Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Questions from a potential UK buyer

Hey all,

Stumbled upon this site a few days back in my ongoing research into ebook readers. I say I'm a potential buyer but I think I'm as good as sold on the PRS-505 from Play for £149.99.

I just had a couple questions I haven't been able to find the answers for and hope you can help

First; I've read a lot about Sony Credit when registering/activating your device. Around $50 I believe. I was wondering if we in the UK get anything similiar? I've already installed Calibre and began sorting my collection of txt's and lit's so am wondering if its even worth bothering installing the Sony software.

Secondly; I already have a Class 6 8GB SDHC card and was wondering if there is any benefit to putting the books onto the memory stick and conserving the capacity of the Reader itself until last. Could it be potentially slower/faster access one way or the other?

Finally; this question relates a little more to calibre but I noticed whilst editing the metadata that there is a 'series' field which can store the books numeric value in that series. Was wondering if I still need to have the number in the title or will the reader sort it based on the series numeric value? For example; I have 'story abc 01 - the first book' with the series number 1. Could I just call it 'the first book' in this case and the series is 'story abc' and the order is '01'. Hope that kinda makes sense.....

I know the last quesiton may be better asked in the Calibre forum but thought I'd give it a try here whilst I was asking the first two.

Thanks in advance to those who can help
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I didn't get any store credit, but I did get a CD of 100 classics. These are different to some of the other 100 free classics you find on some other sites, so a bit of brousing around will get you quite a few books. I bought mine through Waterstones, hence I also got clubcard points with it = a few free current books too.

I think - and I'm sure someone more knowledge will be along in a minute to confirm/refute - the SOny only recognises 2Gig of SD. I don't believe there's much benefit one way or the other, but iof you load a lot of titles at once, ie all 2gig's worth, the reader takes quite a while to process it before you can do anything else!

No idea about your calibre Q, I just create folders for them / or not bother.

Enjoy the reader!
'fox
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Killian
Enthusiast
Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.Killian is faster than slow light.

Thanks Sony_fox; as I understand it SD cards are available up to a max of 4GB (though I've never seen any above 2GB) but SDHC (SD High Capacity) cards can go all the way up to 32GB. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Sony's SDHC slot can support that maximum but maybe I'm misinformed.

Thanks for the answer regarding credit; sometimes it sucks not being American..... lol

Last edited by Killian; 07-27-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If you install the US Sony software, you can download the Sony freebies, but otherwise, the credit is for classics that are normally available here in better formatted versions. As for using the SD card - it's not worth going with to start with, as you should get a few hundred books on the Reader itself and they don't do all that well when you try & put /everything/ on a card at the same time, as the UI doesn't scale up all that well (it shows 10 books at time on index pages, so 200 book = 20 pages, etc..)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The only thing that Calibre can't and that the Sony software can, is to pre-paginate a book. With Calibre, it means that when you open a book for the first time, it will take the Reader a minute or two to process the book. If you change display size, it will need to process it again (but only one time for each size). For me it's not much of an issue, and as I prefer LRF format and convert everything to LRF, I just set the base font size to my preferred size.

Unless you want/need to carry around many hundreds of books, I'd suggest using the internal memory - or use cards for different smaller collections of books. More than a 100-200 books is a bit to wade through, even if it's sorted in different ways. At least that is what I have found works well for me
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Killian
Enthusiast

Interesting. May try out the Sony software first then and see what it's like.

Thanks for all your advice. Is much appreciated.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
libraryaddict
libraryaddict began at the beginning.

Device: Sony? convince me
I've had mine for a week and a half now (also from PLay.com), and I love it.

The most annoying thing about the Sony software is that you cannot edit any of the author information, and it insists on ordering authors by first name. Trivial, but it drove me mad very quickly.
libraryaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Killian
Enthusiast

Think I may just not bother installing the Sony Software then and stick with Calibre.

Now to start sorting some books ready for when I get it
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian;
Think I may just not bother installing the Sony Software then and stick with Calibre.

Now to start sorting some books ready for when I get it
I use both the US version of the Sony ebook library and calibre (don't have both active at the same time!)

Don't install the UK version of the Sony ebook library as it will leave entries which will prevent you installing the US version.

The US version of the Sony ebook library will allow you access to the Sony ebook store which has regular $0.00 freebies which can be worth having (don't register any address details with this or you will be blocked and you can't buy books there without a US cc & address or USA gift cards). You need to register your reader here - (will not affect buying ebooks from elsewhere)

Have a look at the bargain priced books section. You can also download the US software from the link at the top of that page.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Killian
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Will start downloading now. Can't get my hands on a US CC but how about the gift cards? Are they easily available in the UK? Presumably somewhere out there will sell and email codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
You need to register your reader here - (will not affect buying ebooks from elsewhere)
Where exactly should I be registering it sorry? Through the US Sony Software or elsewhere?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Will start downloading now. Can't get my hands on a US CC but how about the gift cards? Are they easily available in the UK? Presumably somewhere out there will sell and email codes?

There are people here who will help with gift cards -just post a message asking - but I think like others you will find plenty of good things to read to start with both here and elsewhere for little or no cost. Check the deals & freebies thread.

For instance if you found Red Dwarf amusing have a look at this thread Download Hal Spacejock, by Simon Haynes - Free! Who is a member here. The remainder of the series are available for download at very reasonable cost and are well worth it. Also have a look at Richard Herley also a member here.

Quote:
Where exactly should I be registering it sorry? Through the US Sony Software or elsewhere?
Open an account at the Sony ebook store by clicking on the store icon in the left panel of the US ebook library - give only your user name and a password. With your reader plugged into the USB lead log on to your account & register your reader there. If you look at the "settings"- "About" - "SONY" screen on the reader it will change to "Authorized for the ebook store" which allows you to read the Sony DRM books.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
If you're into sci-fi, Cory Doctorow and James L. Halperin have both made their books available for free online.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #13
Killian
Enthusiast

Just put my order in with Play.com. Got it for £142.49 as I get 5% off courtesy of my Varsity Card. Bargain considering its still in the £200s at most places

Just got to bide my time till it arrives now, eyes are aching from all the pc reading!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Happy waiting!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Killian
Enthusiast

Yup; called play up a few hours after ordering asking "Why haven't you processed my order yet!" lol. Talk about impatient!

Has now gone from 'processing' to 'packing' so hoping they'll be sending out via Courier tonight.... fingers crossed!