Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Callahan series - Spider Robinson

I love the Callahan series they are PUNderful
anyione else a fan or seen electronic copies anywhere?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Several books in the series have been released by Baen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Excellent I'll go look

EDIT: unfortunately only two of the series! from the middle!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2 is better than none.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
The Callahan books are some of the most entertaining stories I've ever read. Unfortunatley, Spider has only two camps: those who "get it" and those who haven't a clue. I especially liked Punday nights!

By the way here is Spider's Official website:
http://www.spiderrobinson.com/
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
2 is better than none.
Not if you've never read the series and want to start from the beginning. This very issue is one reason eBooks are not doing as well as they should.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not if you've never read the series and want to start from the beginning. This very issue is one reason eBooks are not doing as well as they should.
I agree completely - while many series can be read out of order without any trouble, I prefer to read them as written. It's only logical to follow a series from start to finish, as the author wrote them (or in some cases intended them to be written). But most publishers just don't get it. Publishing say, book # 6 of a series in e-book format, reducing the price or giving it away free IS NOT GOING TO SELL MORE BOOKS!
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard

if Baen had them I would happily buy them!
I have them all in paperback. they are available to download illegally! which I wont. I cant 'format shift' them in the UK or type them up as thats ilegal.

It really sucks!
Old 07-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
if Baen had them I would happily buy them!
I have them all in paperback. they are available to download illegally! which I wont. I cant 'format shift' them in the UK or type them up as thats ilegal.

It really sucks!
It does, but we're stuck with it. Baen doesn't have the rights to all of the books.

Spider had been published by Tor Books, and created a flurry of controversy when he publically criticized Tor. He had submitted a couple of books for publication (one Callahan, one not), and was unhappy with the offered deal. He complained that it was becoming impossible to make a living as a freelance writer, but he couldn't realistically go back to a day job.

Tor said they made an offer consistent with what his sales had been and what they could reasonably expect from the offered titles.

The response of most other SF pros I knew was that Spider hadn't been reading the tea leaves. Things were tough for everyone, and he was no exception. Book sales were flat or down, publishing was contracting, offered advances would not be what they might once have been, and criticizing Tor (who is generally considered one of the best in dealing fairly with authors) in public wouldn't help his case and might shoot his career in both feet. (If you lambaste your publisher in public, how enthusiastic do you think another house will be about dealing with you?)

The Callahan titles wound up at Baen in the process. Perhaps Baen has done better by Spider than Tor. I have no way of knowing.

Meanwhile, I read the earlier Callahan collections with pleasure, but I fear I haven't been as pleased with the later ones. Like Piers Anthony's Xanth books, it's a series I think should have been allowed to end. I love good puns, but I need a book to be more than an excuse for good puns, and as later books delved into the back story of who and what Callhan was, I found it increasingly harder to suspend disbelief.

Lobby Baen to acquire the rights to the other titles and issue them as Webscriptions. If they get enough demand, it might happen.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Owning an eReader ( ) doesn't prevent one from reading paper books. I still read a mixture of the two. Being able to buy at least two of a series in electronic format is two better than not being able to buy any. Sure, it would be nice if every book we wanted was available as an eBook, but we have to deal with the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

It is difficult when different publishers have the rights to different books. I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie, and the same is true there. Most of her books (about 55) are with HarperCollins, and they are all available as eBooks. The remaining 25 or so, however, are with different publishers and have not yet been published as eBooks.

The best thing to do is to let the publisher know directly that you'd like to see specific books as eBooks.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
They have some of the most amazing humor I have seen in any series anywhere. Punny, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I love the Callahan series they are PUNderful
anyione else a fan or seen electronic copies anywhere?
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've read all of them-- I started reading them with the publication of "Fivesight" in OMNI magazine, long and long ago. The later ones do vary in quality more than the earlier ones. I still thought Callahan's Key was worth a re-read, but not so much Callahan's Con.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Baen does have a couple of the Callahan books for sale. Lady Slings the Booze and Callahan's Lady. But that's it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Baen does have a couple of the Callahan books for sale. Lady Slings the Booze and Callahan's Lady. But that's it.
As mentioned, Baen wasn't the original publisher, and doesn't have rights to all of them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote