Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Paperwhite 2013, Sony PRS-505(RIP)
Smile My Trip to Borders in Islington to see the iRex Iliad Book Edition

Fortified only by a latte and a Danish pastry from the lovely Tinderbox on Islington's Upper Street, I made my way into the local branch of Borders to check out the new iRex Iliad Book Edition.

It started promisingly - there was a display right by the entrance but wandering round the store, there was no device on display. I asked at the information desk and the guy went and got one for me to look at.

He booted it up and even as it was showing the intial splash screen I could see the screen was something special (this is the first time I've seen an e-Ink device in the flesh, so I guess most readers here already know how good the screen is). He fiddled about with it until we got to the book menu (I suspect the product has only just arrived so there's been no staff training yet) and I had a look.

Holding the unit in my hand, I was surprised how well it fitted - given the larger screen, I was expecting it to be slightly unwieldy. The screen was very crisp (reminded me of an old monochrome LCD with no backlighting) and I didn't find the flicker on changing pages to be particularly noticeable.

Price is £399 and while I said in another thread that was twice what I was prepared to pay for an eBook device, I have to admit that I was tempted. I have been holding out for the Sony PRS-505 to get an official UK launch, but now after the Iliad, its smaller screen might be a disappointment.

The guy on the information desk did tell me that the store manager hasn't yet decided if Borders 20% vouchers (which you get by registering online or in-store) will be allowable against a purchase of an Iliad.

There are a few snapshots here if you're interested:-

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=iRex...26939219%40N00
ec1matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Ah thanks for the quick reply!

Since it doesn't seem they're actually doing any kind of a "launch day" or anything like that, I guess I'll just leave it for one day when I'm already in the area...

Shame - I'd have thought they'd put in a bit more effort for the first day. Oh well.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It was a bit of a let-down that hadn't made any effort. I was hoping for a couple of machines on display and perhaps an iRex rep demoing them. I live pretty close to the store and pop in from time to time, so if there's anything new to report, I'll post an update.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
yeah - e-ink displays are a sight to behold especially if you've been reading on backlit, LCD devices. I spent two years reading on a Dell X50V and wouldn't go back to that type of screen......

Looks like a nice device but a bit big for my liking.

Go on, you know you want to buy one
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
ec1matt
Enthusiast

You're right, I do want to buy one, but £400 is too expensive. If they accepted a 20% off coupon I'd be sorely tempted, but failing that I'm waiting for an official UK launch of either the Sony PRS-505 or the Kindle. (I'd hope that if the Kindle came to Europe it would be a restyled Mark II unit that looked less like prop for Star Trek:TNG than the current model)
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
TNG? more like TOS.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Don't forget about online shops.
£400 including shipping.

£410 including shipping.

So far, Borders are ahead for buyers who live close to the shop because the prise is the same and you can actually touch the reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote