Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your average spent for eBooks (no hardware) per year and mainly which format?
Spent per year: $ 0 (I don't purchase any eBooks) 4 6.25%
Spent per year: $ 0 to 100 13 20.31%
Spent per year: $ 100 to 200 13 20.31%
Spent per year: $ 200 to $ 300 10 15.63%
Spent per year: $ 300 to $ 500 9 14.06%
Spent per year: $ 500 to $ 1,000 10 15.63%
Spent per year: $ 1,000 to 2,000 4 6.25%
Spent per year: $ 2,000 to 3,000 0 0%
Spent per year:$ 3,000 to 5,000 0 0%
Spent per year: $ 5,000 to 10,000 1 1.56%
Spent per year: More than $ 10,000 1 1.56%
Main format for spent: .azw 9 14.06%
Main format for spent: .tpz 0 0%
Main format for spent: .epub 30 46.88%
Main format for spent: .pdf 1 1.56%
Main format for spent: .prc or .mobi 8 12.50%
Main format for spent: .lit 5 7.81%
Main format for spent: .pdb 4 6.25%
Main format for spent: .lrx or.lrf 4 6.25%
Main format for spent: Other 1 1.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Estimate of revenue in eBook market

http://www.tbiresearch.com/amazon-se...e-books-2010-1
states 90% market share for Amazon in the eBook market and estimates revenue of $ 115 million (US market only) through October 2009.
This revenue seems awfully small. I'd like to get a feeling about average spent per customer. (Of course, mobileread won't be a correct representation, as it covers the enthusiasts).

So, what's your spent per year on average for eBooks?
(Please try to estimate an average, let's not be misled by first year's enthusiasm.)

Please give a maximum of 2 eBook formats (and only, if both are about equal, else give the biggest one).

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-15-2010 at 01:38 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Good question for a poll, mgmueller

Although, I am wondering about the below vote

Quote:
Spent per year: $ 5,000 to 10,000
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'm embarassed to say how much I spend but.....almost all my elective money goes to eBooks, so the 1-2k catagory fits best. I tend to buy .pdb or .lit when I has drm. If it's drm free I go for ePub. My favorite is multiformat, then I put it on everything.

Last edited by Tattncat; 01-17-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sorry, but this is kind of a pointless exercise.

You can't determine anything from a voluntary poll with a few dozen respondents, especially when you're polling people who care enough about ebooks to actually spend time writing to each other about them.

If you don't like the figures, then I recommend you find some additional research that is based off of actual sales figures.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Good question for a poll, mgmueller

Although, I am wondering about the below vote
I'm embarrassed to say: That's mine.
From September 2008 to August 2009 I've bought about 800 eBooks. Cheapest are about $ 7, more expensive ones are $ 12 and more. So I guess, it's been about $ 8.000. For the moment I've reduced, but my average probably will remain about $ 6000.
Totally crazy, I know. As with my eBooks readers: I'm collecting.
But experience tells: I'll get bored and will move on...to collect something else...
In my childhood it has been paper books, I still have about 5000 in my cellar.
Later on it has been DVDs. I've got about 900 of them. Then it has been iTunes, about 1100 movies and 5000 TV episodes - all bought from Apple.
And it's always the same: Building the collection, configuring the hardware/system is way more fun (and time consuming) than actually using it.
For example, haven't seen a DVDs in years, hate the physical media nowadays and prefer the iTunes downloads.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Sorry, but this is kind of a pointless exercise.

You can't determine anything from a voluntary poll with a few dozen respondents, especially when you're polling people who care enough about ebooks to actually spend time writing to each other about them.

If you don't like the figures, then I recommend you find some additional research that is based off of actual sales figures.
I only partially agree. Users of mobileread of course never will be a valid representation, as it gathers the enthusiasts. But if even those enthusiasts only spend, let's say, $ 100 per year, it's a first indicator those low figures may be correct.
And it's not really important. But I'm surprised how small this business still seems to be. If so, we probably can't expect a quantum leap of technology - focus of the "big ones" simply won't be there.
And I'm surprised, how little most users seem to spend. When investing in an eBook reader, my personal guess would be an average of 1 to 3 books per week. So I'd assume at least 50 books per year and user/reader. That's usually at least $ 500. And this would be my lowest guess. So either people don't read very much or mainly download from the "darknet".

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
It's not just that MR is a poor representation. It's that it is a self-selected survey with numbers that are far too small to generate anything resembling meaningful information.

It's like going to a Green Day concert and asking 5 people if they plan to buy a T-shirt. You're not going to get a reliable figure on the total revenue of T-shirt sales as a result.

As to the business size, if you go to the source of the stats (http://www.publishers.org/main/Press...sinOctober.htm), you will see they claim that all US book revenues they track were $725 for October 2009. Out of that, $18 million was ebooks. That's around 2.5%, which may be a bit low but really is not that far out of line of other estimates. I haven't seen anyone claim ebooks have gone over 5% of total revenues yet, for example. There is still a lot more hype than reality when it comes to ebooks right now.

Looks like they publish aggregate annual figures in early March. That may have a bigger picture.

The AAP publishes a list of companies that report to them: http://www.publishers.org/main/Membership/member_02.htm Note that it doesn't include organizations like Amazon, which sells PD books.

Also keep in mind that ebooks tend to be less expensive than paper. So that's going to affect revenues.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I find this poll very interesting.... Because the past year or so the buzz has been that epub could become the standard, and sure enough (encluding me) most folks are getting epub.

Amazon is the 800 pound gorilla, but 90%, no way. I really hope that a standard will emerge within the next two years. I know the Amazon format will NOT be that standard, I do hope that somehow ePub could be it. Once we get a real standard (like the mp3 is in the music world) then DRM and other issues will come into line. And hardware will drop in price.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

That's all?

So far, I'm surprised, how little many of you spend.
The majority is in the range below $ 300 per year. That's (if I assume > $ 9,99 on average per book) about 1 book every 2 weeks.
I don't think, owners of eBook readers actually read that little. So I guess it's safe to assume, that most of the reading material comes from other sources. Probably I should have added the question "How many books per year do you read?". Maybe in another thread...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
So far, I'm surprised, how little many of you spend.
The majority is in the range below $ 300 per year. That's (if I assume > $ 9,99 on average per book) about 1 book every 2 weeks.
I don't think, owners of eBook readers actually read that little. So I guess it's safe to assume, that most of the reading material comes from other sources. Probably I should have added the question "How many books per year do you read?". Maybe in another thread...
My own have been very variable.
Right now i'm re-reading the wheel of time, and one book of these last me for almost a month.
My sister gifted me some p-book, so I went reading them
Then, i spent more time reading than re-reading since I have a reader.
And yes, some other source. Fanfiction.net, Freebies (I still need to donate some money to jeffrey).

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-17-2010 at 01:04 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
If I could I would change my vote. I somehow completely overlooked my textbooks. I was just thinking of what I directly spent. My textbooks are bought through the university, and the money comes out of my loan, so it is like I didn't buy it.

True, I only bought one last year, but I've already got two this year, and that is just for this semester, I'll have two more semesters where I will have e-textbooks, too. So Instead of the 0-100, I should probably be bumped up one notch in the poll. And I only started buying in October or so.

And I still buy in epub,but also pdf, as that is what my textbooks are in.

Last edited by mrscoach; 01-17-2010 at 03:52 PM.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Very interesting poll. $100-$200 epub buyer here.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
$300-500 by all estimates..

I have a feeling that will increase this year!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costs, ebooks, market share, revenue