Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...Maybe the server is overloaded.
Yeah, I had that problem yesterday. My installs had no hiccups this morning.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, I had that problem yesterday. My installs had no hiccups this morning.
Hi SCION! Yeah, updates were acting up earlier, but I finally got all of them to install on my iPad mini Retina and iPhone 5. It took multiple tries for some of the apps.
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just updated my iPad and the first change I noticed was that my Hanx writer no longer works. No biggie yet, as the past few days have seen a wealth of app updates to iOS 8 compatibility, but I do miss it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thank you.

I couldn't wait. Just deleted all of my Microsoft Office related apps. Each one was 1/2 GB. Those alone freed up 6.3GB. Update is downloading now. Looking forward to using Swype keyboard. Soooooo tired of tapping individual letters.

I'm a novice to Swype, but it came pre-installed on a prepaid phone I just bought and I kind of like it. It's 99¢ in the Apple App store. I just bought it and it seems to work well. From your post, I was hoping it would come pre-installed on iOS 8 as well, but such isn't the case.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Important warning about iCloud drive: PSA: Do not upgrade to iCloud Drive during iOS 8 installation.

ETA: according to the comments on the article, there is a compatibility problem only if you use iCloud to sync documents with your Mac, or with other iOS devices that can't upgrade to iOS8. Syncing of contacts, calendars, notes are not affected by that. So it's a bit hard to say whether I am affected or not. It's a bit confusing.

Anyway, I'll wait a few days at least before upgrading, as usual.

Now I read this. Oh well. Don't use the wife's Mac that much anyway.
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Well I've had to reset as lots of stuff had been deleted including my entire kindle library. Lets hope the restore goes well.

For what it's worth, my Kindle library appears unaffected. I assume you're speaking of the library in the Kindle for iOS app.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
...Btw, I see Audible is advising people to not download their latest update.

(Easily confused me speaking Are you saying that Audible is telling folks not to install the latest Audible update?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #38
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
(Easily confused me speaking Are you saying that Audible is telling folks not to install the latest Audible update?
They updated it again. All is good.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Another good set of reasons to wait before installing iOS8--apps not yet updated for it. Last time updates to apps trickled in for weeks, if not months. It was a bit frustrating early on, but eventually it improved.

It does seem as if Apple is unusually ahead of many of the app developers with this release. Developers appear to be scrambling to catch up.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They updated it again. All is good.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

There are a couple of changes in Safari. The "favorites" are now on the left side, and the "x" for closing a window has been replaced by a two step process.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #42
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Important warning about iCloud drive: PSA: Do not upgrade to iCloud Drive during iOS 8 installation.
ETA: according to the comments on the article, there is a compatibility problem only if you use iCloud to sync documents with your Mac, or with other iOS devices that can't upgrade to iOS8. Syncing of contacts, calendars, notes are not affected by that. So it's a bit hard to say whether I am affected or not. It's a bit confusing.
Anyway, I'll wait a few days at least before upgrading, as usual.
Thank you for this tip!!! I was wondering about iCloud syncing between different versions since it's been an issue in the past. It's nice that there is an option not to update to iCloud Drive yet. I thought that sync might be broken for awhile until the Mac update is released.

I haven't updated my phone or iPads yet. Just watching to see what issues are reported. I appreciate the reports in this thread.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #43
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
There are a couple of changes in Safari. The "favorites" are now on the left side, and the "x" for closing a window has been replaced by a two step process.
How do you mean? As I look at Safari, the favourites are still accessible via the open book icon on the bottom of the screen. Closing a tab hasn't changed either, as far as I can tell. Pressing 'x' will remove it immediately, as will swiping it off the screen.

Last edited by holymadness; 09-19-2014 at 04:30 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #44
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
My favourite change so far:

- When you double-press the home button to launch multitasking, you can see your 8 most recent contacts on the top of the screen. Tap their portrait to either call, text, or facetime them.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #45
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
How do you mean? As I look at Safari, the favourites are still accessible via the open book icon on the bottom of the screen. Closing a tab hasn't changed either, as far as I can tell. Pressing 'x' will remove it immediately, as will swiping it off the screen.
It's different on iPads. On the iPad it's as WT Sharpe says.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote