Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #76
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks, Andural, for the response. I currently buy my tea from The Republic of Tea and have been very happy with the quality of the green tea I buy. They also have premium teas, several of which I have tried, but I always come back to the basic green tea. I end up buying monthly from the company.

I may give Upton a try on my next purchase.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #77
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Thanks, Andural, for the response. I currently buy my tea from The Republic of Tea and have been very happy with the quality of the green tea I buy. They also have premium teas, several of which I have tried, but I always come back to the basic green tea. I end up buying monthly from the company.

I may give Upton a try on my next purchase.
What green tea do you buy? How do you brew it?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #78
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Astra, see message #34 in this thread.

I buy both loose and bag versions of the Daily Green Tea. I have tried several of their premium green teas but I do not like the smoky or nutty flavor that some have.

I use a Russell Sage tea pot with diffuser and water kettle system. I'm thinking of buying the SmartKettle Model 688 which maintains water temperature although I rather like the UtiliTEA Kettle and really am interested in the Breville Variable-Temperature Kettle.

I have found that I like to brew the tea for exactly 2 minutes 30 seconds and I use a timer for that purpose.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #79
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Upton Tea is excellent! My son-in-law and I are tea fanatics -- we get together periodically to order from Upton and to try out new and interesting varieties. There are so many! They sell bulk tea in several packaging sizes and also sell "sampler" sets.

Upton also has a great catalog. In addition to the detailed descriptions of their extensive tea holdings, they publish a long-running series of historical articles called "Reversals of Fortune in the Tea Industry", currently up to episode 13. You can read the articles on their website if you don't take the catalog.

We are also big fans of Fortnum & Mason, which has some excellent teas, our standby favorite being Royal Blend.

About decaf: I drink Upton decaf in the afternoons (sigh, regular tea keeps me awake.) I have yet to find one I'm wild about, but they are okay if you don't make them too weak.

Yum, tea!

(PS I hate the word "infusion" for herbals -- sounds medical! Tisane is better.)

Last edited by lmarie; 09-02-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: To add the PS
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #80
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
you can get a good tea in the us.

my grocer used to have like diffrent 50 teas from stash tea. (now I just order from them online. http://www.stashtea.com/. that are based in Portland,Oregon)
but it must have only been me buying them becuse they stop having tea but
ice tea. also I think ice tea was started in the states if I recall right.
I'm late to this thread, but I just want to add that I love Stash for tisanes. I make my own mixes of medicinal herbs that I buy loose in an apothecary, but use their chamomile and mint because it's so much easier to carry around the sachet'd herbs, and they use good quality plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Matcha ... wonderful ......

Powdered Green Tea
I was all glad and happy to share my recipe for green tea ice cream, then I remembered you don't eat dairy products.
Anyhow, for those who might be interested: let soften one small tub of vanilla ice cream, mix in two table spoons (or more) of matcha, then pop back in the freezer for 24 hours. It's to die for.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #81
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I guess I'm an odd American. I never acquired the coffee habit. I do like tea, but mostly drink it in the cooler months. I generally buy Twinings or Bigelow brand (bags). I don't like Earl Grey, even if it is Captain Picard's favorite. I do like English Breakfast Tea, though. No milk for me, thanks. Just a little sugar or honey. And I like it strong.

Edit: Instead of a coffee maker, I have a tea maker. It actually makes a very good cup of tea (or several).

Last edited by jgray; 09-03-2009 at 01:10 AM.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #82
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
I was all glad and happy to share my recipe for green tea ice cream, then I remembered you don't eat dairy products.
Anyhow, for those who might be interested: let soften one small tub of vanilla ice cream, mix in two table spoons (or more) of matcha, then pop back in the freezer for 24 hours. It's to die for.
We used to have a Japanese restaurant in town that served green tea ice cream. It was very good.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #83
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post

let not that little issue bother you me lass, I make me own with soya milk and is equally as good as the (erm) 'real stuff'....I shall look forward to a home-made batch of green tea ice cream .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #84
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
let not that little issue bother you me lass, I make me own with soya milk and is equally as good as the (erm) 'real stuff'....I shall look forward to a home-made batch of green tea ice cream .....
Do you put soya milk in tea/coffee Geoff??
I tried it a couple of times but it 'curdles' on contact - looks horrible.

Wouldn't mind having a soya milk option for coffee, but I've never got it to work.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is one benefit of coffee - it tastes OK with "whitener" in it. Tea with artificial whitener in it is ghastly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #86
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
That was the shop I was looking for! Thanks a ton!

I've ordered some Orangajuli, which is what I believe I looked at previously. They have free delivery at the moment if you order over £20.
Just found the following site by chance:
http://www.mightyleafteas.co.uk/default.aspx

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #87
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you put soya milk in tea/coffee Geoff??
I tried it a couple of times but it 'curdles' on contact - looks horrible.

Wouldn't mind having a soya milk option for coffee, but I've never got it to work.
er - no - drinking green tea we don't perceive the need and as for coffee we just take it black ....

i think you may have to add the soya milk after, rather than before - i've managed OK when we've had guests and they have black tea (rather than green)...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #88
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Astra, see message #34 in this thread.

I buy both loose and bag versions of the Daily Green Tea. I have tried several of their premium green teas but I do not like the smoky or nutty flavor that some have.
I have found that I like to brew the tea for exactly 2 minutes 30 seconds and I use a timer for that purpose.
Thanks.
I wonder whether anyone know good quality Green tea bags?

Last edited by astra; 09-03-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #89
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I have never found good quality green tea bags and I have tried. This is one product that I think you really have to find in a Japanese store. I didn't even like the green teas that I tried from the Asian market (mostly Chinese).

Good green tea is very hard to find. I think I posted earlier that Glandeves has a very good white peony tea that reminded me of some of the very good Japanese green teas. That's the closest I have come other than getting it from Japan. And it too is a loose tea.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #90
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I use a Russell Sage tea pot with diffuser and water kettle system. I'm thinking of buying the SmartKettle Model 688 which maintains water temperature although I rather like the UtiliTEA Kettle and really am interested in the Breville Variable-Temperature Kettle.

None of the kettles would suit me because I brew teas very differently.
I use some sort of japanese teapot. I put tea into a sieve which I put into teapot. I usually cool down water in a water jug and pour it into teapot when it is right temperature (I use water thermometer), brew it as long as a particular tea requires then remove sieve with tea, cover teapot with Tent Teapot Cozy and drink is slowly after that.