Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 3.4.1 - Released for Mini

Kobo have just announced on the beta list group that they have released the latest firmware. This is version 3.4.1 and is being released for the Mini only. It is a catch-up release to bring the Mini in line with the other devices. That means the Mini gets the tiled home screen. The rest of the interface is the same as on the Touch. That should mean few changes outside of the home screen from 2.6.2 on the Mini.

Apart from home screen, the only other visible change that I know of is adding an "Annotations" menu item to a books menu in the library list. If the book has annotations, the option will be displayed. Selecting this will open the annotations list for the book.

The build information for this release is "3.4.1 (d83b1b0e2a, 05/25/2014)". The release is "to a small set of Kobo Mini users". This is their usual process and will slowly roll out to the rest of the Mini users if there are no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Wow! That is awesome news! Thanks for sharing!

Should a patched mini be returned to it's unpatched state before updating?

Last edited by booklover6; 05-28-2014 at 11:52 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

great news for Mini owners: and should a sideloaded 3.1.1 be rolled back to get the update?

EDIT: short answer is, no, connected to Kobo desktop, and it is downloading the firmware now.

Last edited by paola; 05-28-2014 at 12:59 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Depends on the type of patch. The Metazoa style patches should not cause any issues. Some of the patches for alternative readers can cause issues.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just downloaded Kobo desktop for the first time, and plugged in my Mini. Will it automatically download the firmware? Right now it is syncing books and covers from the cloud.
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Depends on the type of patch. The Metazoa style patches should not cause any issues. Some of the patches for alternative readers can cause issues.

Regards,
David
Thanks, no alternative readers on mine.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Booklover6: Remember, the patch is NOT released to all mini's yet; so even with Desktop you might not get the new version.

You can also get the patch via WiFi when you sync.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Booklover6: Remember, the patch is NOT released to all mini's yet; so even with Desktop you might not get the new version.

You can also get the patch via WiFi when you sync.
Thanks Peter, it did automatically download the update through the desktop! It is updating now!

I did try syncing but it was stuck on downloading 1/34, I assume it was trying to download my books, which I didn't want it to do. So I tried it this way.

Hah, jokes on me. It just went to 2.6.2

Last edited by booklover6; 05-28-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

I did try syncing but it was stuck on downloading 1/34, I assume it was trying to download my books, which I didn't want it to do. So I tried it this way.
Remember you can always go to the Kobo website and delete books; they will remain in the trash there but will not sync to your device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember you can always go to the Kobo website and delete books; they will remain in the trash there but will not sync to your device.
I didn't know that, because I never sync. But it seems syncing over the desktop works better in that regard, as it didn't try to download any books.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Right, moving books to the trash doesn't delete them.

I have only 6 books on "I'm Reading," while the rest are in the trash. If one wants a book in the trash to sync (and then to read), simply move it out of the trash to "I'm Reading."

I just tried to sync and I'm not getting the update, which doesn't surprise. I'll probably be able to get it in about 2 weeks.

I don't use the desktop app - I have no need for it.

By the way, thanks for the information on the update.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This is good news. Shows Kobo haven't forgotten the Mini!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
This is good news. Shows Kobo haven't forgotten the Mini!!
Yes it does. And the timing for the beta's was great. They started the day before the last "the Mini is dead" thread!
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Here's the download link in case anyone wants to sideload it http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.4.1.zip

Edit: affiliate = Eason or WHSmith

Last edited by arasyi; 05-28-2014 at 10:45 PM.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Is there any reason a US owner shouldn't use that firmware? (I don't shop from my device).

Tags
kobo firmware.