Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
dclewis
dclewis began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Feature Request - Show Dropbox Directories

Within "Get Books", in the Dropbox option, please show the EPUB Ebooks grouped within the directory (folder) hierarchy. Please show the full path to the root of the user's Dropbox, even if you must wrap the path name to multiple lines.

I have my Ebooks organized into specific folders within my Dropbox. However, I cannot necessarily find the book I want in the list currently given by Marvin. Also, I separate DRM & DRM-free Ebooks into different folders, yet both are included in Marvin's list.

This feature would also apply to other cloud storage services you may decide to support in the future, such as iCloud or Google Cloud (neither of which I currently use).

Also, please consider offering various sort orders for listing the books in each Dropbox folder, and for listing the folders themselves.
dclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Thanks for your idea. Actually, at the moment I'm working on a new Dropbox system to get around the current "1000 book" limitation and I'll be checking out your idea while I'm working on it.

Tip: if you go "Home > Settings (gear icon) > Services" you can force Marvin to only look in a specified folder for EPUB books.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
dclewis

Thanks. It worked great on both my iPad and my iPhone.

I look forward to your revised Dropbox system.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dclewis - I finally have a working prototype of Marvin that can read beyond the current 1000 book limit. I think it will make it in the next or following update.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Any update on this? I'm having an issue with the 1000 book limit.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I also would like the ability to maneuver up or down within folders in Dropbox. I realize you can change the directory with Settings/Service/ etc. but that is a bit tedious. The Dream Voice app is an example of an app that has this ability.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
kguil
Addict

Due to the deadline I had to update Marvin for iOS 8, I didn't manage to fit in the Dropbox update. I'll be working on it soon.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
dclewis

Thanks for keeping us posted. iOS 8 is certainly the priority. Afterwards, I look forward to the Dropbox update.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
kguil
Addict

You're welcome. Note that I don't have plans to add Dropbox directory navigation into Marvin and this is by design. I always meant the Dropbox screen in Marvin to be a quick way to access books without navigation.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
You're welcome. Note that I don't have plans to add Dropbox directory navigation into Marvin and this is by design. I always meant the Dropbox screen in Marvin to be a quick way to access books without navigation.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
dclewis

Directory Navigation is Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
While you provided have provided quick, simple access to Dropbox and the other Cloud services (thank you!), my library has grown to the point where a directory organization is mandatory.

For example, I have 160 DRM-Free novels and shorter stories on Dropbox, and that number is only going to grow. Others appear to have far more, if a 1,000 book limit is a concern.

If I'm just adding a newly purchased book or two, the existing simple interface is sufficient. But, if I have to restore a significant portion of my library, and then organize the books and give each the correct status, then the existing simple interface would be totally inadequate.

Please reconsider adding a directory organization for accessing Dropbox and the other Cloud services.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You really don't need directory organization. The search through Dropbox in Marvin is superb. You just type any word in the book's author or title and all the matches instantly come up. It's the same system as calibre, but goes a lot faster. I have >1k books in there too, so the search is speedy even with a lot of books.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #13
Marcy
Guru

Any update on this? Now that the Marvin XD plugin isn't working I don't have a way to get books onto my shiny new iPhone 6+. Ironically the reason I went to the 6+ was to read!

I can 1000 books onto the iPhone, but alas none of those 1000 are the books I'm currently reading at the moment.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
There are lots of ways to get books into Marvin. You can email yourself the book as an attachment and load it into Marvin with the 'open in' button. You can store the book in Dropbox, open it using the Dropbox iOS app, and load it into Marvin with the 'open in' button. You can plug your phone into your computer and use iTunes to drag epub files into Marvin.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
I have over 5000 ebooks in Dropbox. The lack of folders means I can't graze when away from my main machine with the Calibre OPDS. It's annoying.
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropbox, folder support, icloud