Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #406
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In most cases, the page number for an eBook on Goodreads is actually wrong. That's why whenever I add an eBook to my library, I have to request it be fixed.
I'm curious where you're getting page numbers for ebooks. Since it depends of font, font size, line spacing, border widths, etc it would seem to impossible to get a valid/reliable page number. Even if you're using a pbook as the reference, it would depend on which pbook you're using.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #407
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm curious where you're getting page numbers for ebooks. Since it depends of font, font size, line spacing, border widths, etc it would seem to impossible to get a valid/reliable page number. Even if you're using a pbook as the reference, it would depend on which pbook you're using.
You have that 100% incorrect. Adobe Digital Editions uses a page number based on 1024 characters per page. So no matter the settings, the page number will always be the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #408
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
And how is Adobe Digital Editions the universally accepted standard for ebook page counting?
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #409
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
And how is Adobe Digital Editions the universally accepted standard for ebook page counting?
Because on Goodreads, Kindle eBooks have a separate entry. Thus, the eBook entry would be for ePub and given that ADE is the standard program for reading ePub and the page number doesn't change based on settings, there's no real reason not to use it's page number as the page number.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #410
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
ADE is not the standard program for reading ebooks just because it is the case for you, nevertheless I agree with you that having a set length of characters define a page would be a nice option.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #411
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
ADE is not the standard program for reading ebooks just because it is the case for you, nevertheless I agree with you that having a set length of characters define a page would be a nice option.
It IS one of the most common EPUB standards. (Overdrive) Library books use ADE (it is just recent that Kindle format became available for Library users).
And Adobe was a big contributor to the standards committee.
My device uses this, thus it is MY standard also.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #412
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also many eReaders base their offering on the mobile version of ADE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #413
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just don't understand the concern about page numbers in ebooks. In the end it's pretty meaningless.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #414
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, ADE is the standard. If your device/app supports Adobe's DRM with ePub, then it's using ADE. Most readers that support ePub use ADE.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #415
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just don't understand the concern about page numbers in ebooks. In the end it's pretty meaningless.
It's a marker to know how large the eBook is as well as a marker to show how far you are from being finished or even to the end of the chapter.

So would you be OK if we took away any sort of indication of how far along in the eBook you were?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #416
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So would you be OK if we took away any sort of indication of how far along in the eBook you were?
I've got a marker. It's called "Percentage". With an ebook, the only thing that matters (to me) is whether I'm 25%, 50% or 75% through. Page numbers are meaningless. But if you need page numbers, be my guest to worry about how correct they are. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #417
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I've got a marker. It's called "Percentage". With an ebook, the only thing that matters (to me) is whether I'm 25%, 50% or 75% through. Page numbers are meaningless. But if you need page numbers, be my guest to worry about how correct they are. Whatever floats your boat.
IMHO
Any page size of the same size is better than a simple percentage.
2 pages: 50% = 1 page
400 (not displayed) pages: how many pages to go at 50%

I will take ADE's 200 of 400 count any day over just a percent (of an unknown)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #418
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Percentage of an unknown? 50% of a book is 50% whether you count pages or just look at a percentage indicator. If you all want to worry about which algorithm gives you the most correct page number, have a ball.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #419
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have to agree with theducks; knowing I am 200 of 400 through a book is FAR more useful than seeing 50%. That could be 50% of 100 pages or 10000 pages.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #420
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But if you have NO indication. No location, no page number, no progress bar, no percent, NOTHING AT ALL to tell you how far along you are in your book. Would you be happy with that?

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin