Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
There is a specific book I want to buy, BN sells it for $22 for my nook, but it's only $16 at Amazon for Kindle. Is it possible to buy the Kindle version and get it into an ePub format which I can use?

Thanks.
I'd tell them both to go screw themselves at either price, but that's just me!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Unfortunately, you're not correct. The DCMA made removing digital locks a criminal offense. The fact that no one is enforcing it doesn't mean it's not a law.
The DMCA also said that no fair use rights were being removed by the law, which is in direct contradiction to many parts of the act as written. In most of the cases that have been decided, federal judges have ruled that DMCA trumps fair use but there are no ebook related rulings (there are, so far as I know, no end-user fair use rulings at all). There is very little doubt in the US that if I buy a DRM-free ebook I can legally read it on any reading device I own. This is a protected fair use, and the only question is whether DMCA removes this right for DRM-ridden ebooks or not. Note that UK law, for example, does not allow you to read DRM-free ebooks on any device you want. This is a right that has been granted in the US, but not everywhere.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
...removing DRM is different than distributing copyrighted works without permission.
Do you know how the law pertains to writing and/or distributing code for the purpose of removing DRM?

I know there are some C libraries (libdvdcss, etc) that are explicitly hosted outside of the US.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
There's actually a pretty good you-tube video out there that walks you through the kindle to nook conversion.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
Do you know how the law pertains to writing and/or distributing code for the purpose of removing DRM?
This is subject to criminal penalties, even if using the resulting software can be legal under some circumstances and even if you write the software outside the US. See United States v. ElcomSoft and Sklyarov for the only major case. Since then, most developers have decided to remain anonymous and, as you say, the software is typically hosted outside the US.
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #21
Silver)
Silver) began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have used Melodycan, it's really a good drm remover to remove drm and convert protected music and movies)
Silver) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
CyberCrone
CyberCrone began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
PC AZW files (which have the extension .prc).
A DRM-free AZW file is just a MOBI file, and Calibre can convert it to ePub.
This seems to be part of what I'm looking for. I want to format some ebooks so people can read them on their Kindles. I looked at Calibre and didn't see AZW as an output format but I did see .PRC. So if I format them as .PRC they can read them on their Kindle devices? How about MOBI - that format too can be read on Kindle?
CyberCrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCrone View Post
I want to format some ebooks so people can read them on their Kindles.
Use Calibre's MOBI output option, note that there is also an output-profile option which should probably be set to kindle.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
CyberCrone
CyberCrone began at the beginning.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Use Calibre's MOBI output option, note that there is also an output-profile option which should probably be set to kindle.
Thanks! Ignorance is NOT bliss - I couldn't understand why I couldn't find anything anywhere about converting files to AZW.
CyberCrone is offline   Reply With Quote