Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
aglick
Enthusiast
aglick began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Wink Good Internet Browsers?

So I'm trying to find the best internet browser to use for my eDGe. Up until now I've been using Opera, but I'm very disappointed with how it behaves when I try to access my college's student website. Is there a firefox or chrome browser that works on the eDGe? I tried downloading firefox to my smartphone and transferring it to my eDGe but it doesn't install for some reason on my eDGe. I also heard Dolphin was a good browser, but then i read this blog post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1319529

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?
aglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
I've used mostly the stock, sometimes Dolphin HD. Didn't know!
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
aglick
Enthusiast

the stock closes automatically whenever i try to use it.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
which firmw release have you got on the edge?
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
aglick
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
which firmw release have you got on the edge?
I don't know. I'm running Android Version 2.2.1 and Kernel Version 2.6.34.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglick View Post
So I'm trying to find the best internet browser to use for my eDGe. Up until now I've been using Opera, but I'm very disappointed with how it behaves when I try to access my college's student website. Is there a firefox or chrome browser that works on the eDGe? I tried downloading firefox to my smartphone and transferring it to my eDGe but it doesn't install for some reason on my eDGe. I also heard Dolphin was a good browser, but then i read this blog post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1319529

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

The blog is blown out of proportion. In the quest to deliver a better mobile web experience many companies are using the very techniques Dolphin was being slammed for.

People want mobile web browsing to be fast. A big part of this is the competition among browsers to be able to render the Web more quickly to mobile users. Dolphin redirects were basically to a proxy server checked against cached pages in Dolphin's Webzine server in an attempt to speed up the web-browsing experience. If the webpage could be delivered in Webzine format it was, otherwise it was redirected and delivered in mobile format. No PII was collected and although browsing habits may be tracked they were not necessarily attributable to any specific user.

In the latest versions of Dolphin the Webzine feature is disabled by default and nothing is transmitted to their servers.

The real problem is that most browsers tend to crash on the EE with Ermine installed. I have found that Opera Mini is the most stable browser for the EE. It has never crashed on me. If you take a look at my Resource Sticky there are some links to some other good browsers you can try like Miren, Ninesky, and xScope.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878

Also, visit 1Mobile (www.1Mobile.com) and do a search for Web browser and you may find something that better suits your needs. Good luck.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-26-2012 at 08:18 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
Maxthon Browser

I've found that Maxthon browser works well. I use it for a 3rd browser at work and it runs fast, looks similar to chrome, is stable, and uses very low resources.

I was able to install it on the PE and it works. Sometimes it hangs if i open too many tabs; but that's more due to memory and opening 15 tabs.

Search for Maxthon browser and you can find it in most repositories. It also supports saved bookmarks across platforms (computer and the PE, mobile on your phone, etc); and does have some cool features like a night time reading (which turns a page black to make it easier to read).

I think it works really well on the pocket edge.
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglick View Post
the stock closes automatically whenever i try to use it.
it might be your flash if you installed another version. that was my problem. once it was uninstalled my issue resolved
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, internet browsers, opera