Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
teebird150
teebird150 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Unable to Sync with desktop - bricked?

ive had the kobo for a couple of months now, no problems at all. yesterday i tried to install a book from borders.com/desktop app with my kobo e-reader. now im getting "unable to update your devices database. syncing cannot be completed". I'm assuming my kobo is now bricked.

i realize its probably because i already use the chapters.com/kobo desktop app and i shouldn't have tried borders. i naively assumed that the boarders.com desktop app would be the same thing as the chapters desktop app.

ive tried pin-holing restart. ive tried uninstalling/re-installing the chapters.com/kobo desktop. ive tried re-installing the firmware as suggested by the kobo helpdesk.

unfortunately still no joy. All my current books via calibre are still there, and i can use the kobo just fine. I simply cannot sync my purchases with the desktop app.

i am awaiting a reply from the kobo helpdesk but in the meantime, anyone found any other solutions to bricking?

appreciate any help

Last edited by teebird150; 09-04-2010 at 10:36 AM.
teebird150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
I had a problem similar to yours in whcih I couldn't add new books (either from Kobo, ADE or Calibre) or bookmark the books still on the K. I believe it was a corrupted sqlite database. What worked for me was to re-install everything from new (I had backed up all my files to my computer), If you don't have a backup, try to reinstall the sqlite database as in the instructions in the sticky.

You will loose all your other books except the 100 free ones, but you will be able to reload all your other books via ADE, Calibre or Kobo.

Not sure if this will solve your problem or not, but worth a try rather than considering it "bricked". I had also tried both a soft (paperclip) and hard (from the Advanced menu) reset as well as re-installing the firmware to no avail as well.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I think you can only use one Kobo app at a time. I had the Australian Borders app and then had to download the Kobo app to get a book that I purchased from kobobooks.com that didn't have an ePub file. Ever since then I haven't been able to sync with the Borders app.
Personally I find it much better to download everything into ADE and use that. Then it doesn't matter where you buy your books: Kobobooks, Borders or where ever.
I don't think your Kobo is bricked - it's just that the two slightly different versions of the desktop app are interfering with each other.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I had a problem syncing about a month ago, although not the exact same as what you've experienced.

I wrote into Kobo and they had me try a bunch of things, and nothing worked until the person who helped me deleted everything from my online library and re-added it. She had me sync then, and it worked. The only thing that bugged me was that she only re-added purchased books, not the free ones I had downloaded, and since there is no record of the free books, she could only help me with the ones I could remember having.

It took about a month from opening the ticket to finally being able to sync properly, but everything's working fine again for me. You should write to Kobo and I'm sure they'll help figure out what's happening, I'm pretty sure your device isn't bricked.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
teebird150

Thumbs up Back up and running - Thanks to All !

thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. i did reinstall the sqlite database as per the sticky and that has seemed to do the trick. Oddly though, my previously loaded bookes remained but ive lost the 100 free ones and my SD card no longer seems to work. BUT a small price to pay to have my kobo working again.

I believe you were all were correct - it was probably the two different desktop apps screwing everything up not truely "bricked".

Live and learn i guess!
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
It is interesting that restoring the sqlite database doesn't include the 100 free books. I thought that the "virgin" sqlite database only restored the 100 free books. You may want to check if you have the settings to not show them (go to your books menu, not I'm reading menu, then push the display button, 3rd button from top, and you should have a screen that now gives you the option under books to display "all books" or "my books". If you choose "all books" the 100 free books and added books will show, if you have only my books the 100 books will be hidden).

Sorry if you'r already aware of this and it isn't the problem.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
teebird150

i stand corrected. the 100 books are there after the sqlite refresh. i only needed to look properly. d'oh!

Tags
bricked, kobo reader, sync, sync with kobo, syncing