Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Insane PC Question

I need some help guys. I got roped into installing a NIC card into an old HP Pavilion running XP Home. After wrestling a bit, I got the card slotted in finally and booted up. And the following happened:

1. XP booted and claimed that a network cable was unplugged. I figured I needed to load the driver for the new card. While I was watching the screen, the mouse stopped working, and the keyboard too. I unplugged both and then the mouse started working ... and then stopped again.

So, I rebooted.

2. The mouse is fully functional on the login screen. When XP fully loads, neither the mouse or keyboard works.

I don't want to open this up and pull the NIC card - and this is really not making sense to me.

Any clues or hints before I pull out a hammer?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Sounds like an old-fashioned IRC/DMA conflict. Don't remember if I ever had one of those on XP, though. (Unlike older versions of Windows, when installing a new piece of hardware meant spending hours (or days!) moving jumpers and shuffling bits.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I thought of that - but had never encountered it after leaving Win 98.

What was creepy was initially everything worked just dandy ... and then the mouse & keyboard stopped working.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Try uninstalling all three in device manager. Restart the computer.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote