Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Fumbar
Fumbar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I purchased 5 Libras and 2 Formas and all of them have light gradient issues.

On the handle side of these devices the screen is slightly darker and "cooler" in color temperature. This issue does not disappear at any color temperature or brightness. Both Formas had the color temp/brightness issue as well as a significant dark band at the very edge of the screen (handle side).

For people considering trading in devices with these issues, my small sample seems to imply it is unlikely you will receive a unit with a "perfect" screen.

I ended up keeping only the one with the least dramatic gradient and returned everything else.
Fumbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wonder how many people are having this. I am on the fence in getting a Forma or Libra. I have Kindles, Kobos, Nooks and they all have some sort of off-color to the screens to a small extent except for the new oasis
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I wonder how many people are having this. I am on the fence in getting a Forma or Libra. I have Kindles, Kobos, Nooks and they all have some sort of off-color to the screens to a small extent except for the new oasis
It’s not a big enough thing on my two Formas that I’d consider returning either.

I have two because the USB port is going on one and I don’t feel like that’s a valid reason a year or so from purchase. It’s possible I did something to break it since I hadn’t had issues until recently.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
Fumbar
Fumbar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
According to a poll of 50 users on a Forma thread only 15% reported no issues. However, I assume more people with issues show up in those kinds of threads. I love the Libra that I have kept but I do notice the brightness/color gradient when I'm reading in a dark environment.
Fumbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got a Forma recently and it has the stripe down the handle side. Pretty bad too.
Thinking about asking for a replacement.

Anyone had success with that?
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #6
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I tried 3 Libras myself and all had this issue.

I actually think that people who say have no issues with their lighting are just not as sensitive to it. I honestly believe every device has this uneven lighting. I can see it in every single review picture I find on the internet. Even in the pictures of the people who claim to have a perfect device I see this gradient.

But other people say I'm just too sensitive to it. *shrugs*
I know I couldn't accept it after I tried it for 3 weeks. I ended up returning the one I initially kept.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It’s so frustrating, as the device is otherwise really awesome..

Even if people aren’t super sensitive to it - if you notice it at all, it’s so hard to not to see it all the time.

And we aren’t talking about a low-end/cheaper reader here. This is their TOP of the line.
It shouldn’t be like this.

I’m not sure if I’ll keep it or not. I’m already worried about what if I want to sell it a year on. An eBay buyer would have no trouble claiming a “defective item” and winning that argument all day long with a simple screen photo.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The forma has a much more pronounced quarter inch where the light is alternatively much cooler/brighter and a wide dark band. that's been consistent on all of them I've seen, (so well over a dozen now.)

The Libras I've examined do not have this issue.. at least, not to the degree that it's noticeable in brightly lit environment. Alas, with the trend copied from Oasis to move LED's to the side means that the gradient that will always exist on these screens is much more noticeable. (For those of us with a horizontal script reading in portrait mode.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Well, I just ordered a Libra.

I hope I'll be lucky...
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My H2O does not have any sort of color gradient. It's lighting is very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlight, frontlight, gradient, light, screen