Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Ponik78
Ponik78 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Barnes & Noble Nook GlowLight 7,8 (2019)

Hello!
I have some questions about Barnes & Noble Nook GlowLight Plus (2019).
1. In the first batch of these E-books there was a pixel bug on the screen, was this problem somehow fixed?
2. In the PCmag review they say that there are problems with software. Big-sized PDF-files cause glitches while loading. Is it still the case or is it fixed?
3. In the same review they say EPUB support is also buggy. An EPUB of a Kindle book converted through Calibre was announced as "corrupted," even though it displayed fine on a Kobo e-reader. Was this bug also fixed?
Ponik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponik78 View Post
Hello!
I have some questions about Barnes & Noble Nook GlowLight Plus (2019).
1. In the first batch of these E-books there was a pixel bug on the screen, was this problem somehow fixed?
2. In the PCmag review they say that there are problems with software. Big-sized PDF-files cause glitches while loading. Is it still the case or is it fixed?
3. In the same review they say EPUB support is also buggy. An EPUB of a Kindle book converted through Calibre was announced as "corrupted," even though it displayed fine on a Kobo e-reader. Was this bug also fixed?
1. No pixel issues on mine
2. No idea, as I don't use PDF
3. I have about 900 epubs currently sideloaded to my Nook from Calibre. No issues so far. The trick is to use only Calibre for both file transfer and ejecting the device afterwards.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
My Nook has a pixel defect. It is very small and is right up against the bezel so I didn't even see it for 4 days, and I was looking for it. I decided not to return it because my local store was out of stock at the time. It doesn't bother me.

I have quite a few sideloaded books on mine (not sure how many). Some are from Amazon and some from Kobo and some from Christianbook.com. I haven't had any problems with sideloaded content at all.

I can't help with pdf because I don't have any. Overall, I am very happy with my Nook.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
I bought my Glowlight Plus 7.8 when it was first released and there is one tiny bright dot shining in the center of a bookmark. I've had no problems with sideloading. I really miss the Caecilia font that is installed on my old Nook Simple Touch. I use and love that font on my Aura One, and loved it on my first e-reader, a Kindle 3 keyboard, because it is easier for me to read. If reviews are promising on the new Kobo Libra I may sell my Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3 and buy the Kobo, which is pretty costly for the sake of a font. As far as I know there is no way to sideload Caecilia or any other font on the Nooks.
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady loves E ink View Post
As far as I know there is no way to sideload Caecilia or any other font on the Nooks.
No. But you can embed it in your books with Calibre. It will then show up on the Nook as the publisher default.
Advert
Old 09-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
Lady loves E ink
Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Lady loves E ink beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus (2019), Glowlight 3, KA1, Nook Simple Touch
Thank you so much for the tip, I am going to try the Calibre font embed with the book I am reading right now.
Lady loves E ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given all the issues with the nook, I suggest going for a Kobo. The firmware has more options and works better. Plus, it's not so buggy with ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given all the issues with the nook, I suggest going for a Kobo. The firmware has more options and works better. Plus, it's not so buggy with ePub.
Actually the new Libra, at least, is more buggy with epubs than the 7.8" Glowlight Plus. The latter is not particularly buggy at all. But it's certainly slower and has much fewer options.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I don't know why everyone keeps complaining about the Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8. I have not had any problems with it. I have books from B&N and many sideloaded books. I am not sure why everyone says it is buggy. I read books and it works just fine.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I don't know why everyone keeps complaining about the Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8. I have not had any problems with it. I have books from B&N and many sideloaded books. I am not sure why everyone says it is buggy. I read books and it works just fine.
The people saying it's buggy are the people who don't have it.

I don't think any of the actual owners have said it's buggy. It's a bit slow, but not buggy.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady loves E ink View Post
Thank you so much for the tip, I am going to try the Calibre font embed with the book I am reading right now.
That's the way I do it for my Sonys. Even works on eReaders as old as the Ectaco Jetbook or Astak EzReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The people saying it's buggy are the people who don't have it.

I don't think any of the actual owners have said it's buggy. It's a bit slow, but not buggy.
I think they're confusing it with the Nook Glowlight 3 which did have some real issues. It looks like some of those may have been fixed. (Not sure, I don't have one.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Actually the new Libra, at least, is more buggy with epubs than the 7.8" Glowlight Plus. The latter is not particularly buggy at all. But it's certainly slower and has much fewer options.
Given the current 4.18.x firmware for Kobo, I would say your statement that ePub on Kobo is more buggy then on nook is no longer correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
On all FW since I got my Kobo Aura H2O it's superior to Nook Simple Touch I have (got cheap so I could loan books I've written to friends etc). I was loading kepubs for a while (accidentally due to not understanding the Kobo Driver instructions on Calibre) but now load epubs. I read books I buy from Amazon downloaded via PC for my Paper White 3 (bought just as 2018 PW4 came out). The Libra looks interesting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nooks aren't buggy except for the Glowlight 3.

But I do agree with the Kobo firmware having more options.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote