Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #31
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I'm not fussed as to which one uses:

See OED - infer, v ...;to imply. (Said of a fact or statement;

and is very common in modern usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The words aren't interchangeable.

Inferring is a conclusion you reach based on other peoples' views.
Implying is a suggestion you're making to other people.

I can infer something from what you imply. Not vice versa.
Out of curiosity, I looked up "infer" in the Oxford Dictionary of English on my Sony reader. Under the definition there is a discussion of usage which is basically a longer version of what Harry said. It also says "the error is common enough for some dictionaries to record it as a more or less standard use", so I guess it must be one of those words that has been misused so many times that the incorrect use is becoming accepted.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #32
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind redoing the video at 720 or 1080? It's 240 and very fuzzy. Thanks.
OK but still I am not the next von trier, still looks terrible compared to the original I have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnuyC_abWw

EDIT: the video is terrible, please consider the other video for the eink screen visibility. Anyway it is clear that works really good with moon reader, and so do with Mantano or whatever chess, mail, whatsapp etc app you like

Last edited by trocchietto; 10-22-2016 at 02:12 PM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm fine with the quality of the video but it didn't really deal with my main question: can I scroll text in Moon+ while using the e-ink screen? Can you tell me if that works? I don't really need a video. I'll believe you. Although a video might show me how well it works.

The main reason I like Moon+ is because I really like to use manual scrolling instead of page turns. If that wasn't available I'd still prefer Moon+ but I'm not sure the phone would tempt me as much.

Also what can you tell me about battery life on the Yotaphone? I have a Nexus 5, a really excellent phone in most ways, but it's battery life is poor. I have to charge it in the middle of the day and again overnight. For that reason I'm in the market for a new phone but I haven't found the one I really want yet. The Yotaphone, because of the e-ink screen, just might be perfect for me but there's so little information about it and I can't really afford to gamble.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #34
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
...It also says "the error is common enough for some dictionaries to record it as a more or less standard use", so I guess it must be one of those words that has been misused so many times that the incorrect use is becoming accepted.
That is correct, although many references do accept the use without comment. The OED says This use is widely considered to be incorrect, esp. with a person as the subject; at least in my electronic version, and so is not dismissive of the use. And in another dictionary (published 1999) it has a note that such use in formal literature may draw disapproval from pedantic users of the language. It may be, however, that they got that wrong because it seems that it can be so even in informal use of the language.

I won't get into the reasons associated with how and why English as a living language is changing as to word use and approaches to syntax (e.g. splitting infinitives is now regarded as acceptable) - as it always has been (EDIT: apologies Harry, I think I meant has DONE ) - and how these differ among communities. People also now talk of children not "learning" their first language but of their "acquiring" it; the first premise of language being the transfer of information, there are no grammatical rules written in stone for achieving that. With the increasing global use of English even its deeper structures are subject to change.

I always have a giggle when someone feels free to correct the English of another in informal spaces such as a casual online forum, except perhaps when the information intended to be conveyed by the writer is unclear. But if moderators are going to continue to do so, as Harry has done, then they sure as hell are going to be very busy .

I'll say no more as even though the rather acute detour from the original poster's thread topic was initiated by a moderator, I don't see fit to prolong the direction away from the Yotaphone myself.

Note: the above was informally thrashed out over a few moments on my keyboard, I take full responsibility for all errors, one, at least, made on purpose for flow .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-22-2016 at 06:28 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #35
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think pointing out errors in an informal discussion like this is a good thing. I do it in conversation all the time. I'm more hesitant to do it in a forum because it can divert the flow of the discussion, as it did in this case. Also, in a forum, it's harder to get across that such corrections are intended to be friendly. When I get corrected, and I do, I'm appreciative. To me that's just being helpful. We all make mistakes. Most of us care.

I'm not particularly fussy about language usage. My own habit is to try to say things in the clearest way I can. Often that means saying something wrong intentionally, especially when the topic is language itself. I'm fine with saying things wrong if it helps the flow. In general though, I'd rather get things right and I appreciate help with that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #36
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm fine with the quality of the video but it didn't really deal with my main question: can I scroll text in Moon+ while using the e-ink screen? Can you tell me if that works? I don't really need a video. I'll believe you. Although a video might show me how well it works.

The main reason I like Moon+ is because I really like to use manual scrolling instead of page turns. If that wasn't available I'd still prefer Moon+ but I'm not sure the phone would tempt me as much.

Also what can you tell me about battery life on the Yotaphone? I have a Nexus 5, a really excellent phone in most ways, but it's battery life is poor. I have to charge it in the middle of the day and again overnight. For that reason I'm in the market for a new phone but I haven't found the one I really want yet. The Yotaphone, because of the e-ink screen, just might be perfect for me but there's so little information about it and I can't really afford to gamble.

Barry

Barry, the scroll works the fact is I do not know how much the eink will survive using animations all the time. I do not know, I am not expert.
EVERYTHING you can do on LCD, you can do it on this eink screen, even there is a function to take photo...

the battery.. well I did a first full charge, have to wait a week to express judgments, and if I use the lcd, the consumption is more o less the one you could expect from one phone, but I have a lot of bloatware at this moment, do not have time to optimize it.
then for me is normal to use a power bank(please see first post), said that this is a telephone that should shine for battery life because as far as you use it for read on the eink surface and put it on aereoplane mode, should last for days. The main Android issues for consumption are screen and network calls( means apps that ask in the background connection to the internet) so as far you do not install that kind of apps, or you use as me aereoplane mode+ a lot of eink screen+ a power bank, virtually you will never have issues with battery, especially if after the first one or two times you charge from 0 to 100, then you maintain your charges between 40 to 80 percent.

There is a consideration due to the nature of the battery, being in stock all this time I am not sure that this kind of technology battery are efficient as few years ago when went in production, I can say that this is not a problem to me, because a battery can always be substitute with the years, I do not know for the eink screen, due to the fact this telephone is not mainstream in US and EU.

If you are reluctant, you could decide to wait for other reviews from others that will come in these days on this post as promised, but please bear in mind that this phone hitted the market if I well recall with a price higher than 600 eu, if suddenly the demand will increase vendors could make the price higher.

I repeat you is a little jewel, that did not take off because of the initial price and not mainstream distribution. Now possibly the specs are not competitive, for gaming super resource demanding app, and I knew that updating from lollipop to the new android SDK is not a good idea ( but is normal if you think over all the work made on top of android by yota engineers to use two screens..). but for less than 200 eu, I would not expect even the benchmark of 1000 eu today phones. I would say as far you like a 4,7 inches screens as you said( I would rather take a 5.7 one curved).Basically 4.7 inches for me are great, but most of the pdf have to be read on landscape, but if you use calibre or you have lot of epub, is not a problem because you can really easy use increase the font size. Pity moon+reader does not reflow pdf, possibly Mantano has it, do not know others. As far as you can see enlarged fonts reading is a pleasure and honestly considering the price, you get possibly the fastest eink ereader, with best dictionaries, open to every document, to your personal collections for 32GB(effective 29.3 GB), best customization(dozens of sw to chose), best portability( you manage all with one hand if you are geek as me ) and plus you get a 5inches phone with amoled screen for free......

Last edited by trocchietto; 10-23-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #37
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I received the Yota Phone on Thursday and I've installed and charged yesterday. I go with the same pair than my phone and the Energy Pro, CC and gitden. Gitden behaves much better in the eink screen in Yota Phone (not flash) than in Energy Pro, so it's a nice phone for me. I'm not going to use it all the time, only on weekends when I'm all the day out of home and read a bit from time to time but, even for commute, I feel it's a good device... if you don't mind the small screen (I don't).

Bear in mind, I've paid 121 €, so it's a very good price.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #38
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I received the Yota Phone on Thursday and I've installed and charged yesterday. I go with the same pair than my phone and the Energy Pro, CC and gitden. Gitden behaves much better in the eink screen in Yota Phone (not flash) than in Energy Pro, so it's a nice phone for me. I'm not going to use it all the time, only on weekends when I'm all the day out of home and read a bit from time to time but, even for commute, I feel it's a good device... if you don't mind the small screen (I don't).

Bear in mind, I've paid 121 €, so it's a very good price.
for people do not know http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/energy-ereader-pro.html

I agree the screen is small, but considering is a phone, is like you do not need to bring an ereader,a phone, a charger with you..even at gym, beach, on your desk, while you wait for a queue, is always with you, and this is an huge advantage, an ereader not, you need a bag

EDIT Last thought: after 3 days I have to say, is too small to have a pleasant and long reading experience. If you set the scroll is cool, but I am afraid is not optimal for the eink battery to have this continuous animation, and pdf are a challenge as with moon reader do not reflow, and Mantano does not enlarge too much the characters, so I should use other sw

when I am home at evening find more relaxing to read with my slow six inches ereader!
Still I love this devideon the go, for the battery life, google maps but should be a 5,7 inches telephone not 4,7. All the problems would be resolved. A new yota3 is coming in few month, but will cost more than 500 bucks

Last edited by trocchietto; 10-24-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I see it's now on offer to the UK at just under £107 including p&p.

Considering that I read for several years on various Sony Clies, I don't expect the 'small' screen to be a problem, but it will be interesting to see how well the screen works, how well integration with calibre goes, and how well (say) the Kindle Android app works on the E-Ink screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:42 AM   #40
trocchietto2
trocchietto2 began at the beginning.

Device: some
@pdurrant(sorry temporally I cannot log on the other account)

I gotta say after few weeks use, that the phone is just fantastic, my initial frustration for the small screen is completely disappeared.
The tip is to install your books in folders and subfolders, and launch them on click with different apps. (one for pdf/one for epub). In this way the fonts are fully manageable even in portrait, is a pleasure to have it in just one hand so light, on the go, so easily accesible, portable and really fast. I totally recommend it to everyone, even normal users one.

PLEASE consider updating to android 5 can give issues because of the inbuilt eink screen that is not standard de facto(at the moment)
trocchietto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #41
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
I'm waiting for one too. There's no way I'd have paid the previous prices but at £110 it seemed worth a try.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That Yotaphone 2 is rather tempting at that price.... I don't really need it, I quite like my current phone, and currently use moonreader for the odd occasions when I read on my phone, and it's actually not too bad. Hmmm, not sure I read on my phone often enough to make this worth trying, even at this tempting price.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #43
fozzedout
Guru
fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M96, Kindle Basic 2014, Onyx T68 Lynx, Icarus Illumina E653
Mine's just arrived today. I'll have to get a new sim card (nano), but once that is done, it will then become my main phone.

Tonight will be a night of messing around with apps.

Tip: if you find that apps are not compatible with it, the issue is that your Play Store is out of date. To update it, open up the Play Store, go to settings, scroll to the bottom of the menu, and you'll see the build version 5.1.xxxx.

Just tap on the build version, and a message box will pop up stating that it will update the version of the play store. And then nothing *appears* to happen (no notifications). It is actually downloading and installing in the background. After it's finished updating (a couple of minutes), the version will update to 7.xxx and you will be notified about all the other google apps that need updating (20+ apps).

Update all and you're good to go!
fozzedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #44
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Well, well. I'm very insterested in all the things you have to say about the YP.

Back when it first hit the market I had no intention of getting one, the pricetag killing it for me. And now, honestly, I've almost dropped the idea of having such a device altogether.

But if you convince me ...
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My Yotaphone has arrived!

Very nice packaging. I think mine was intended for the Japanese or Chinese market. But there are English instructions in there, and I could select English (UK) when starting up the phone.

I'm currently still working on getting the Android phone bits working - syncing between google and icloud is less seemless than I'd hoped. It looks like I might need to get some third-party apps.

The built-in ebook reader for the e0ink display looks a bit primative so far - only one font, and no selection of justification on/of, line height, margins, etc.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote