Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Thumbs down

Continuing the off topic theme, I have to say that, in my experience, how people view projects is very dependant on how old they are. Those drought up in the digital age, for the most part, only think in digital answers whereas those of us that cut on teeth on electronics in the 50s tend to think in discrete components but have learned to use 'that which does the job best'.

There are, of course, exceptions as always in life.

Quote:
if you can learn to program an Arduino board you can learn enough about electronics to know when you need or don't need a uC
You would think so Mark, but it isn't always so as my interviewing potential electronics engineers has shown.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
KeithSink
KeithSink began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
I'm currently developing my games in Monkey. It's a cross platform that supports HTML5, Android, iOS, Mac and PC. It's still early but updates are coming out regularly and the guy who writes it has a track record of compilers going back to the Amiga days. You can find more about it here: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/
KeithSink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
FORTH forever!

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
lol brainf*ck for the WIN!!!!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Oh yeah, FORTH. We need a language still harnessed to arbitrary code page sizes dictated by ancient hardware! I liked the stack though -- got used to using it with HP calculators.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
Oh yeah, FORTH. We need a language still harnessed to arbitrary code page sizes dictated by ancient hardware! I liked the stack though -- got used to using it with HP calculators.
Couldn't you also use a number as a variable name? Might be something else though...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about, but Mark's photo is SUPER CREEPY. That hand could do some serious tickling.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #23
mr_ed
Connoisseur
mr_ed began at the beginning.

Device: been e-reading since Handspring's first PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I liked the stack though -- got used to using it with HP calculators.
I still remember the HP-35 with fondness. Crap. Where did those 40 years go?

BASIC, on the other hand, most strongly takes me back to Radio Shack's Color Computer and Model 100.

-- Ed
mr_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #24
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about, but Mark's photo is SUPER CREEPY. That hand could do some serious tickling.
You can view/DL the full sized image here:
http://mark.rehorst.com/Bug_Photos/fractal_hands_c.jpg

MR
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #25
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
New version of RFO BASIC! out. V1.11 now supports user defined functions, and has a GrabUrl command which will load the source of a web page into a variable.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Does anyone know if you pass variables to functions by reference or explicitly? And if the function can alter the value of any variable or just those being passed? I'm not clear on how tightly this BASIC adheres to structured programming rules.

I wish there was code that used all these features that I could reverse-engineer. I learn best that way. No matter how the documentation is structured, there is invariably a dozen ways to form the syntax and only one works. Seeing it used successfully cuts out all the frustration.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
From the help file on the website:

"More about function parameters and
variables.

All variables within an instantiation
of a function are private to that
instantiation of the function. A
variable in the main program named
v$ is not the same variable v$ within
a function. Furthermore, a variable named
v$ in an recursively called function is
not the same v$ in the calling function."

So vars must be passed by value, not reference and you can only modify vars within the function, and not affect vars in the main program.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #28
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie

Awwww. Too bad. Still, that's the difference between functions and procedures. I wonder if a function can return an array?

According to posts on the forum of that BASIC!, the gr.touch functions return a boolean, and coordinates, so they do multi-returns.