Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Question 650 Vs 600 Keyboard: Toughts from users of both

I found this review of the 650 versus 600 and I am pretty much convinced that it's time to replace the 600. However, there is one thing I am dying to know...

Does the touchscreen keyboard work faster on the 650?

I take extensive notes and when I type, there is a HUGE lag on the 600. Because of that, I am forced to ignore all my spelling and grammar mistakes. I fix them only after I have exported my notes to PC... if I can remember what in the world I was trying to say in the first place.

P.S. Sure wish this model had wifi. :/

P.S. part deux: Feel free to offer any ideas for a different model that has ALL the existing Sony Touch features.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I haven't used a PRS600 and I don't use the notes feature much...

However, I just tried typing in a Text Memo on the PRS650 using the touchscreen keyboard and it was typing as fast as I could tap.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
However, I just tried typing in a Text Memo on the PRS650 using the touchscreen keyboard and it was typing as fast as I could tap.
This may seem silly, but would you help me a bit more by opening a book, highlighting a paragraph and then make an annotation for that paragraph. (This feature is different than the text memo app on the device and it may act different.) If you would type at least three sentences as quickly as you can, it would give a good indication of lag. (I assume you are at least a moderate speed typist like myself.)

Also, has the auto-correct improved? It's fairly useless on the PRS-600. It seems to use words that I already typed rather than a dictionary. So, misspelled words often pop-up (if I recall).

Thank you so much!

UPDATE:
I just found this review on Amazon.com and it worries me. This model is so darn expensive and I planed to buy TWO for my wife and I. Here is the part I am referring to:

Quote:
The bad news are: 1) it is awfully slow if you make much more than a few highlights (even when these highlight are in books other that the one you are reading now! I'm talking about waiting 20 seconds or more to turn a page, if you happen to highlight something at the end of it...)
We both do a LOT of annotations and highlighting anf this could very well be why things slow down as they have for me when typing annotations...

Last edited by bakura82; 01-24-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That review is a pile of turds. It's just not true. I have a 650 and I recently I had a book on my 650 that had almost 70 different highlights and it did not slow down at all. Whoever left the review saying the 650 slows down with more then a few highlights is wrong. I know this from using my 650. I don't have problems with highlights and speed. I think this person works for Amazon.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
This may seem silly, but would you help me a bit more by opening a book, highlighting a paragraph and then make an annotation for that paragraph. (This feature is different than the text memo app on the device and it may act different.) If you would type at least three sentences as quickly as you can, it would give a good indication of lag. (I assume you are at least a moderate speed typist like myself.)
I tried this on both an EPUB and a PDF. I couldn't see any noticeable lag. I tapped as fast as I could manage with the stylus. Then I tried correcting my spelling as I was typing. Again, no problem.

Quote:
Also, has the auto-correct improved? It's fairly useless on the PRS-600. It seems to use words that I already typed rather than a dictionary. So, misspelled words often pop-up (if I recall).
I'm not sure I know what you mean by auto-correct. I also looked in the user manual and couldn't find a reference.

As I don't use Notes very much, JSWolf's personal experience is probably more valuable to you.

FWIW I love the PRS650 - definitely a step up from the PRS505 (which I have donated to the Other Half).
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That review is a pile of turds. It's just not true. I have a 650 and I recently I had a book on my 650 that had almost 70 different highlights and it did not slow down at all. Whoever left the review saying the 650 slows down with more then a few highlights is wrong. I know this from using my 650. I don't have problems with highlights and speed. I think this person works for Amazon.
Thanks for the info. It seemed a little unusual. I am also very confused as to why there are so few reviews. Hasn't the 650 been out for 4 or 5 months now?

Quote:
I tried this on both an EPUB and a PDF. I couldn't see any noticeable lag. I tapped as fast as I could manage with the stylus.
Ahhh. I type with my fingers. I wonder if this is much faster. I am glad that you didn't notice anything. Thank you so much for your effort.

Quote:
I'm not sure I know what you mean by auto-correct. I also looked in the user manual and couldn't find a reference.
Maybe I should have said auto-fill. When I type a word on my PRS-600, it pops up a few possible choices for what I am thinking that way I can choose to do auto-fill. Unfortunately, I remember it only choosing words that I have already typed. I need to test it later, but I think it also remembered my typos. I am not a fan of this feature.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe I should have said auto-fill. When I type a word on my PRS-600, it pops up a few possible choices for what I am thinking that way I can choose to do auto-fill. Unfortunately, I remember it only choosing words that I have already typed. I need to test it later, but I think it also remembered my typos. I am not a fan of this feature.
A-ha, the mist is clearing! I was so busy trying to tap fast I didn't notice that words were being offered for selection just above the keyboard. It does seem to only be words recently typed though. It's not like predictive text on a mobile phone.

Quote:
Ahhh. I type with my fingers. I wonder if this is much faster. I am glad that you didn't notice anything. Thank you so much for your effort.
The keyboard is a little small for fingers, though a fingernail works. But if I go fast the stylus seems more reliable. Occasionally characters got missed when I used a fingernail.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
A-ha, the mist is clearing! I was so busy trying to tap fast I didn't notice that words were being offered for selection just above the keyboard. It does seem to only be words recently typed though. It's not like predictive text on a mobile phone.
darn.i was really hoping that they would have this down by now.

Quote:
The keyboard is a little small for fingers, though a fingernail works. But if I go fast the stylus seems more reliable. Occasionally characters got missed when I used a fingernail.
Yeah. That makes sense. I had similar problems. My goal was to type as fast as possible. I reread and correct once the notes are on the PC.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
650 v 600 keyboard

I've owned both.

I think the actual typing speed is about the same. The keyboard experience is comparable. Personally I find this okay.

Make annotations is much faster on the 650. The delay opening the annotation interface, the erasing, the marking, etc are all much faster on the 650 and perfectly usable (unlike on the 600).

Originally I didn't have an SD card, and I think I started to notice a slow-down with annotations, but nor sure. Now I store all books on the SD card and there is no slow down where many annotations are used. I did the same on the 600 and it worked there too. Keep books on external card. Leave base RAM free.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Does the touchscreen keyboard work faster on the 650?
I ended up buying two 950s. I really like this device, but it hasn't advanced over the 600 nearly as much as I hoped. The speed is marginally faster. As for my question, the keyboard as much lag as it did before. I simply type way too fast for it and I really don't feel that I have a fast typing speed. The input is more accurate though, so I am making less mistakes. that's a plus.

I just thought I would clear this up for anyone who might want to know.

Tags
600, 650, keyboard, lag