Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
DataWhore
DataWhore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello from South Florida

Hello everyone, I just made the jump to a Kindle (hasn't arrived yet), and I'm looking to brush up on two main things: Converting PDFs to be readable on the Kindle, and finding good "sources" for ebooks out there (torrent sites perhaps (?), I don't quite know yet, but if you have any tips please PM me or post ).

I made the leap because the cost of buying brand new books would eventually overrun the $315 I paid for the Kindle.

Anyway, this looks like a great community you guys have here, and I look forward to learning and contributing as much as possible while here.
DataWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Welcome:
I too am new to the forum and to Kindle which I purchased a week ago. This site has been a great resource, both in providing free ebooks classics already converted and for Igorsky's conversion tools that have allowed me to use mobipocket ebooks from my elibrary on my Kindle.

I'll be anxious to hear how you like your Kindle.

Cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
You got a good deal if you bought your Kindle for $315! I bought one for $399 and the second for $359. I'm loving my Kindle. I justified the price (though I spent my mad money and didn't really have to justify it) by telling myself that each bestseller would be $9.99 from Amazon and I'd only have to buy 40-50 books before the Kindle was paid for in the savings off the hardback book price.

Though I've bought about 2 dozen books (only 10 from Amazon so far), I've also been reading eBooks that were provided free on such sites as MobileRead, Feedbooks, ManyBooks, Munseys, and Baen. If you like Science Fiction, be sure to check out Steve Jordan's books at http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/ Steve offers one of his books for free and then absolutely terrific prices on the rest.

It is my intention to dedicate my Kindle to recreational reading -- and not use it at all for academic or work-related books -- so I'm not going to mess around with trying to come up with some way to get PDFs to work on it. I wish you luck.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
DataWhore
DataWhore began at the beginning.

I like the quote in your sig Elsi And I do like Sci-Fi (my favorite actually), so I'll be sure to check it out.

Yes, it was $319 shipped.. brand new.

Have you guys tried reading publications like the New York times on it, I remember reading something about being able to get it on the Kindle for free?
DataWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello DataWhore
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi DataWhore and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and let us know how you like the Kindle once you get it

Last edited by MickeyC; 06-21-2008 at 03:37 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings DataWhore! Welcome to the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
turtlemom
Hatch
turtlemom began at the beginning.

Hi, I'm new to the Kindle world... and from South Florida too.

I paid the full $399 for my Kindle which was delivered early May just in time for me to take overseas on a trip. I quickly loaded it with some reading material from the Kindle store and really enjoyed having it along, starting at the airport while waiting for a late plane. Flying is not much fun these days, but my Kindle helped pass the time.

For those wondering, the Kindle will charge using any world current, automatically. No costly bulky converters needed, but you will need an inexpensive plug adaptor, suitable for the outlets for the areas you visit. Some hotels in Europe offer North American style outlets in the bathroom for electric shavers. You can charge in them without an adaptor.

. It was really a delight to not only have my Rick Steves travel guide on the Kindle, but also several other books I could read, depending on my mood.. and all without having to lug big heavy volumes along in my suitcase.

But imagine my dismay to get home and discover the Kindle price had dropped while I was gone and the deadline for requesting a rebate on the difference had just expired the day before.

I know, I know.. things go on sale all the time and woe to those who paid full price... buyers beware and all that garbage. But this did one thing for me, it encouraged me to find and load up my Kindle with free books and not feel any guilt for depriving Amazon of some additional profit off me. I'll be buying their new books soon enough.
turtlemom is offline   Reply With Quote