Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
lajestic
lajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Best e-reader for linux user in Canada

I have been researching ebook readers for a bit. Does a Kobo Wifi meet these requirements? Any other device that would be better?
  • Cost under $100 (or close)
  • Compatible with PDF files
  • Connect to a computer running linux (preferably without WINE, synced reading would be great, but I could live without)
  • available and supported in Canada
  • bonus: possible to root the device for hacking fun

Thanks for any advice!
lajestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajestic View Post
I have been researching ebook readers for a bit. Does a Kobo Wifi meet these requirements? Any other device that would be better?
  • Cost under $100 (or close)
  • Compatible with PDF files
  • Connect to a computer running linux (preferably without WINE, synced reading would be great, but I could live without)
  • available and supported in Canada
  • bonus: possible to root the device for hacking fun

Thanks for any advice!
I think you need to define "compatible with PDF files". Yes you can read pdf's on it, but (like pretty much any other 6" e-ink reader) it's really not a friendly experience. The Kobo forum on here has a thread on Linux that can probably answer your compatiblilty question that way.
I have both a Wifi and a Kobo Touch. I would recommend splurging for the Touch if you can just for a faster machine with more options. The pdf experience is far from perfect on the KT, but it's a lot easier/faster to scroll around on it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
lajestic
lajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enoughlajestic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I think you need to define "compatible with PDF files". Yes you can read pdf's on it, but (like pretty much any other 6" e-ink reader) it's really not a friendly experience. The Kobo forum on here has a thread on Linux that can probably answer your compatiblilty question that way.
I have both a Wifi and a Kobo Touch. I would recommend splurging for the Touch if you can just for a faster machine with more options. The pdf experience is far from perfect on the KT, but it's a lot easier/faster to scroll around on it.
Yeah, in this case, I define compatible with PDF this way. I want something that will display PDFs significantly better than my old Palm Treo with a 2.5" screen. That sets the standard fairly low I think. I actually read a significant part of The Linux Command Line on my Palm a while back.

Thanks for the opinion. I am leaning favorably towards getting a Kobo Touch at this point in time. Linux compatibility seems ok and PDF support is there in a pinch in case I need it.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know if the Kobo supports book buying on the device itself, but, if not, there's one thing to be wary of. In order to buy an ePub book you have to transfer it via a program on your PC called Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). ADE is available for Windows and the Mac only; it's not available for Linux, and the latest version of ADE won't run under WINE.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Kobo Touch fits your budget but is cheap and nasty IMO.

Maybe a Kindle Keyboard / K3. I wouldn't touch the new Kindle models. Also cheap and nasty.

Personally I'd get a T1. Sony, Android and hackable. The only caveat is it's still a bit buggy.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
This is what you want https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157879
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
One of the OP's criteria was "available and supported in Canada".
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Oops, my bad. I'm from Canada and enjoy Linux devices as well. I ended up getting the Nook STR so I was too quick in responding to the OP.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Oops, my bad. I'm from Canada and enjoy Linux devices as well. I ended up getting the Nook STR so I was too quick in responding to the OP.
Did you end up getting one at the Black Friday price? I was toying with the idea as something to play with but couldn't figure out how to get it shipped here without incurring extra costs.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
quicksilver
dude

No, I was a day too late. I bought a refurbished one on ebay. It was about $80 something dollars and $10 something for shipping.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
lajestic

Thanks for all the feedback. in the end I decided to wait and see what another year brings. Sounds like too many potential pain points with DRM, Canadian availability, requiring Windows, etc.

My netbook will have to serve for ebook reading for a while longer I guess.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I too am a (Debian) Linux user. I find the e-Reader market to be quite Linux unfriendly. I have a Kobo Touch and the "setup" part of it (where you enter your kobo account details) requires that you use the Kobo desktop which requires you have Mac or Windows.

I wish I could find an ereader that didn't require a huge song and dance to set up.

For my audio needs (podcast etc) I simply was able to plug it in (A Sansa Clip) , stick my own mp3 files on and it worked, didn't need to do anything else. JUST out of the box. I took it home, plugged it in, and in seconds I was listening to my own music files and some CBC podcasts. Why can't an e-reader work like that (for ebooks)? I was planning to get a Sony reader but it appears that it, too, requires windows software to just start using it. The "setup" part.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
I just got a Sony PRS-T1 (also a Debian user).

Apart from getting it registered with Adobe (*) it works perfectly with Linux in combination with Calibre for DRM-free ebooks.
I have not yet rooted it but I'm tempted in order to get the new Homescreen.

Cheers,
- Micha.

(*) This may be a non-issue in countries which already support the Sony ebook store, which is not the case in the UK at present.

See this thread for my efforts: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159899
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
This is encouraging to see. My birthday is in May, I am planning to upgrade to a different e-reader and I find myself leaning towards The Sony PRS-T1. My husband and I are kind of leaning that way.

I've had to factory reset my Kobo a number of times, due to buggy issues. Last night was one of those times. My husband took it to work so he could "register" it over there for me, as we don't have a windows system at home. I have a good several months to do my research, but I am hoping that my next e-reader is as close to "out of the box" as I can get, for good personal use and being able to put my own non-DRM epubs on there.

I'd love for an e-ink e-reader to work in principle, the way my Sansa Clip does, simply plays whatever files I stick on there, period. Yes, i know they are entirely different devices, but I can dream
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi spindlegirl,

You don't need Calibre to use it although I would highly recommend it.

Under Debian (using the Gnome desktop), when I plug the T1 in it gets automatically mounted. It's quite possible to just drag-and-drop compatible eBooks from the computer into the T1's ebook folder.

Cheers,
- Micha.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote