Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
puckstopper29
puckstopper29 began at the beginning.

Device: none
should I get nook 3g or wifi

Hi,
I've decided to get the nook. I like that it is updatable so I (hopefully) won't have to buy a new cool gadget every year or so.

I'm not certain if I should get the wifi or 3g. I won't travel with it much, and don't mind downloading books at home before I go, so wifi should do for me. Are there any other advantages to 3g, is it used for the web browser, are there rumors that the 3g will do things the wifi won't in the future with updates?

Your opinions are appreciated!
puckstopper29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper29 View Post
Hi,
I've decided to get the nook. I like that it is updatable so I (hopefully) won't have to buy a new cool gadget every year or so.

I'm not certain if I should get the wifi or 3g. I won't travel with it much, and don't mind downloading books at home before I go, so wifi should do for me. Are there any other advantages to 3g, is it used for the web browser, are there rumors that the 3g will do things the wifi won't in the future with updates?

Your opinions are appreciated!
I have a 3g, and I can say that there isn't anything special that you can do with it except for access the B&N store, and update "The Daily" (small articles that are available throughout the week) from almost anywhere. You can't use the browser over 3g, just wifi. I don't see anything 3g specific that a future update would enable.

The only reason that I bought the 3g for $199 was that I was able to get a free $50 gift card with it. Otherwise, I would have gone with the wifi version. I also like the gray back better than the white, but you can easily switch those out to other colors.

It's a tough decision only because the gadget lover in me always wants the newest and best! Knowing that one model does more than another usually bothers me
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I would say if the extra $50 in not a big deal then go for it. I like having mainly because I commute everyday and like to buy newspapers on the fly and be able to buy books especially via my work computer ( oops did I say that out loud) and have read to go on my device without having to connect to a wi fi network.

If the $50 makes it a little tight then just go for the wi fi. It's still plenty great and more and more places offer wi fi is tremendous. Also the Nook know has Free Att wi fi metro meaning you are hooking up for free where ever Att wi fi is being used.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K3 articles have all mentioned waiting to see what the Nook 2 has on it. It sounds like Nook 2 might be on its way in the very near future. The Nook owners might be able to give you better info based on what they have heard.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
It all depends on what you plan to do with it. Here's what I tell others:

Get a Wifi if:
- you have wifi access easily at home, work, or around
- you have a computer you can use to connect your nook and get new content
- you probably don't have daily things you want, such as newspapers, etc (if you don't have daily access)

Get the 3G if:
- you don't want to deal with the wifi access (recommended for those buying nook for older relatives)
- you don't HAVE regular access to a hotspot to buy a book when you finish yours
- you want to subscribe to newspapers or magazines

I personally bought a wifi. I work for B&N, so I'm there several times a week. Plus my Palm Pre Plus from Verizon has a free hot spot so I can open that up quickly and get what I need. I do not have newspaper or magazine subscriptions either.

JF
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I bought the 3g but I really think the WiFi is sufficient. There is free WiFi hot spot practically everywhere (home, airports, restaurants, Starbucks, McDonalds, even car wash). The 3g is for shopping and downloading B&N ebooks only. I knew it wouldn't be too useful but for $50, it is not too big of a difference so I got the 3g version. The 3g was an interesting features at first since I can play and "window shop" where ever I go. However, for practicality purposes of getting a book, it is not really necessary. In fact, I've hardly used it lately.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
puckstopper29
puckstopper29 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook 2? The folks at B&N swore there wouldn't be one. That there would be updates so that I wouldn't need to buy a new gizmo all the time. As for the new Kindle, it looked to me like some of the difference between what's on the current Nook and upcoming Kindle was no big deal to me OR could be fixed by an update (if b&n chooses to).
So...is there a new Nook coming out or is that a rumor?
puckstopper29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper29 View Post
Nook 2? The folks at B&N swore there wouldn't be one. That there would be updates so that I wouldn't need to buy a new gizmo all the time. As for the new Kindle, it looked to me like some of the difference between what's on the current Nook and upcoming Kindle was no big deal to me OR could be fixed by an update (if b&n chooses to).
So...is there a new Nook coming out or is that a rumor?
As a B&N bookseller I can say that they haven't told us a thing. I'm sure they're developing a new nook, but any sort of price, size, features, etc, haven't been sent out to us. We didn't even know about the price change until they sent us a sign package that morning. :P

JF
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... [Nook future versions] ... The folks at B&N swore there wouldn't be one ...

That is highly irresponsible of any B&N employee to state that. And is contrary to what employees are told to tell the public. If my local B&N employee made such an irrational statement to me, I'd sit down with the store manager and quietly have a cup of coffee with her and have her correct the situation.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote