Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
roadstar
roadstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Calibre connection only works using wifi (?)

I have my ereader apps (on my Android phone) set to access my Calibre catalog on my home computer, but the ereader apps will only connect when my device is connected with WIFI but not when my device is accessing the internet using my data plan. Shouldn't I be able to access this url from any internet connection? How can I fix this?
Please advise. Thanks!
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Calibre server is, by default, (as you've found) only available on your own private network. If it were to be available from any connection on the internet, then anybody would be able to access it. If that were to be the case, you'd need to provide a suitable authentication mechanism to ensure that only you could access it. If you didn't do this, then unless all the books in your library were in the public domain, you would in effect have set up your own pirate eBook site (which would plainly not be a good idea).

Best to keep it private to your own network, for that reason.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-28-2012 at 11:01 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert