Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Why Amazon Should Update the Kindle Dx

So... here goes.

Originally, the K2 did NOT have native PDF support.

If you dropped a PDF onto the device, it did not work- your only options were to send the file to amazon for conversion, use Calibre or some other type of conversion software like Mobipocket Ebook Creator to make the file into one compatible with the Kindle.

When the DX debuted, it boasted NATIVE PDF support, which really only meant being able to view the document, but that was ok because many PDF's formatting and page numbers are important and not meant for conversion. Amazon ACTED like they understood this and released the KDX.

After a while, the k2 and all other later models got the ability to view pdf's. And then for some INANE reason, the K3 got the ability to use the dictionary, add notes and highlights and change the background contrast.

But the DX had PDF viewing FIRST and again because of it's screen size, was marketed as best for viewing PDF's so why shouldn't it's software be as good or better at HANDLING them as the k3?

I believe the Kindle DXG is the largest E-INK reader on the market right now, and has been for some time.

The Kno tablet(s) is/are a colossus, shiny, not-e-ink demon(s) and the Entourage Edge doesn't count because it's that weird plastic-clamshell combination of tablet and last generation's Vizplex e-ink. Sony's 7-inch reader stands out only because it's just a bit bigger than the standard six inch reader but not big enough to do much with the added screen real-estate. Plastic Logic's Que and Irex's thing have all but vanished into ether, and so by sheer persistance of existence, Amazon's DX is the last, large e-reader standing.

That, I would think using my AMAZING powers of reason, is a coveted position to be in. There is a demand for large screen E-INK readers, due to the clearness of the text, the long battery-life and the ability to view and carry around lots of PDF's because not everything is meant to be converted etc, and Amazon has the only one. And if there WAS no demand for a large screen e-reader, why did Amazon give the DX Graphite evening-wear and update the screen?

DESPITE all this information and placed in an unique position in the ever burgeoning ebook-ereader market, WHY is Amazon pretending the DXG is the illegitimate offspring of a misguided and loveless affair?

I don't believe the DXG's situation can be compared to the k1 or other previous models- the DXG was updated most recently with the Pearl e-ink screen, like I said before, just before the announcement of the K3. If Amazon wasn't making enough sales, why update the thing at all?

Hell, I'll admit the the DX isn't perfect for PDF's- it's screen size isn't the best for PDF's, being a little smaller than a sheet of paper, but if it was made any bigger it would be a good deal heavier, a lot more expensive, I imagine and any larger and they might have to rename it the Kindle Kno, so in the face of those cons, I can deal. But as a large-screened E-reader it is the best one out there; it's so close to perfect for my needs- and I suspect the needs of many others wishing to carry around PDF documents- but then Amazon wont give it the time of day.

Saadness.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Mods: Is there a way to make and sticky one DX thread for complaining, petitioning, and whining?

I have a DXG and I am getting sick of the many threads saying the same thing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd say it's due to DXG owners apparent inability to form a cohesive effort to achieve what they want. Case in point: the two identical threads on this subject on the same page of this forum.

Unite! You'll stand a much better chance.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Mods: Let's take it a step further - I think you should have one thread for all whining, crying and other such nonsense. Only happy thoughts in other threads. And while you are at it, punish anybody that asks a question that has been asked before. How dare they? Who do they think they are?
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Mods: Let's take it a step further - I think you should have one thread for all whining, crying and other such nonsense. Only happy thoughts in other threads. And while you are at it, punish anybody that asks a question that has been asked before. How dare they? Who do they think they are?
Would heavy sarcasm have a place in this new proposed system?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Mods: Please delete this thread as people have a problem with a concise summarization of the history of the Kindle DX in direct relation to the current upset.

Jesus Christ.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We do not delete threads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
So... here goes.

Originally, the K2 did NOT have native PDF support.

If you dropped a PDF onto the device, it did not work- your only options were to send the file to amazon for conversion, use Calibre or some other type of conversion software like Mobipocket Ebook Creator to make the file into one compatible with the Kindle.

When the DX debuted, it boasted NATIVE PDF support, which really only meant being able to view the document, but that was ok because many PDF's formatting and page numbers are important and not meant for conversion. Amazon ACTED like they understood this and released the KDX.

After a while, the k2 and all other later models got the ability to view pdf's. And then for some INANE reason, the K3 got the ability to use the dictionary, add notes and highlights and change the background contrast.

But the DX had PDF viewing FIRST and again because of it's screen size, was marketed as best for viewing PDF's so why shouldn't it's software be as good or better at HANDLING them as the k3?

I believe the Kindle DXG is the largest E-INK reader on the market right now, and has been for some time.

The Kno tablet(s) is/are a colossus, shiny, not-e-ink demon(s) and the Entourage Edge doesn't count because it's that weird plastic-clamshell combination of tablet and last generation's Vizplex e-ink. Sony's 7-inch reader stands out only because it's just a bit bigger than the standard six inch reader but not big enough to do much with the added screen real-estate. Plastic Logic's Que and Irex's thing have all but vanished into ether, and so by sheer persistance of existence, Amazon's DX is the last, large e-reader standing.

That, I would think using my AMAZING powers of reason, is a coveted position to be in. There is a demand for large screen E-INK readers, due to the clearness of the text, the long battery-life and the ability to view and carry around lots of PDF's because not everything is meant to be converted etc, and Amazon has the only one. And if there WAS no demand for a large screen e-reader, why did Amazon give the DX Graphite evening-wear and update the screen?

DESPITE all this information and placed in an unique position in the ever burgeoning ebook-ereader market, WHY is Amazon pretending the DXG is the illegitimate offspring of a misguided and loveless affair?

I don't believe the DXG's situation can be compared to the k1 or other previous models- the DXG was updated most recently with the Pearl e-ink screen, like I said before, just before the announcement of the K3. If Amazon wasn't making enough sales, why update the thing at all?

Hell, I'll admit the the DX isn't perfect for PDF's- it's screen size isn't the best for PDF's, being a little smaller than a sheet of paper, but if it was made any bigger it would be a good deal heavier, a lot more expensive, I imagine and any larger and they might have to rename it the Kindle Kno, so in the face of those cons, I can deal. But as a large-screened E-reader it is the best one out there; it's so close to perfect for my needs- and I suspect the needs of many others wishing to carry around PDF documents- but then Amazon wont give it the time of day.

Saadness.
You should send exactly what you have written to Amazon. You make very good sense from an economic viewpoint. I'd be surprised if Amazon were not working on updates for the KDX. Obviously, though, they are of lower priority than those for the most popular device, the K3. So they will come later? Maybe?
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We do not delete threads.

rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Old Tired Eyes
Old Tired Eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX?
Kindle Dx is under suspicion?

I am so glad to see this thread. I saw on Amazon today the discounted Kindle DX 3G for $259.00. Of course my eyes are not what they once were and tire more easily. So, I was about to place an order for my first portable e-reader. And I still might. I do not know much about these devices other than reading all the reviews. The Kindle DX still garners some positive remarks especially for the size of the screen and also the size of the print for mags and periodicals. PDFs matter too. So, I will probably buy one and hope that Amazon is not planning to produce another large screen reader that renders the Kindle DX to the dust bin. If Amazon is walking away from the large screen reader than this reader should be usable for several more years. But it looks like Amazon is about to orphan the DX. Sad if this is true.
Old Tired Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I still think that there is a possibility that Amazon will come out with a DXG Touch wifi/3G in the very near future. Maybe even a Coloured e-ink version within the next 12-18 months, lol!

In the meantime I'll just continue to enjoy my +14 month old DXG. Even without the K3 updates, It's still the best e-reader I've ever owned, and probably all I really ever need for my current purposes.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
That is the big question here --- sell-off to get rid of stock before introducing a new model or just clearing out an (in their estimation, due to relatively slow sales) obsolete product? There are people out there who want big-screen e-readers, the question is, are there enough people to entice Amazon to keep the DX line going?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
The question is... why someone would buy a DXG when you can buy a 10 inch tablet instead, which is faster with PDFs.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The question is... why someone would buy a DXG when you can buy a 10 inch tablet instead, which is faster with PDFs.
e-ink, no backlight.
Quality 10" tablet for $259?
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It's the 'easier-on-your-eyes' E-ink of course.

In addition, the DXG is an excellent regular ebook reader. you get ~3-4 times more words per page so lots less page turning.

Once you try one of these little (or not so little) beauties it's pretty hard to go back to a 6 inch screen imho.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote