Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
terminate telephony apps under Dingo?

It's been discussed about renaming telephony apps to reduce battery drain. Can this be done under Dingo as well? I installed z4root but I haven't run it yet and I have not upgraded es explorer. I wanted to see if this was possible under Dingo first. Thanks...
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
inbred.farmer
inbred.farmer began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
I don't see why not, but I can't test it out for you since I have already updated to ermine. As long as those two apks still exist in the /system/apps (I think that is the directory) then you should be able to rename them the same way and for the same benefit. Of course there could be differences between the two versions. It seems strange to me that they would ship a device with these services enabled if it can't even use them, so there is probably a chance that they aren't even enabled in the Dingo release so you might want to verify that. It could just be something that is enabled by the update for whatever reason and they never got around to disabling them, but what do I know? Somebody else that knows what they are talking about will probably respond with a more useful answer tomorrow.
inbred.farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
It’s absolutely unbelievable you’re forgoing a proven method of substantially prolonging battery life – upgrading to Ermine – to get some questionable and marginal at best gain using much more dangerous way of rooting and renaming system app.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
It’s absolutely unbelievable you’re forgoing a proven method of substantially prolonging battery life – upgrading to Ermine – to get some questionable and marginal at best gain using much more dangerous way of rooting and renaming system app.
Dangerous? As opposed to possibly bricking the device simply by upgrading? It may be a proven method of extended battery life, but it is also a proven method of (possibly) destroying it.

I have been researching the upgrade process on this forum and, in this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...update+upgrade - the process is fully annotated. So after the upgrade this is the result:

1. possible lockup coming out of hibernation - for which there is a work around.
2. WSOD - no workaround.
3. battery life - still have to rename/delete telephony apps.
4. moving apps2sd - workaround given.
5. E-ink PDF Annotation - issues with workaround given.
6. browser crashes - workaround?

I use Linux everyday on all of my systems, so I am no stranger to upgrades breaking things. But on my computers, an upgrade never results in an expensive paper weight. You either do a workaround or you reinstall. Since that is not a possibility for a hardware failure, I just don't think it's worth risking on a piece of hardware that I do actually enjoy without the possibility of a replacement/repair from a now defunct company. If Entourage were still in business and would readily replace my PE when it turned into a brick, I would update in a heartbeat.

BTW - I guess I am just spoiled by my HP iPAQ. I've had that thing for years and, still using the original battery, using it every day, I only have to charge it once every couple of weeks. I have no idea why no one seems to be able to design devices like that anymore!

Last edited by rebeltaz; 09-29-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Ipaq! That's what it's called!

I've been trying to remember that for days. I finally stopped using mine after I had had my PE for a few months. The only thing I miss from my iPaq is syncing with Windows. But that's a small price to pay for all the benefits I've gained in switching to the PE!

Oh, did I stray off topic?
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Ipaq! That's what it's called!

I've been trying to remember that for days. I finally stopped using mine after I had had my PE for a few months. The only thing I miss from my iPaq is syncing with Windows. But that's a small price to pay for all the benefits I've gained in switching to the PE!

Oh, did I stray off topic?
That's OK It's my fault.

As much as I love my PE, I cannot see myself carrying that thing on my hip the way I can my iPAQ. And since I am a diehard Linux user, I haven't been able to sync (well, I could but it's too much of a pain to be worth it to me) in forever! Oh, and the iPAQ doubles as a universal remote on my job (technician) which the PE cannot do... can it?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
That's OK It's my fault.

As much as I love my PE, I cannot see myself carrying that thing on my hip the way I can my iPAQ. And since I am a diehard Linux user, I haven't been able to sync (well, I could but it's too much of a pain to be worth it to me) in forever! Oh, and the iPAQ doubles as a universal remote on my job (technician) which the PE cannot do... can it?
Depends on what you want to remotely control I use mine on occasion to do things like reset servers and switches.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have a purse with a nice, big, padded pocket for my PE.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
rebeltaz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I have a purse with a nice, big, padded pocket for my PE.
Hmmm... I don't think I can pull off carrying a purse!