Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
gouzos
gouzos doesn't littergouzos doesn't litter

Device: Prs-505
SONY or is the iLiad worth it?

First of all, thanks for having me on the forum, it's a great source of info.

I am still not sure which device to buy.
I am between the Sony PRS-505 and the iRex iLiad.

The use I was considering is mainly for reading fiction. That is, free classics and the occasional ripped book in .pdf form (text-based and scanned). So connectivity is not a concern. I plan on doing that through my PC. Also, I really don't mind using a converter before I transfer the files.

I would really like the iLiad's big screen but the price is a bit steep. Since we're talking about greyscale I can't really use it for comics (cbr, cbz) which would necessitate a big screen.

I think I will go with the SONY and maybe in a couple of years devices with specs like the iLiad will be more affordable by then.

Do you think this is the right choice for me?
gouzos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to the forum!

If you're only reading the occasional pdf, but mostly non-pdfs, then the Sony probably is the right choice
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
gouzos

How about if it was the other way around? I actually have a lot of pdf's. I meant that few of them are scanned image-based as opposed to text-based.
Does that change matters?
The way I understand it, no reader copes that well with .pdf's anyway, right?

PS. One more question. Is the iLiad's screen inferior because of the touch screen like the PRS-700 reportedly is, or have they managed to keep the high contrast?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
If you're just wanting to read fiction, then better to go with the Sony. I used to have an iLiad, which was great when I was at university, since I could read academic articles in PDF format and annotate them with the stylus. But the short battery life (about 12-15 hours) and long boot time (about 45 seconds) is less than friendly for fiction reading, as you can't just pick it up and read for five minutes in a convenient way. Once my course was over and I didn't need to read & annotate PDFs, I traded it in for a Bebook -- being able to leave it switched on without worrying about the battery being dead when you come back to it is perfect for fiction reading.

In reply to Gouzos -- PDF is not perfect, but is actually pretty good compared to other machines. You can blow up the page as big as you like and scroll around it, and the 1024x768 screen resolution and 16 shades of grey makes graphics look very nice. And there's no problem with lack of contrast -- its not a touch screen you use with your fingers, but a Wacom screen that you write on with the inbuilt stylus, and the screen's as bright as any other e-ink screen.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
gouzos

I took the plunge and ordered the PRS-505.

I guess that if I get really into the eBook reader thing I could upgrade in a couple of years. By then bigger screens might be the norm.
I don't care about the annotation aspect so I would be paying double the price just to be able to read scanned image pdf's.

I hope I made the right choice and I'm sure I will be back soon asking for help.

Thanks everyone.
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
It sounds like you were in a similar dilemma to me
I ended up buying the Sony, and just did a writeup of the whole process. I doubt its that useful to you now, if youve already ordered though

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33139
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'm sure you'll both be pleased with the Sony
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote