Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Multiple databases using the same book files

Hi there,

We are becoming a multi-ereader household, and I'm trying to figure out how my husband and I can use a single folder of ebooks, but both have our own Calibre databases. All the ebooks are currently on a shared network drive (NAS).

I have my database set up with all my books, many of which he is going to want to have in his database. I have set up a database for him as well, but I want to avoid having two copies of the books, if possible, so would really love to have the .db file live in one location, and the books in another. Any way we can do this?

Thanks,
January
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryF View Post
I have my database set up with all my books, many of which he is going to want to have in his database. I have set up a database for him as well, but I want to avoid having two copies of the books, if possible, so would really love to have the .db file live in one location, and the books in another. Any way we can do this?
In your database, select all books, edit metadata in bulk, add your name "JanuaryF" as a tag. Add all his books to your database. In the search bar , type "not tag:JanuaryF". That will show all his books. Add his name as a tag to those. Put your tag on any of his books you may want to read and vice-a-versa. Now you can both use the library.
Typing "tag:JanuaryF and Science" will show all your science related books. Then just save them or Send to device to read them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
In calibre although it is possible to have the metadata.db file physically located outside the library, but it is tightly tied to the exact names that the ebooks are stored internally (including their internal database ID's).

As was mentioned earlier iyou therefore either need to have two physical databases or have one and use tags on the books to allow entries too be logically separated.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
But... why have 2 databases? It just causes more management headaches, especially if you want to share books. Keep one database and use tags to manage which books each of you want. That way you can easily share books by both having your tags on the same books. For example, you want him to read the book you just finished. You can just add his tag to the book and when he searches on his tags, he'll see it. That's what the tags are for.

Multiple databases just add clutter and extra management. Also, I don't think you can have a single db file with multiple locations simultaneously.

Tags are really the best way to go.

My $0.02
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Thanks for the tag suggestion - I'll give that a try. Is it possible to set Calibre to open and automatically restrict the tag views?
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I don't think so. Unfortunately, it appears to be a manual process at the moment and state isn't saved across restarts (I just tested it).

There is another thread where someone is creating a saved search feature which you'll likely find useful. You and your husband can have separate saved searches which saves a bit of time and keystrokes when it's implemented.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote