Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
AEA64
AEA64 began at the beginning.

Device: Considering getting a Pocket eDGe or Kindle 4
Smile Should I buy a Pocked eDGe?

Hi all.

I was looking for a e-reader on eBay and stumbled upon Pocket eDGe. I like the concept, but lack of warranty and long delivery times to my location worry me.

I have a few questions:

1) What's the battery life time if you use e-ink only?
2) Is the device reliable enough (i'm also considering new $79 kindle 4 which seems more "solid")?
3) Can I get the 2.2 update for Android when the company is out of business?
4) Can it play decent quality video (HD or 576p, 540p) without converting it on my PC?
5) Can it watch all youtube videos on it without glitches?

Thanks in advance
AEA64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
AEA64

Exclamation

6) Is it easy to move a zoomed area on e-ink, for PDFs and web pages with multiple columns and text areas.

P.S. sorry can't edit
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
1) Nobody knows, the device doesn't exist long enough to gather such kind of info.
2) Based on number fo reports on this forum if you don't mess around much it's pretty reliable, but , again, nobody collected hard numbers.
3) Yes.
4) It depends on a codec and a container of your video. Even dedicated multimedia players can't play all possible combinations. It can play mp4, officially.
5) I don't believe anybody can answer this question as nobody could ever play all youtube videos.
6) I don't know. never do that.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
AEA64

Quote:
1) Nobody knows, the device doesn't exist long enough to gather such kind of info.
I'm sure some users used it mostly for reading and can tell how long battery lasts. I can wait.

Quote:
5) I don't believe anybody can answer this question as nobody could ever play all youtube videos.
LOL
I put the question wrong. I meant could it play 240/360/480p videos with current version of Flash?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEA64 View Post
I'm sure some users used it mostly for reading and can tell how long battery lasts. I can wait.

LOL
I put the question wrong. I meant could it play 240/360/480p videos with current version of Flash?
1) This question is also pretty ambiguous: such batteries live 3 - 4 years. But, apparently, you meant per charge: officially - about 11 hours and I observed pretty close number. While hibernating - I got 170 hours, but somebody saw up to 10 days.
5) I use Youtube app: it has only two settings: default and high quality for mobile (whatever it means).
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:

LOL
Like ptsenter I had to read your question twice before I realised you were asking about how long the battery charge lasted just using the e-ink screen.

I can't give you a definitive answer only having a full size edge, EE, but on that I get about three days mainly using the e-ink screen but frequently needing to check something via the LCD screen as well.

As far as I know the latest version of flash does not work on the PE and I've not been able to get it to work on my EE either. So if the videos you want to watch use that then you would be out of luck.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
AEA64

Thank you guys. You've been very helpful.

One more question. If the battery dies (I think spares won't be available when I need them), will it work from its AC adapter?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you guys. You've been very helpful.

One more question. If the battery dies (I think spares won't be available when I need them), will it work from its AC adapter?
I wouldn't say *won't* be available - they maybe, my parts guy will be looking into that when he has some spare time.

There is no valid reason why it shouldn't work from just the AC adapter, my EE will, I just tried it.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
AEA64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
I wouldn't say *won't* be available - they maybe, my parts guy will be looking into that when he has some spare time.

There is no valid reason why it shouldn't work from just the AC adapter, my EE will, I just tried it.
Thanks. This gives some hope.

So how about my 6th question, moving a zoomed area on e-ink, does anybody know how it's done on PE? Can you move a zoomed area with a move of a finger on the screen, like on tablets/phones?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Woody_in_MN
Enthusiast
Woody_in_MN began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wouold say it is a good buy despite the company being defuinct. That is the biggest downside. I think I got lucky as I bought mine used with the Android 2.2 already installed. Every youtube I've tried I am able to play. The only part in the design that seems a bit iffy is the hinge (where the speakers are located). If you treat it like you are an adult - you s/b fine. I will say I already had a netbook, and my eDGe has NOT replaced my netbook. It is moe of a replacement for an upscale PDA I had.

Can't answer your #6.
Woody_in_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
So how about my 6th question, moving a zoomed area on e-ink, does anybody know how it's done on PE? Can you move a zoomed area with a move of a finger on the screen, like on tablets/phones?
This might give you some partial answer:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153732

And no, you can't move, or do anything for that matter, with a finger on e-ink side.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Thanks. This gives some hope.

A finger will work on the LCD screen but you must use the supplied stylus on the reader screen - it is a Wacom penenabled digitiser over an e-ink panel.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
AEA64

How would you compare PE's reading capabilities to Kindle's (Kindle 3 or 4)?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
I can't compare it with the smaller kindles - I have the older DX. Comparing the two larger screens I would say my EE is the better one, not only for reading but it has the ability to let me make notes as necessary - either directly on what I'm reading or as notes in an app on the tablet screen.

Another thing. You can also add reader apps to the tablet which allow reading at night without the addition of a light although that does tend to run the battery down faster.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
I have a Kindle and I like the PE reader a little better when it comes to reading PDF's, the fact that it allows you to reflow PDF's is a huge plus. As far as Epubs and other formats I haven't noticed a huge difference. Plus you can install a flashlight app to the LCD side and use that as a light for the reader, something you can't do with the kindle w/o buying an accessory.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote