Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Garden
Garden began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
I cant update the firmware on mini

Hi guys,

I got a kobo mini and disconnected it accidentally so the green light was flashing. I found here the green light flashing thread and tried to reset and also tried a factory reset. I even tried to open it to replace the firmware in the card, but when i put the card in a card reader the card threw a message that it needed formatted and after being so desperate and fed up i clicked format instead of clicking cancel. DOH (yes... i know *hides face in shame*

So I need help to reinstall the firmware or all whatever it needs for my reader to boot. I would appreciate a step by step thingy because as you can realise Im not comp saavy.... I will appreciate it for life Thank you!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You need some kind poster to give you an .img file that contains an image of what was on the uSD card you formatted. Then you can follow this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122 from the point that you write the image onto an uSD card.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-04-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Garden

Lets hope im lucky and someone has a mini who wants to share an image with me. Thank you Ken
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, the Mini is the only one I don't have an image for. There have been requests for one in the past, but I can't think of the results. From memory, someone has tried a Touch N905C image and it worked. You could have a look through the image request threads in the developers section and see if there are any responses for the Mini.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-600,T2, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kindle 3G/PW4/PW5/O3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
Lets hope im lucky and someone has a mini who wants to share an image with me. Thank you Ken
PM sent
coolloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Garden

thank you.
I tried both ways, how ken said and how coolloser suggested but beside im not the brightest crayon in the box for these things, when i tried to use the usb writer to put the image back into the card, it does not recognize the usb card reader hence, does not recognize the drive where the sd card is. I tried in the other way... how cool suggested and used the number from the only sticker i found inside my mini as the original box is in the uk and im not there currently. The thing that sounds a bit off is there are too many numbers on that sticker. So after step 5 i got lost because even though i changed the 2gb card for a 4gb card i had sometime in a mobile phone, i could not manage to plant the image in it and after hours of trying im a redhead full of bald patches :I. I am clueless how to use linux, I use windows and downloaded the hex neo editor. What am i doing wrong this time guys? Seems some girls like me shouldn't stay away from electronics and dedicate to bake biscuits? arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need a working MicroSD card reader, to do this. If the card reader is working in other programs, you may need to use a different image writing tool. Google "flash drive image writer".

Place your new MicroSD card into your computer. Again dismiss any prompts that popup.

Next, open up "Flash Drive Image Writer". Here you will select the .img file That you were sent. Also select your destination drive. Click Write Image. Read the prompt and click yes if you want to format the destination SD and continue.

Step 3. Setting up the new SD Card:
Next load up “MiniTool® Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8”.
In the main area (top half), select your newly setup SD card. To verify you have the right drive, it should be set up as follows, or something close: (Unallocated) 10MB, rootfs(EXT4) 256 MB..., recoveryfs(EXT4) 256MB.., KOBOeReader (FAT32) 1.33 GB.., (Unallocated) [however big the rest of your sd card is. 5.9GB for the 8GB card in the pictures].
Select the KOBOeReader drive (either in the upper or lower half).
Right click it and select Extend.
From here move the slider all the way to the right. You should see a total of both the unallocated space and the KOBOeReader partition. In the case of my pictures, it’s 7.19GB for the 8GB sd card.
You’ll see at the bottom of this window that the new size of Unallocated will be 0.00KB, that’s how you know you’ve done it right. Click OK.
Verify that the unallocated space at the end of the SD card is no longer there and that the KOBOeReader partition is taking up the bulk of the SD card.
Click Apply in the upper left of the application and yes to the prompt AFTER reading it ;-)
It will go through it’s process. It hangs a bit at the end, that’s normal. Click OK once it’s done.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a 4gig card you don't need to worry about the hex editor and all of that. The instructions I sent were how to put the 4 gig image onto a 2 gig card so you don't need to worry about that.
Download this tool
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
this is a decent disk imager for windows and works fairly straightforward.
Click the folder and navigate to where the .img file is and make sure you have the right drive selected before you write to it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Garden

Thanks again!
when i try to write it this message appears:
Not enough space on disk: Size 7744512 sectors Available: 7680000 sectors. Sector size 512 What do you suggest i do, guys?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks again!
when i try to write it this message appears:
Not enough space on disk: Size 7744512 sectors Available: 7680000 sectors. Sector size 512 What do you suggest i do, guys?
Get an 8GB or 16GB MicroSD card? That might be the easiest approach. There are ways to fix the size if an image, such as what coolloser would have been describing with the HexEditor, but Samsung 8GB cards are fairly cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...37&ignorebbr=1

It looks like coollooser made his image on a Linux machine, which makes the image just a little larger than a windows machine would. This would be no problem when making your own images for your own writing to SD, all on the same machine.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Garden

I bought an 8gb one and seems all worked great. thank you so so so so much to both I can see a little happy face in my kobo, will see what happens later once it is charged. Will update you later how is it working
Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
coolloser
Enthusiast

Quote:
I bought an 8gb one and seems all worked great. thank you so so so so much to both I can see a little happy face in my kobo, will see what happens later once it is charged. Will update you later how is it working
Ya! Happy face is a good sign.

BTW, I'm a girl as well.. not enough of us around here I would say.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolloser View Post
Ya! Happy face is a good sign.

BTW, I'm a girl as well.. not enough of us around here I would say.
With a name like "coolloser", who'd of guessed?

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Garden

Ohhhhhh Then i dont feel so alone

Its working but there is a tiny issue. It does not turn off fully, is there a way to do that? or am i doomed to just adjust the settings to sleep after x time and turn off after x time?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Try plugging it into a computer. This can work to turn on it on when it doesn't respond otherwise. Using the pinhole reset can also do it.

As to problems after restoring an image like this, I found that a factory reset solved things. I have used an image like this on my Glow twice. Both times a couple of strange things happened, so I did the factory reset and everything worked fine.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote