Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
if i convert a pbook to an ebook my self.

am i breaking any US copy right law ?
like photographing each page and making a pdf and reading it on the reader ?
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsoul View Post
am i breaking any US copy right law ?
like photographing each page and making a pdf and reading it on the reader ?
I am not a lawyer, so this is *VERY* rough guesstimate.

No - if you're doing so because *YOU* want to read it electronically. Yes - if you plan to make money by selling it to others. Maybe - if you plan to give it to friends.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Very YES if you plan on posting it somewhere on the net.

As a side note: if you take a photograph of a printed page and display it on the Reader it will most likely be unreadable since the Reader has a 6" screen and it will scale the PDF page to that size.

The public domain pbooks that I have converted for the Reader were all OCRed so that I was able to load the text rather than an image of a page. The resulting LRF file was many times the number of pages of the original even at the "S" font size.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Very YES if you plan on posting it somewhere on the net.

As a side note: if you take a photograph of a printed page and display it on the Reader it will most likely be unreadable since the Reader has a 6" screen and it will scale the PDF page to that size.

The public domain pbooks that I have converted for the Reader were all OCRed so that I was able to load the text rather than an image of a page. The resulting LRF file was many times the number of pages of the original even at the "S" font size.
No i don't intend to share it. i just plan to put on the reader and use it myself. not share it with others.

i've converted like 5 textbooks already so i know its doable and readable. problem is i don't have time enough to do a better scan and OCR it and textbooks aren't avaiable as public domain or in the sony store.

if you want i can post a guide sometime.
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote