Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
Surely we should not aim to keep all knowledge that could be used by some in unethical, or even worse ways, a secret? Where do you draw the line? Who decides?
People learned how to use 3G for tethering and gave out the knowledge. Now the Kindle 3G is limited because of this. It is one thing to mod a Kindle for your own use. It's another to mod a Kindle where it costs Amazon money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Amazon decides where to draw the line. We believe that they locked down the Paperwhite firmware so hard BECAUSE of ad removal without paying amazon.

There is still no (published) method of jailbreaking a kindle that was shipped with 5.3.0 firmware. And even when a PW jailbreak gets published, amazon may be quick to push a firmware update to disable it.

We hope to establish some new rules to convince amazon to let us customize our future kindles. This may require not publishing information here that will harm amazon's profitability enough to keep locking down their devices (amazon lost money last quarter)...

Sometimes a little censorship is required (when people refuse to exercise sufficient self-control). There is a group of developers who agree with this position. Those who wish to remove ads will just have to learn how to use Google (and perhaps a few linux commands).
What I don't get it why people pay for an ad supported Kindle and then want to remove the ads right away without paying. Why not just get a non-ad supported Kindle and be done with it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #78
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I don't get it why people pay for an ad supported Kindle and then want to remove the ads right away without paying. Why not just get a non-ad supported Kindle and be done with it?
It's cheaper.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #79
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
It's cheaper.
Putting an MP3 player in your pocket and walking out the door without paying for it is cheaper too...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #80
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Putting an MP3 player in your pocket and walking out the door without paying for it is cheaper too...
I never buy the SO Kindles. JSWolf wanted to know why they were doing it. I wasn't trying to justify it or anything... Man, I hate threads like this...
I most likely won't respond to a thread like this again.

Last edited by qlob; 12-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #81
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
People learned how to use 3G for tethering and gave out the knowledge. Now the Kindle 3G is limited because of this. It is one thing to mod a Kindle for your own use. It's another to mod a Kindle where it costs Amazon money.
Could not agree more and people blatantly mis-using a service (3G) in a way that costs Amazon money, should take responibility for their actions. Just like shop-lifters and all other criminals. Having the information is not the same as using the information.

But to say that not looking at the special offers on the SO Kindles is costing Amazon money is a bit of a stretch for me.

I also think that people who never ever want to look at or use the special offers should just buy the ones without special offers, but I still want the ability to look at and use the special offers, so I don't want them disabled permanently by Amazon. I would appreciate the ability to toggle them on when I want to and toggle them off when I am travelling or in a country where they cannot be used.

It is quite sad that Amazon tries to lock down all development, good and bad. Why not just put the effort to stop the stuff they really believe is hurting them. Or do they really view all development as bad?
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I would appreciate the ability to toggle them on when I want to and toggle them off when I am travelling or in a country where they cannot be used.
If you buy a KSO in the country where they're legally sold (ie the US), and you pay to remove the special offers, you can subsequently toggle them off and on again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #83
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you buy a KSO in the country where they're legally sold (ie the US), and you pay to remove the special offers, you can subsequently toggle them off and on again.
Cool! So this means that I can get the special offers also on my non-SO Kindle?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Cool! So this means that I can get the special offers also on my non-SO Kindle?
You can if you have a US Amazon account. Not otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #85
JNT
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can if you have a US Amazon account. Not otherwise.
This is great! Even "hated" threads like this can be a source of good information...