Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@acprinter, turn WiFi off. Send your eBooks to your Kindle with Calibre and see if you still lose them. I cannot see Amazon removing eBooks from anyone's Kindle. It's most likely a problem with your Kindle. But this way, you will know for sure Amazon did not remove anything if they go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #17
Argon
Enthusiast
Argon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Did anyone ever figure out what happened here? I just had the same thing happen to me after enabling Wi-Fi for the first time in a long time (to get the new Kindle software update), and all of a sudden everything I had sideloaded from Calibre was gone. I'm about to plug it in to my computer and see what's going on. I also noticed that my Kindle was deregistered from my account, but I can't remember if I had done that on purpose myself before or not.
Argon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:32 AM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argon View Post
Did anyone ever figure out what happened here? I just had the same thing happen to me after enabling Wi-Fi for the first time in a long time (to get the new Kindle software update), and all of a sudden everything I had sideloaded from Calibre was gone. I'm about to plug it in to my computer and see what's going on. I also noticed that my Kindle was deregistered from my account, but I can't remember if I had done that on purpose myself before or not.
I think if it’s deregistered everything is removed. I don’t think it’s possible to use a kindle without it being registered to an Amazon account.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:37 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I think if it’s deregistered everything is removed. I don’t think it’s possible to use a kindle without it being registered to an Amazon account.
I don't think you are correct? I've seen quite a few posts about black listed Kindles and how they can't be registered, but can still be used for reading sideloaded content.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't think you are correct? I've seen quite a few posts about black listed Kindles and how they can't be registered, but can still be used for reading sideloaded content.
Sorry I meant with Amazon ebooks. The OP mentioned his kindle was registered.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:30 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Sorry I meant with Amazon ebooks. The OP mentioned his kindle was registered.
Sounds like you are aware of things, but just in case someone less knowledgeable is casually browsing this ...

You can still read "Amazon ebooks", you just need to put in some effort: get an old version of Kindle for PC, Calibre, a NoDRM plugin, and Bob's your uncle.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:05 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes, "sideloaded" content, but no collections or series. Though those work poorly on Kindles anyway. You can only manage collections via PC on the very old Kindles.

OTOH on my registered PW3 selecting Kid's Mode hid all "sideloaded" content. It came back when I disabled that. Really, really stupid given the 1000s of suitable classic PD texts.

Amazon is too controlling, so I only use my Kindle now as a "target" when buying eBooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #23
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
I agree that it cannot have been Amazon that removed my books. But the question still remains what happened?

I have 3 Paperwhites and the one in question has always exhibited odd behavior every now and then. My other 2 have always been fine. So I am going with the theory that it was just an internal glitch some kind. Although that was a heck of a glitch. The best piece of advise is to keep wifi off.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #24
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I had this same thing happen a few years back on a paperwhite, only with sideloaded books I used Calibre with. I ended up having to put the books back on with Calibre and they stayed that time. Never was sure what happened. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have happened again that I can tell.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
I agree that it cannot have been Amazon that removed my books. But the question still remains what happened?

I have 3 Paperwhites and the one in question has always exhibited odd behavior every now and then. My other 2 have always been fine. So I am going with the theory that it was just an internal glitch some kind. Although that was a heck of a glitch. The best piece of advise is to keep wifi off.
Have you connected your kindle to a PC and see whether the PC can see the books?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #26
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
I am not trying to accuse OP of anything, but one scenario is that if a book was purchase on Amazon, downloaded and transferred via USB (whether DRM was kept intact is irrelevant) to Kindle on airplane mode, and then the book was refunded on Amazon, then the next time the device is connected to the internet, that book will be automatically removed.

The same is true for returned Prime Reading/Kindle Unlimited books.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
I am not trying to accuse OP of anything, but one scenario is that if a book was purchase on Amazon, downloaded and transferred via USB (whether DRM was kept intact is irrelevant) to Kindle on airplane mode, and then the book was refunded on Amazon, then the next time the device is connected to the internet, that book will be automatically removed.

The same is true for returned Prime Reading/Kindle Unlimited books.
Amazon doesn't remove sideloaded books, no matter where purchased. If they did, there would have been a major hullabaloo years ago.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:40 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Amazon doesn't remove sideloaded books, no matter where purchased. If they did, there would have been a major hullabaloo years ago.
The one occasion I lost my sideloaded content on a Kindle, the issue was not that the content was missing since calibre still saw them as being on the Kindle, the issue was the Kindle's GUI did not show any of them as present. I ended up resetting the Kindle and resending the books. For me, it appeared to be more likely to be a glitch in the Kindle firmware than any deliberate action on Amazon's part.

To quote a variant of an quote by Ian Fleming: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #29
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If it has mobi-asin field then it's Amazon book. By default DRM removal doesn't clean the mobi-asin field, hence, still Amazon book and can be removed remotely.

You can judge me all you wanted, but my post come from personal experience.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
If it has mobi-asin field then it's Amazon book. By default DRM removal doesn't clean the mobi-asin field, hence, still Amazon book and can be removed remotely.

You can judge me all you wanted, but my post come from personal experience.
I have many books not purchased from Amazon, to which I've added a mobi-asin. By this logic, Amazon should remove them from my Kindle, as they're not in my Kindle library or anywhere in my Amazon purchase records. They have not done so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote