Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I find that even in a relatively brightly lit room, using the light on my Aura has its advantages such as improving contrast and keeping the screen evenly illuminated regardless of how I position it. I can also confirm that I have spent many a night reading in a darkened room without the eye fatigue one experiences with a backlit device like a cell phone or tablet.
That's the same for me as well. Even reading outdoors, you're sometimes half shade/half sun, or a breezy day making trees move causes a constant change between sun/shade, so leaving the light on even outside works very well for me. I've got really bad eyes all my life, very farsighted, astigmatism, and my eyes never tire or hurt from the front light on ereaders.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #17
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrn View Post
Context:

Reason: I don't want my young children to always turn the backlight on (and they do even if i turn brightness to 0%): I precisely bought this device to avoid them staring at backlighted screens all the day. (If at the end it's the same result as giving them a backlighted iPad, it's useless to use an ereader!)
Dont worry. I think This Led is safer then your living room lights.

Screen is using diffrent tech than the tablet screens.

Kobo Forma new user
ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@zm, are you preventing your kids from using a cell phone or a tablet since the brightness can be turned up and it's always back lit with no way to turn it off?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:58 AM   #19
zrn
zrn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@zm, are you preventing your kids from using a cell phone or a tablet since the brightness can be turned up and it's always back lit [...]
Yes, they don't have any access to a phone or tablet when they're alone in their room on the evening. They can play with LEGO, read books, read with the ereader, draw, or whatever they want etc.

But letting a 8 or 9-year old kid with a full internet device without an eye from a parent, after 7 pm is really something we don't want at home. I know I'm probably old-fashioned, but I accept that

Last edited by zrn; 05-15-2020 at 05:01 AM.
zrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
But letting a 8 or 9-year old kid with a full internet device without an eye from a parent, after 7 pm is really something we don't want at home. I know I'm probably old-fashioned, but I accept that
Another reason why e-ink readers are better for reading. While they may have simple browsers, they are pretty much worthless for any real browsing.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
After 7 PM? Near as I can tell, the dark side of the Internet is accessible 24/7.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #22
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Yes, they don't have any access to a phone or tablet when they're alone in their room on the evening. They can play with LEGO, read books, read with the ereader, draw, or whatever they want etc.

do what works for you.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:43 AM   #23
Villain
Enthusiast
Villain began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Will it be the same in Kobo Libra 2 ereader? I mean, are they built the same way and it will be easy to know what cable to disconnect. I haven't bought it yet but I need to be sure that I will be able to turn it off completely. I've just checked with their customer service and they said it can't be done in the ereader's menu.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:46 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
Will it be the same in Kobo Libra 2 ereader? I mean, are they built the same way and it will be easy to know what cable to disconnect. I haven't bought it yet but I need to be sure that I will be able to turn it off completely. I've just checked with their customer service and they said it can't be done in the ereader's menu.
Don't open your Kobo or you'll void the warranty.

There is a solution that works. Go to Settings > Reading settings and uncheck Swipe left edge to adjust brightness.

When the light is off on a Kobo, it's truly off. Just don't turn on the light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:19 PM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

There is a solution that works. Go to Settings > Reading settings and uncheck Swipe left edge to adjust brightness.

Yes. Absolutely to all of that!

Tested about 7 Kobo models. No issues with turning off light completely.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:19 AM   #26
Villain
Enthusiast
Villain began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:

Thank you! My Kobo Libra will be delivered today so that's very useful info. I'm happy to hear that the light can be permanently turned off this way.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlight, firmware, hack, light