Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Drou
Enthusiast
Drou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th generation
Kobo Clara HD or Libra H2O?

Hello to everyone again I posted a couple of weeks or so ago regarding a possible upgrade from my 4th gen kindle. The very helpful advice I received then had me leaning more towards a Kobo but I wanted to have a look at one irl before making a definite decision.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a single bricks and mortar shop anywhere near me that has a display model of any Kobo whatsoever and I only found one with a single paperwhite kindle which wasn't even working! But it at least allowed me to see the contrast on a PW which I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is not that much better than the Kobo?

So I have watched a few reviews on youtube instead and there was a really helpful channel which compared kobos v kobos, kobos v kindles etc and the Clara sounds like it would be fine for my purposes. However, in the UK, the Libra H20 is only £10 more expensive (around US$13 if that helps!). But this youtube reviewer really didn't like the Libra and it's got me wondering if it's worth the negible extra?

I don't need the waterproof feature, the main attraction for me is the bigger screen although my 6 inch kindle screen is fine so it's probably not a necessity. I also think the page turn buttons might be useful but I've not use a touchscreen ereader so I don't know ergonomically which I'd actually prefer. Whichever one I buy I'd also get a folio case for it as I do like that book feel so I suppose the material of the physical device is not too important either.

So, for all the Kobo owners/lovers - considering the tiny price difference- would you pick the Clara or Libra and why? Thanks in advance for all your help!
Drou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If the price difference is small, get the Libra. 7'' screen is worth it, unless pocketability is more important to you.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Libra. No idea why the reviewer didn't like it. It's very comfortable to hold, is stable and has no bugs. The screen is good (not quite on the Oasis level, but still good).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I've had both and like both. I don't think you'd be disappointed in either one, but for only ten quid extra I'd definitely go Libra. The extra size is very helpful and so, imo, are the buttons
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Drou
Enthusiast
Drou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th generation
Thanks to you both, that's really helpful to know. It was this review if anyone's interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kHSuIk3AI&t=22s

His problem was with the buttons (and a few other things that I have no problem with) and so it got me wondering if they are as much of a pain to use as he seems to suggest and I'd be reverting to touch screen mode because of them, would it still be as comfortable and ergonomic to use. But I'm probably overthinking things! If he hadn't made such a big deal out of this my choice would def be for the bigger screen (as long as it fits in a handbag it's portable enough for me).
Drou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drou View Post
Hello to everyone again I posted a couple of weeks or so ago regarding a possible upgrade from my 4th gen kindle. The very helpful advice I received then had me leaning more towards a Kobo but I wanted to have a look at one irl before making a definite decision.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a single bricks and mortar shop anywhere near me that has a display model of any Kobo whatsoever and I only found one with a single paperwhite kindle which wasn't even working! But it at least allowed me to see the contrast on a PW which I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is not that much better than the Kobo?

So I have watched a few reviews on youtube instead and there was a really helpful channel which compared kobos v kobos, kobos v kindles etc and the Clara sounds like it would be fine for my purposes. However, in the UK, the Libra H20 is only £10 more expensive (around US$13 if that helps!). But this youtube reviewer really didn't like the Libra and it's got me wondering if it's worth the negible extra?

I don't need the waterproof feature, the main attraction for me is the bigger screen although my 6 inch kindle screen is fine so it's probably not a necessity. I also think the page turn buttons might be useful but I've not use a touchscreen ereader so I don't know ergonomically which I'd actually prefer. Whichever one I buy I'd also get a folio case for it as I do like that book feel so I suppose the material of the physical device is not too important either.

So, for all the Kobo owners/lovers - considering the tiny price difference- would you pick the Clara or Libra and why? Thanks in advance for all your help!
I believe the Kobo and Kindles have the same contrast. They use the same screens and both have capacitive touchscreens, so they should be the same. The Oasis might look a little better with it's glass screen.

Was the YouTube reviewer the Sikh guy? I think his name is Maneetpaul? If so, I remember his main complaint about the Libra was the page turn buttons.

I haven't ever gotten to see a Libra myself, but I have heard other complaints about the page turn buttons not being great. Other than the page turn buttons, the Libra has the same software, a larger screen and the waterproofing.

I've had my Clara for quite a while and do like it. I have zero complaints.

But I have been looking up reviews of the Libra. For £10, I'd say get the Libra.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Was the YouTube reviewer the Sikh guy? I think his name is Maneetpaul? If so, I remember his main complaint about the Libra was the page turn buttons.

I haven't ever gotten to see a Libra myself, but I have heard other complaints about the page turn buttons not being great.

Just out of interest, do you recall what the complaints were? I've had no issue with the buttons on mine, and they're the main reason I prefer my Libra to my H2O2.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've no complaints about the buttons on my Libra. But then, the existence of buttons is more important to me than their quality. Any button is better than no buttons.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've no complaints about the buttons on my Libra. But then, the existence of buttons is more important to me than their quality. Any button is better than no buttons.

Indeed! The only button I recall having generated many complaints is the power button on the Forma.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:00 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have both and the Libra is in a class of its own compared to the Clara HD. If you can get the Libra.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:54 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Just out of interest, do you recall what the complaints were? I've had no issue with the buttons on mine, and they're the main reason I prefer my Libra to my H2O2.
Here's the video. The complaints about page turn buttons start around 6:20.

He also thinks the device feels cheap and crackly. He loved the Clara, so I think his strikes are partly in comparison to that one. I'd also suspect he's comparing it to the Oasis, which is his preferred device.

In general, I like his reviews. His priorities are different than mine. He worries about bezel size and exporting notes. But his reviews are thorough and he explains his reasoning.

If you look through his other videos, he compares Kobos to Kindles, all Kobos against each other, all Kindles against each other and so forth.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-30-2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Indeed! The only button I recall having generated many complaints is the power button on the Forma.
Barry who used to post here would go on about the capacitive home button on the 2015 Glowlight Plus. I bought one and though I really like the device, he definitely had a point. It's easy to brush it when holding the Nook.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:04 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
From what I have read, it's easy to hit the page turn button in a way where it won't register the click.

I haven't used a Libra or even seen one in the wild. But I've read more than one mention of the buttons not being up to snuff when compared to those on the Forma, Oasis and Glowlights.

Having said that, I guarantee they are better than the page turn buttons on my Clara
Old 08-30-2021, 01:38 AM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Thanks for the link. It definitely came across to me like a hate piece with a few "this ain't awful" tassels thrown in for a veneer of objectivity. For example, he complains right at the start that the Libra only comes in 2 colors. Which is the same number of colors the Oasis offers. That does not sound like a well-reasoned, logical objection to me. It would have been more honest to say " I prefer the 2 colors available in the Oasis to the two colors available in the Libra"

Then again, my biggest issue with reviews like this is the fundamental "plastic = 'feels cheap'" argument. Believing that might be why he doesn't address the VERY sizable price advantage the Libra has over the Oasis. Or "had" I should say, since the Oasis is now listed as unavailable on Amazon.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:55 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

The plastic Libra is much nicer to hold than the Oasis with its metal back.

The "metal is better than plastic" attitude is justified in laptops, for example. But normally you don't hold a laptop in your hand while using it. Plastic may be cheaper, but it feels better in hand-held devices like ereaders. A metal device is cold and slippery.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:02 AM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The plastic Libra is much nicer to hold than the Oasis with its metal back.

The "metal is better than plastic" attitude is justified in laptops, for example. But normally you don't hold a laptop in your hand while using it. Plastic may be cheaper, but it feels better in hand-held devices like ereaders. A metal device is cold and slippery.
TBH, it' not the "plastic is cheap" view per se that bothers me, it's the insistence that it is an objective statement of fact, as opposed to a subjective opinion.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 08-30-2021 at 02:47 AM.