Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
dbdsmd
dbdsmd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2nd generation
Lost my Calibre books; any help for a tech dunce?

Howdy all.
I have a new OS....but maintained all data.
However, I am so darned ignorant I don't know where my wonderful 1,000 books are and thus don't know how to import them when restoring all to Calibre now.
I would GREATLY appreciate any help and I apologize in advance for being quite ignorant about how to make all of this work.
Best to all.
dbdsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Have you tried searching for a book and going backwards from there?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
dbdsmd

Thanks - I will try and see if it succeeds! I will respond soon.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Or use the OS and search for the file metadata.db. It will tell you where the whole calibre library is.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Once you find the library (easiest way would be to search for metadata.db) open calibre for the first time and it will give you the welcome wizard, where you can choose to start with a previously existing library. See screenshot #1.

If you have already started calibre before, you can rerun the welcome wizard by using the dropdown under Preferences (screenshot #2).

Or you can manage libraries by clicking on the Library icon (screenshot #3) and selecting "switch/create library" then choosing the first option in the popup (screenshot #4) "Use the previously existing library at the new location".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-welcome-wizard.png
Views:	123
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	116790   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-rerun-welcome-wizard.png
Views:	144
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	116791   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-manage-libraries.png
Views:	123
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	116792   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-switch-library.png
Views:	115
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	116793  
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
dbdsmd

Oh gosh, Thank you all so very much. I searched for and found the metadata.db. With a new Calibre wizard I retrieved the books.
I appreciate so very much y'all taking your valuable time to help!!!
Be safe and happy.
Best to all - dale