Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
HTC One-X Owners ?

I was wondering how it compares to a 4S Apple in these areas:

1. BATTERY
2. DISPLAY QUALITY (the iphone is extremely natural in colors and not over saturated like those ugly samsungs, is the One X more iphone style or more samsung style ?)
3. build quality.

I do enjoy reading on an iphone but now that One X and 4S cost the same price, i can't decide where to go.

Coming from an iphone 4.
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
First let me say that I have a strong bias for Android devices. I find Apple products extremely restricted and their interface is quite boring.

I have an HTC EVO LTE, it's from the One X family so most of the internals are the same. It just also has two upgrades (micro-SD slot and kickstand). I can't really comment on One X build quality but the build quality of my Evo LTE is top notch (a big reason I chose it over Samsung).

Screen: The display on these is simply stunning. The best way to describe it would be one of those demo phones at the store with the fake screen.

Camera: The One X line added a dedicated image chip for the camera and it really makes a noticeable difference. This wont replace a DSLR but it will easily replace a point and shoot.

Battery: I was really upset to find out HTC went with a non-removable battery for their One X line. I was coming from the original Evo 4G which had a horrible battery that I replaced with an extended one. My new HTC battery last much longer than the extended battery in my old phone. They did a great job in correcting this problem.

Processor: Due to some issues with LTE, the US release contains a 2-core CPU instead of the 4-core found in the international version. However, there's plenty of benchmarks floating around to show that this is not a limiting factor at all.

OS: Android 4.0 has been impressively stable for me. They have fixed a lot of the bugs from 2.3 (phones) and 3.x (tablets). HTC has their own layer called Sense. This is more just eye candy but really nice eye candy at that.

Off topic - It amazes me that less than 2 years ago I purchased a Dell Mini9 netbook and the phone has more processing power, ram and storage space.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
One other thing nobylspoon didn't mention is that the One X phones have a 4.7 inch screen compared to the 3.5 inch screen of the 4S. If you like to read, watch video, surf the internet, etc., then the extra screen space makes a big difference.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Not much to add from the previous posts they are pretty accurate. I don't own a HTC One X but here is a review comparing the iPhone5 vs HTC One X. Spec wise they are pretty close the S4 is on par with the A6 and with the T3. The T3 will only outperform the other two with CPU intensive apps like moves in HD and games.

Quote:
HTC One X vs. the iPhone 5

We know how nice the screen on the One X is, and it's pretty universally accepted that it is the best the industry has to offer.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not much to add from the previous posts they are pretty accurate. I don't own a HTC One X but here is a review comparing the iPhone5 vs HTC One X. Spec wise they are pretty close the S4 is on par with the A6 and with the T3. The T3 will only outperform the other two with CPU intensive apps like moves in HD and games.

=X=
That compares the new iPhone 5 to the HTC One X. The OP was asking about the iPhone 4S. While the iphone 5 has pretty much caught up in processing power, the iPhone 4S is way behind the One X. The screen resolution on the 4S is higher, but that is only because the screen is much smaller.

I am considering the One X and have checked it out in the store. The only reason I have not bought is because I want to have a look at the soon to come out new One X and the Samsung Note 2. Yes, I like the One X's screen a lot better than the Note 1, but I would like to have a pen.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-17-2012 at 01:48 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Very tempting ! Best display on the market ?! I like that !
But wait, is it coming from people who LIKE the Galaxy's dislpay ? Because I think it's absolutely ugly and not natural as an Iphone.

Also, what happens if I want to change out a battery after a year or so? That's their effective lifespan in these devices with 2x day charges.
In the Iphone is very simple.... Is it also a DIY with One X ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post
But wait, is it coming from people who LIKE the Galaxy's dislpay ? Because I think it's absolutely ugly and not natural as an Iphone.

Also, what happens if I want to change out a battery after a year or so? That's their effective lifespan in these devices with 2x day charges.
The AMOLED screens Samsung uses are have very saturated colors, to me they don't look very natural. The HTC One X uses a different technology and the colors look similar to the iphones, but the One X has better readability in sunlight.

You definitely won't need to charge 2x a day (unless you are streaming video over WiFi all day long), but on most smartphones you will be hard pressed to get two full days of usage on a single charge if you are a really heavy user. Expect 2 years or a little more ON AVERAGE for these batteries. How much it will cost to replace the battery you have to ask the seller. If you are good with your hands you should be able to buy a spare somewhere and do it yourself.

You might also have a look at a Samsung display and ask them to tone down the color saturation somewhat? For display they usually set it to ridiculously high levels to make the colors stand out. But you can play around with it to see if you can find a setting you are comfortable with.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-17-2012 at 04:27 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That compares the new iPhone 5 to the HTC One X. The OP was asking about the iPhone 4S. While the iphone 5 has pretty much caught up in processing power, the iPhone 4S is way behind the One X. The screen resolution on the 4S is higher, but that is only because the screen is much smaller.
Good point, however I figured the OP could deduce that if the One X was as good or better than the iPhone 5 it would be that much better than the iPhone4

Yes also the One
X has Beats Audio and an excellent camera one of the best on the Android market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post

True they like the Galaxy, so do all the millions of folks who bought the Galaxy - - including me , but they all across the board say the One X has a much better screen.

Hans mentioned it in a previous post a new 'tech refresh' HTC One X+ is slated to be released soon, it has hit the FCC. One of the rumors is it will be upgrading the battery from 1800 to 2100mA

I don't understand your comment about the iphone
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
I'd say hold off on the One X, if for no other reason than the One X+ is supposed to be announced on Wednesday. It's supposed to get a spec bump and a battery bump.

Also, if you're into rooting and using custom roms, make sure the bootloader is unlocked. Case in point, the AT&T version is rather locked down, but the Canadian LTE and international Tegra 3 versions are not.

Finally...how long are you planning on keeping the phone? If it's just for two years, the battery should be enough. If longer...find out if HTC will replace the battery for you once its capacity begins to degrade. Apple does this (though of course they charge an arm and a leg for it), but I haven't found any mention of HTC even offering the same service at any price.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
sven31
sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sven31 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
it's just a phone... and you are using iphone 4 so u are always going for another iphone... do it now !!
sven31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Of course, in the time between that last response and the rest, the 8X has been introduced, with a better screen than the One X or the iP5 (1280 x 720, 341 ppi, 4.3" Super LCD 2) and WP8 instead of Android. Let's hope Microsoft is better at convincing carriers to deliver software updates than Google, because Jellybean's already good and WP8 still needs a bit of polish.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Isn't that always the way, you wait too long and something better comes along. Then you that this all over again, and the cycle repeats.

I had this with the One X myself, do I get it or wait for the S3 to come out? I bought the One X and have no regrets.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote