Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
vrflash
vrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Table conversion for Kindle

I created a simple 2-column table in Word. I have some terms in the first column and their translations in the other. When I converted to MOBI using Calibre, the terms are not lined up the resulting Kindle file. I tried converting to PDF too, but the resulting file that looks right in PDF just puts both columns in the first one, one below the other, in the Kindle.

Thank you
vrflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 not mobi.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
vrflash
vrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it isvrflash knows what time it is

Didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert to azw3 not mobi.
Not only it didn't work, but I couldn't use the View function of Calibre anymore.
Instead, the Winzip comes up.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrflash View Post
Not only it didn't work, but I couldn't use the View function of Calibre anymore.
Instead, the Winzip comes up.
Preferences->Behaviour>Use internal viewer for Check AZW3

I suspect your computer's OS has Winzip associated with the AZW3 file. Did Winzip open the AZW3 or did it report an error. Calibre does not create any OS level associations.

I suggest you remove the OS association for AZW3 referring to Winzip, or change it to something that 'understands' the AZW3 file format - eg Kindle for PC/Mac or Calibre's ebook_viewer.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also do remember that using the calibre viewer to see how a conversion to a format other than ePub is kinda pointless; the calibre viewer does a simple conversion back to ePub to view a book. You would be better opening the material in one of the Kindle PC programs,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
vrflash

Preferences->Behaviour>Use internal viewer for Check AZW3

It was already checked. I checked the ZIP option as well and now can use the internal viewer, even it's pointless. But the cells in the table are still not lined up in the kindle.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@vrflash

Aaaah, I think I understand - I'm guessing you saved the Word file as Filtered HTML and added that into Calibre - Calibre would have created the ZIP from the file that Word wrote because that's what Calibre does with HTML files.

Reading the ZIP with Calibre will do a 'quick convert' to EPUB.

If you are using Word 2007 or later, I suggest you try saving the document as DOCX and adding it to the Book - Kovid has has recently added support for DOCX as an input format. Then convert the DOCX to AZW3.

And as PeterT suggests read the AZW3 with the Kindle for PC/MAC program. Reading Kindle format files with Calibre's Viewer may not give a true indication of what you would see on a Kindle reader because once again it does a 'quick convert' to EPUB.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
vrflash

BetterRed

Yes, filtered HTML. I have Word 2003. But even if I bypass the Calibre viewer all together, the rows in the Kindle table are still not aligned. Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, filtered HTML. I have Word 2003. But even if I bypass the Calibre viewer all together, the rows in the Kindle table are still not aligned. Any suggestions?
  1. Download the Free version of the Doxillion converter from NCH, and convert the .DOC file to .DOCX and convert that to AZW with Calibre
  2. read .DOC from Word with OOo Writer and convert to .ODT, then convert to .EPUB with the Writer2ePub plug-in (it's a Writer plugin) then use Calibre to convert to .AZW - see this thread in the Writer2ePub forum ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214927
  3. Post the .DOC file as an attachment to your post, I'll see if I can do anything with it - but don't post here it if it's copyrighted, post a sample
BR
Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
vrflash

BetterRed, I finally managed using option 1 and making the smallest fonts. Thank you so much.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
BetterRed, I finally managed using option 1 and making the smallest fonts. Thank you so much.
And thank you for letting us know vrflash

Another for Kovid's DOCX conversion

And via the Doxillion program we have a potential conversion path for Word 2003 DOC files to take advantage of Calibre's new DOCX conversion feature.

There's always another way to skin a cat

BR