Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #46
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post
Nah, they just try to sit on the reader if they can

Ahhh, there, right there, a reason to buy a 2nd reader! Also:

- When a cat sits on your reader just grab your 2nd (or 3rd!) reader and continue. With pbooks you have to buy more than 1 copy for this to work, with ebooks you can read the same legal ebook on more (4 usually ) devices!
Or......You can pick up the reader while the cat is sitting on it and swing it like a baseball bat.

Sony Reader: Cat Launcher

Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #47
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Or......You can pick up the reader while the cat is sitting on it and swing it like a baseball bat.

Sony Reader: Cat Launcher

Hehe, nah, would you be able to launch a sweet cat like this?

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hehe, nah, would you be able to launch a sweet cat like this?

Aenea
Considering I've had some bad experiences with cats, I can in all honesty say yes. But would I? Not really. But I could if I had to.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #49
Ravenflight
Connoisseur
Ravenflight began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Macbook, iPhone
Paper books suck because it doesn't teach kids valuable skills like how to log into Pirate Bay and bittorent to read books for free. Instead they have to use eighteenth century repositories of pirate books otherwise known as libraries. If you want to read a book for free at one of these pirate centers you have to sign up to be a member pirate and the goverment can track every free book you read!
Ravenflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #50
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If you have to suddenly flee due to political unrest, you're likely to have to abandon a paper library (presumably full of banned books), whereas you could take your ebook library with you.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #51
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Paper books suck because it's a lot harder to hide the fact that you're reading the banned material that led to the political unrest you're fleeing.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #52
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Because when the binding breaks (as it always does on those cheap pulp paperbacks) and the pages go everywhere you are either outside where the wind will scatter your book all over the place or you are inside where the pages will fall on the floor and cause people to slip just like like they stepped on bananna peels.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #53
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Paper books suck because it's a lot harder to hide the fact that you're reading the banned material that led to the political unrest you're fleeing.
Or that you're reading "kids" books... oh, wait, there are very few ebooks released in this category. (Even on the darknet.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #54
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
If you have to suddenly flee due to political unrest, you're likely to have to abandon a paper library (presumably full of banned books), whereas you could take your ebook library with you.
Provided you can bring your repository ie. computer. A reader will not be useful for a long time without one.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #55
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Nah, they just try to sit on the reader if they can

Ahhh, there, right there, a reason to buy a 2nd reader! Also:

- When a cat sits on your reader just grab your 2nd (or 3rd!) reader and continue. With pbooks you have to buy more than 1 copy for this to work, with ebooks you can read the same legal ebook on more (4 usually ) devices!
Dunno. My cat likes to scrape it's cheeks on chin on my Reader exactly as he does with my pbooks. Claw it, no. But he doesn't claw my pbooks either.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #56
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
My cat used to try chewing the prs to get attention but only when I had the reader in my hands. Once brushed aside (gently) he resumed chewing on the wooden box instead.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #57
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't flip the pages of a paper book while it's in a ziplok bag while I am in the tub... No such problem with my Palm TX. (I actually triple bag it to be sure no moisture gets in.)
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
I can't flip the pages of a paper book while it's in a ziplok bag while I am in the tub... No such problem with my Palm TX. (I actually triple bag it to be sure no moisture gets in.)
I don't envy you. Cannot imagine what quality of text you can see through 3 bags...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #59
Karl Olsberg
Karl Olsberg began at the beginning.

Device: None
Adam B, in one point I must disagree: Paperbooks are made from wood, so they actually SAVE trees. Sounds counter-intuitive? It's true. If we would use less paper, forest owners wouldn't be able to sell as much trees, so they would do different things with their land. In fact, at least in Europe, 100% of the paper is made from woods that are replanted, so the paper industry is probably the only reason why there are any woods left at all. Sorry on that one!

In exchange, I offer another paperbooks-suck-reason: With an ordinary book, everyone can see what you're reading, because the cover is visible! With an e-book, you can wear a business suit and look like you're contemplating your companie's latest annual report, while you're actually reading ... oh, whatever you'd rather read instead ...
Karl Olsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #60
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Paper books suck because everybody can see the cover of the book you're reading on the train and see that you're reading Charmed novels. (gasp) An ebook reader just looks cool even if you're reading pulp.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote