Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #31
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
I am no fan of the Kindle either. It works fine for all text books, but not for books with any kinds of images.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #32
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
HarryT

1. You agree, don't you, that Kindle can't float images?
2. I found that images blow up unexpectedly, and that extra blank pages are created. What's more, there is no real documentation about when and why it does this. Also, I occasionally find discrepencies between how images are rendered in the Kindle Previewer and the Kindle itself.
3. Have you tried to make images on pages in a way that look suitable on both Kindle for ipad and an actual Kindle?

I can't recall offhand, but I seem to remember that there are problems with wrapping images inside div tags in Kindle. This breaks my workflow, which is Docbook to epub to Kindle (via Kindlegen). I imagine there are fewer problems when you are just starting with HTML.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #33
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Is is possible to do "more" using epub?
Yes, simple as that. The Adobe ePub renderer in my PRS505 is several years old, but can still render in ways that the latest Kindle couldn't even dream of, and we're talking about basic elements such as margin control. This is because Amazon has failed abysmally in their stewardship of the .mobi format - it's still basically the same thing you could get over a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
there's no specification of "how to write a dictionary" in the ePub standard.
I have to say that, being a fluent native speaker, I don't quite understand this obsession with ebooks and dictionaries. But I'll admit that it's the sort of thing to file under 'this might be a good thing'. There are a lot of things that need to be fixed before worrying about dictionaries though.

Quote:
The current ePub standard can't replace PDF or Topaz for complex layouts, but the new ePub 3 standard should be able to do so.
ePub 3 is a SCANDAL. They had a chance to address the current failings and point the way forward and they failed completely. Where is the page model? Where is the specification for concurrent text flows? (Try typesetting Embassytown in ePub - there's no option other than to rely on embedded jpegs.) Where is the specification for overlapping windows? You can't do something as basic as vertically center text on a page in the current standard - guess what, you can't do it in ePub 3 either. FAIL. ePub 3 fails to approach the rich standards of print layout in any shape or form.

Last edited by charleski; 07-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #34
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Possible in ePUB, not in Mobi: Embedded fonts, CSS, right margins, SVG, PNG.

Possible in Mobi, not in ePUB: Dictionaries.
No CSS - argh! Jeepers.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_ink View Post
No CSS - argh! Jeepers.
There's no CSS within a Mobi file, but Mobi creation tools such as Mobi Creator will convert CSS into the corresponding tag attributes, so it doesn't mean that you can't use CSS in your source files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
There's no CSS within a Mobi file, but Mobi creation tools such as Mobi Creator will convert CSS into the corresponding tag attributes, so it doesn't mean that you can't use CSS in your source files.
It would be better to say, It converts some CSS to Mobi, since not all CSS is convertible and it some cases the results are not anything like what you want or expect. It depends on the available tags in the Mobi format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would be better to say, It converts some CSS to Mobi, since not all CSS is convertible and it some cases the results are not anything like what you want or expect. It depends on the available tags in the Mobi format.

Dale
Yes, that's very true. Thanks for the clarification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote