Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
HeyPadre
HeyPadre began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
New Kindle user

Hello,
Just received my Kindle 2 for my birthday and am in the process of trying to figure out how to download free ebooks. So far I can't even get the USB port to recognize my Kindle. Oh, well, these problems are not new.
Enjoying what I have downloaded from the Kindle Store, however.

HeyPadre
HeyPadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If you go to MENU and EXPERIMENTAL, and then CLOSE BOOKMARKS, you can eventually type in www.mobileread.com/mobiguide and that will download the list of books *here* straight to your Kindle, without needing the USB to work yet.

Then you can click on any of the links IN that list of books, and the book will likewise download over the air. Voila!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MobileRead, HeyPadre

I have a Sony 505 so I'm not very knowledgeable about the Kindle but the below links may get you started. Of course, one of the friendlies around here will soon jump in with additional information if needed. Just ask in any of the forum threads and someone will chime in with help....

The MR Wiki has lots of information to get started with....
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

Warning: This place is addictive
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Also, if you do a restart you'll probably fix the USB issue. From home, hit the menu button; select settings. Press the menu button again, and select "Restart." The Kindle will power off and power on. You will not lose anything.
All should then be good.

DO NOT select "Reset to Factor Conditions." That WILL wipe your Kindle.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Is it a Mac or PC that is giving you USB issues? (Please don't say VISTA .... though if you do, search for that. I've ignored some threads talking about it.)

P.S. Happy Birthday!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi HeyPadre and welcome to Mobileread. Good to have another Virginian on board.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyPadre View Post
Hello,
Just received my Kindle 2 for my birthday and am in the process of trying to figure out how to download free ebooks. So far I can't even get the USB port to recognize my Kindle. Oh, well, these problems are not new.
Enjoying what I have downloaded from the Kindle Store, however.

HeyPadre
Welcome to MobileRead.

On the Amazon kindle discussion forums, some have had success plugging it into a back port. Something about more powerful ports back there.

what do I know.....I have K1 and have not had any issues........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Welcome! Sometimes when I hook up my Kindle to the usb port on my computer, I get "not recognizable error message". But if I restart my computer then it will usually recognize it. Just some little idiosyncrasies of the two systems not speaking the same language.
Oh, and don't forget to check out Feedbooks.com for hundreds of cool books on many, many different subjects. Download them in the "mobi" format to your computer and transfer via usb to Kindle. They also have an mobile site and you can download directly through your browser like MobileRead. www.feedbooks.com/mobile/kindle
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote