Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sungale EB601

Sungale is a maker of small electronic devices like digital picture frames, IP radios, and the like. The EB601 is a departure from the rest of Sungale's products in that it is the first to use an epaper screen. There were a couple mock-ups and 1 functional unit on hand. The one functional unit had an incomplete and still buggy firmware, so I couldn't actually read anything on it. The projected release date is April with a retail of $169.

They're not planning to add DRM support, but it will have FBReader. I have one of the handouts in front of me, and the specs are as follows:
  • 6" screen
  • 600x800 resolution
  • 16 level gray scale
  • text to speech
  • ebook formats: HTML, PDF, Epub, TXT, Doc, PPT, Excel
  • picture formats: JPG, TIFF, BMP, PNG
  • Audio formats: MP3, WMA
  • Storage: SD (up to 16 GB)

I'll scan the hand out and post it when I get home. You can't tell from the pictures, but there are 2 speakers on the back in the lower corners. There are 4 buttons below the screen: font size, menu, return, and orientation. There are 11 buttons on the right of the screen, the 11th is labeled mark. I would assume that this is for bookmarks.

You may recall that I reviewed the Sungale Cyberus. I didn't think it was a very good ebook reader. The rep I spoke to was familiar with my review and agreed with me. I got the impression that they were more unhappy with the fact it had been labeled an ebook reader than the review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0170.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	691.5 KB
ID:	42782   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0173.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	42783   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0185.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	42784   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0186.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	42785   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0187.JPG
Views:	681
Size:	785.6 KB
ID:	42786  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
6" for $169? i just added them to MYCES Plan
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tell them I sent you.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They're not planning to add DRM support
So will it come pre-packaged with a discfull of DRM-removal tools and a list of darknet sites to get content from, or are they expecting that their target audience will already have these things?
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Suppose there was no darknet. I don't think that $169 is an unreasonable price for a 6 inch that only works for public domain books. But that's assuming that the device works well.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:45 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
So will it come pre-packaged with a discfull of DRM-removal tools and a list of darknet sites to get content from, or are they expecting that their target audience will already have these things?
The Jetbook has done quite well without support for a DRMed format, which would suggest that it's not as important as you think.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Actually there are quite a lot of DRM-free legal eBooks around. More then enough even to give you enough to read for a lifetime without having to buy one single "DRM-protected" book! Have a look at fictionwise (multi-format) or Baen the mighty!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Suppose there was no darknet. I don't think that $169 is an unreasonable price for a 6 inch that only works for public domain books. But that's assuming that the device works well.
I don't think it's reasonable to complain about the choice of e-readers in this day and age.
Honestly, like there's on devices that support DRM out there at all!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Jetbook has done quite well without support for a DRMed format, which would suggest that it's not as important as you think.
I agree that there is a lifetime's reading available in the public domain, but I was under the impression that the Jetbook now supported ADE?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
...or it suggests there are a lot of Jetbooks filled with darknet-sourced and/or disinfected-for-personal-use ebooks, which I suspect is rather more likely.

I'm not arguing that this is a bad thing, mind.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
...or it suggests there are a lot of Jetbooks filled with darknet-sourced and/or disinfected-for-personal-use ebooks, which I suspect is rather more likely.

I'm not arguing that this is a bad thing, mind.
Or Hanlin V3s running OpenInkpot. Same thing, although there are probably less of of those out there than there are Jetbooks. If you are comfortable desinfecting (like that word ) your bought ebooks and/or using the darknet, DRM support isn't much of an issue.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces10