Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
It seems pretty clear to me what ebook readers want. We want well-edited and proofed DRM free ebooks. If S&S can't even do that why are they mucking up books with embedded video.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Might be nice for added information like showing how to do something in a non-fiction book. Personally, I tend to stay away from video and audio in web sites in general, I can't control the speed of the presentation and it's basically a really tough sell with me, I don't do well with auditory presentations at all, but I get the impression that a lot of people like it. All in all, this do seem like old wine in new bottles though. Wonder if they can shift it...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
It seems pretty clear to me what ebook readers want. We want well-edited and proofed DRM free ebooks. If S&S can't even do that why are they mucking up books with embedded video.
+1

Marketing gimmick to broaden their audience.

Personally, I like that the written book is the pure, original material. I don't want video invading that too. At least with a movie, I can choose not to watch it.

This is not for us. (well, except the real gadget hounds among us) This is for people who are too lazy to read. To me, reading text is MUCH more demanding than watching TV. I feel sleepy after a while because I'm getting tired, not because I'm bored or because my brain isn't challenged enough.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
+1

Marketing gimmick to broaden their audience.

Personally, I like that the written book is the pure, original material. I don't want video invading that too. At least with a movie, I can choose not to watch it.

This is not for us. (well, except the real gadget hounds among us) This is for people who are too lazy to read. To me, reading text is MUCH more demanding than watching TV. I feel sleepy after a while because I'm getting tired, not because I'm bored or because my brain isn't challenged enough.
First of all please do not claim to speak for all the members of MobileRead. You do not speak for me. Have you tried out the application? I doubt it because if you did you would have realized it is not just for people to lazy to read. I bought "Embassy" a fictional "Vook". First of all it is a real book, real words and everything. There is just short videos (that are quite well done) added to enhance the plot.

Here is an example:

Sure its a gimmick but I find it kind of interesting. I know it is not the hip thing to admit to but I am currently reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. I think that it would be interesting to see short videos of the art and locations mentioned in the book. I bought the web version because I do not like reading on my iPhone but I think something like this would work quite nice on the mysterious Apple Tablet. Since I just started reading the "Vook" it is too soon for me to say that I would by another one. But I am not considering it $6.99 down the drain.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
First of all please do not claim to speak for all the members of MobileRead. You do not speak for me. Have you tried out the application? I doubt it because if you did you would have realized it is not just for people to lazy to read. I bought "Embassy" a fictional "Vook". First of all it is a real book, real words and everything. There is just short videos (that are quite well done) added to enhance the plot.

Here is an example:

Sure its a gimmick but I find it kind of interesting. I know it is not the hip thing to admit to but I am currently reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. I think that it would be interesting to see short videos of the art and locations mentioned in the book. I bought the web version because I do not like reading on my iPhone but I think something like this would work quite nice on the mysterious Apple Tablet. Since I just started reading the "Vook" it is too soon for me to say that I would by another one. But I am not considering it $6.99 down the drain.
I am with you. I downloaded it and have spent about 10 minutes with it. It is an interesting vehicle and holds promise as an entertaining method of story telling.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #21
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
There is nothing new under the sun:

for fiction there is "26" with the inclusion of weblinks for video interludes.
For non-fiction that would be Douglas Adams "Last Chance To See" for Windows 3.11 with the text, audiobook and pictures of the animals (I can't remeber if videos where in that...)

Ciao
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #22
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Might be nice for added information like showing how to do something in a non-fiction book. Personally, I tend to stay away from video and audio in web sites in general, I can't control the speed of the presentation and it's basically a really tough sell with me, I don't do well with auditory presentations at all, but I get the impression that a lot of people like it. All in all, this do seem like old wine in new bottles though. Wonder if they can shift it...
I'm with Ea, if a link I'm interested in leads to video rather than text I'll just close it and go elsewhere. Audio on websites got me to switch to headphones I don't wear. If I want information, video or audio is the last way I want to receive it.

I can see the value in illustrated examples in non-fiction books - but it doesn't work for fiction. Normally I just want to tear my hair out if I have to sit through five minutes of video to get maybe thirty seconds (if I'm very lucky) worth of information.

There's also the fact, and this is very important with SF and Fantasy (which I primarily read) that video cannot match the human imagination. Non-fiction doesn't have this problem, since it deals with reality rather than imagination.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I've been wanting a new file format that would let me read an ebook, then switch mid-sentence to an audio book version, then switch back.

Unfortunately, all these guys do is write web pages. A "vook" is also called a page of HTML.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
First of all please do not claim to speak for all the members of MobileRead. You do not speak for me. Have you tried out the application? I doubt it because if you did you would have realized it is not just for people to lazy to read.
--
I am not considering it $6.99 down the drain.
.. +1 ..
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
It's $6.99 down the drain. A book is meant to be READ, not used to force-feed 'movin' pitchers' down the optic nerves of the idjit masses. 'Movin' pitchers' don't require NEAR the imagination that a good book does.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #26
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Could be popular for vorno...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #27
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
A book is meant to be READ
I see text in the images above. How did you miss that?

Must be using a TEXT ONLY browser...

Quote:
not used to force-feed 'movin' pitchers' down the optic nerves

Says here that You can just read, just watch, or read and watch simultaneously. http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/10/01/...-how-you-read/

So...just what are they forcing down your optic nerves again?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

Says here that You can just read, just watch, or read and watch simultaneously. http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/10/01/...-how-you-read/

Yes, they are!

And why in sam hell would I want to load up a NOVEL with a bunch of video and music junk that reins in my imagination and forces it to match the (dim)wit of the video producers? (Starship Troopers the book vs. Starship Troopers the movie is a perfect example of this.)

Derek
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #29
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

P.S. Yes, I *see* the text *AND* the highly-distracting images. GAWD! There's a place for graphic novels, and even pitchers in novels, but to slurp up precious memory simply so that those with limited imagination can flip to extended clips of some director's butchery of the novel... Well, I guess I pity the idjits who need that.

Derek
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #30
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
P.S. Yes, I *see* the text *AND* the highly-distracting images. GAWD! There's a place for graphic novels, and even pitchers in novels, but to slurp up precious memory simply so that those with limited imagination can flip to extended clips of some director's butchery of the novel... Well, I guess I pity the idjits who need that.

Derek
...and you missed where it said you could turn the images off.