again, reinstalled Python, and reinstalled the new LS.bin. The problem remains.

Should I consider removing and reinstalling KUAL? What about just starting over with all .bin and extensions?
picree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #363
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@picree: Where did you get that hotfix version (on the off-chance I broke something recently)?
Old 08-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #364
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@picree: Where did you get that hotfix version (on the off-chance I broke something recently)?
+ A KOA requires the KUAL booklet.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #365
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Jailbreak Survival Code. The link came from step six of the Wiki and was updated 7-3-18 so it looked to be current.
Advert
Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #366
picree
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
+ A KOA requires the KUAL booklet.
Yes, thanks. I am aware of that. The Kindlet version (.azw2) won't work. I've always used the KUAL .bin file on this Oasis. And I always install .bins (except the hotfix) using ;log mrpi.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #367
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What did you use to install the hotfix?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #368
picree
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What did you use to install the hotfix?
The latest instructions linked to above still said to put it in the root folder and UYK. I could not find anything saying to use ;log mrpi. It appeared to run and finished with Your Kindle has bee updated. Should it be run with MRPI?

Last edited by picree; 08-05-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #369
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@picree: No, that's both up to date and the right way to install that.

What's the character shown in the top left corner of the KUAL, on the left of the current 'path'?
Old 08-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #370
picree
Connoisseur

Quote:
@picree: No, that's both up to date and the right way to install that.

What's the character shown in the top left corner of the KUAL, on the left of the current 'path'?
The character is "$" followed by a square block and a path delimiter "/"
Old 08-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #371
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@picree: Oohkay, so everything appears in order.

Not sure what else might be wrong, and I'm not sure anything interesting would pop up in system logs on that front...

(EDIT: Unless it's yet another weird-ass broken behavior from an unarchiver app?)

EDIT²: Does MRPI actually start on your device (via KUAL, ideally, or via ;mrpi otherwise)? Because if it does, the JB is sane, so that leaves us back to square one: a broken /extensions directory tree.

EDIT³: Speaking of MRPI, I just updated the snapshots to fix a logging truncation issue that I introduced a few weeks ago...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-05-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #372
picree
Connoisseur

Quote:
(EDIT: Unless it's yet another weird-ass broken behavior from an unarchiver app?)
I use Keka on a Mac. Worked fine in the past.

Quote:
EDIT²: Does MRPI actually start on your device (via KUAL, ideally, or via ;mrpi otherwise)? Because if it does, the JB is sane, so that leaves us back to square one: a broken /extensions directory tree.
Yes. It runs both ways. From KUAL with an empty mrpackages folder it starts (Hush little baby...) and finishes with "No MR Packages found." Same from ;log mrpi.

Quote:
EDIT³: Speaking of MRPI, I just updated the snapshots to fix a logging truncation issue that I introduced a few weeks ago...
Thanks for the info.

To clear the decks and try again I ran all .bin unistallers, removed all folders (extensions, linkfonts, linkss, python, etc.). BTW, shouldn't the uninstaller remove these? Deleted collections.json. I did not delete rp or mkk folders just in case. I also did not delete KUAL.kual in documents but it is zero bytes on my kindle. I then reran the 1.15 fw-5.x hotfix from UYK. Copied in a new MRPI folder. Reran all bin installs from ;log mrpi, copied back all extension folders, reran Kindle Collections in Calibre and exported a new collections.json to the KOA 5.8.5.

Same behavior: I can run LS from kterm but not from KUAL. It just sits there. I have installed gawk. Could that mess up something? All .bins and extensions are latest 7/25/18 and are the version for KOA. Calibre and Kindle Collections are also both up to date.

Maybe related: Both BatteryStatus and the helper entry "Device ID" will eventually write to the screen if I invoke them enough times. I have to touch the Helper+ menu entry multiple times (3-10) though. Upon first touch the status line at the bottom changes from the KUAL version number to the date/time but above that remains blank until I touch the menu entry multiple times.

How do I delete/replace/repair a broken /extensions directory tree?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #373
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@picree:

Uninstallers don't touch anything that's in the userdata partition, because it's, well, user data, and we can't risk deleting something custom.
Doing it right would involve building a manifest of what's ours and has no reason to be user-edited, which is a rather large hassle for no good reason .

----

If you simply moved around your old extensions folder, you basically did a whole lot of work for nothing .

I'd rip it out entirely, leave installing stuff in there to update packages for hacks, and install pure extensions over Terminal.

----

gawk doesn't do anything until you install it, which involves manual interaction in the KUAL > submenu, so that's easy enough to check. (Never had any issue with it, though).

c.f., the final letter of the KUAL version tag: ,a -> busybox; ,g -> gawk

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-06-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #374
picree
Connoisseur

OK. The short summary is that I did delete the entire extensions folder and user debris after having run all uninstallers. In rebuilding the extensions folder I let the update packages for hacks build it back. Also, I know to run gawk from KUAL and the final letter in the version tag is ,g.

The only thing i did not do is to install pure extensions over Terminal (can try that)...and I can try something other than Keka for unarchiving. I guess there isn't any way to delete/replace/repair a broken /extensions directory tree?

It seems odd that launching Device ID or Print Battery Status only works after multiple presses. Thanks so much for your guidance. If I discover a solution I will reply.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #375
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's indeed potentially weird as hell (and would potentially move the blame to KUAL itself?).

You can try without gawk on the off-chance you're hitting a weird corner-case?

Tags
kindle collections, librariansync