Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Amazon charges tax in my state too.

I got so excited when I saw OP's first post, so I headed right out to a nearby Target during my lunch break. ... Nope .. they didn't have it

They had the (non-functioning) demo Kindle 3 set up though. To my surprise, the white part of the screen wasn't as white as I previously thought. I guess I kept thinking Pearl ...Pearl.... Pearl white ....
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
zoom6zoom
zoom6zoom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Best Buy will also be getting them. They will debut in the 9/26 ad. Both the WiFi and 3G graphite will be available. The white will be available later, as will the DX. Not all stores will have product on launch date, you might want to call ahead to see if your store has them. This means BB will have all the leading readers available for comparison in one place.
zoom6zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
robinhooddaffy
robinhooddaffy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
liking the Kindle 3! I need help though. I have an audiobook that I have put on the K3. I created a "collection" and put the files in it. but they are not in the correct order. It shows them by the name of the book and the author. I do I get them in the right order? Triple checked, mine is a K3!
robinhooddaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #19
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You probably need to use Media Play or iTunes to rename the tracks in the appropriate order (depending on whether the book is WMA or MP3)

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I've never used the audiobook portion of my kindle, but if all you need to do is to rename the files I have always used a freeware program called mp3tag to rename all of my mp3s.

It's very easy to rename an entire folder of mp3s by using the tag information, or to edit tag info.

mp3tag
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #21
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Interesting...I'm going to have to go to my Target tomorrow and see.

What kind of packaging do they have? Is it the same cardboard "frustration free" that we get from Amazon direct?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #22
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Yes, it's the frustration free plain cardboard boxes.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Got my kindle 3(wi-fi)! Both wi-fi and wi-fi+3G are available at the Target (near Natick Mall, if you're in my area).

The new kindle devices were stashed away in a locked shelf, and a label said I had to ask a team member to unlock it.

The poor guy, he didn't know where the kindle readers were, so I pointed the location out for him. Then it wasn't clear which device was wi-fi only version (the spot with the $139 price tag was empty), so he grabbed a white one and a black one and ran his price-checker device over the labels. (At which point I spotted "wi-fi" on the side of one box, but he said he wanted to make sure he got the one with the right price.)

Anyway, I'm charging my new toy right now.
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Don, and enjoy your new toy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I was at Target yesterday and was told that the Kindle 3 would be on sale for the Sunday circular ads. I went early this morning to a different Target and they had ten or so wifi only in stock. Even though they had the K2 display.

The clerk said they were told not to sell them, but he said since they were on the floor and then shrugged his shoulders. I think he was was too tired to be up at 8:30.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid

The Target closest to me had this display. Interestingly, a Kindle 3 is on display with a Kindle 2 in the advertisement image in the background.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
a Kindle 3 is on display
Looks like it's plugged in. Is that a functioning demo unit? Or non-functional mock up?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Looks like it's plugged in. Is that a functioning demo unit? Or non-functional mock up?
It's a functioning demo unit. There's some software on it that runs through the features on the Kindle showing users how it works, so people are locked out of playing on it themselves. However, it's an actual K3 on display.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #29
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
The screen is so great that when I saw it at first I thought it was just a fake unit. Then the screen changed to another sales point, it freaked me out.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #30
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
people are locked out of playing on it themselves
So even if you go to Target to see one, you can't actually try it out? What's the point? I wanted to actually try before I buy.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote