Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #61
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Hey Hob, thanks for all the info on the Energy Pro firmware. It seems more than just a modded version of the Boyue firmware.. it would be interesting to see if the Linux kernel is the same.

Could you tell us if the light issues (flashing) is still present when brigthness is set to low values?

I will possibly give this a try too once I go back to my hometown in two weeks.

Greetings.
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #62
hob
Connoisseur
hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKHawK View Post
Hi hob,

I got the feeling that "a little bit smoother" and "a little faster" might be a placebo effect, do you think that might be possible?

I took a look at the Energy Sistem interface and it looks like a little modded version of the Boyue firmware, I'm thinking that Boyue provides the software to Energy Sistem which in turn mods it a little and add google play store and that's it. Am I mistaken?

Please keep us updated about your device on the Energy Sistem firmware.

Thank you.
Yes they're obviously the same device and use the same OS developed and maintained by probably the same people. But I think the Energy Sistem version is less buggy and at the very least, unlike Boyue's recent updates, doesn't waste a seriously high amount of energy while being asleep and it seems to have the latest fixes for the main bugs that we saw in the first Boyue T62+ release.

The part about the Energy Sistem firmware being a little more responsive and maybe faster is most probably not just an illusion. I think Energy Sistem is putting more effort into releasing software updates that at least don't cause more major problems! This may be because the people who are gonna buy their products are mostly Europeans who demand a higher quality than Boyue's target costumers who are mostly the people living in China!

Also the experience with the preloaded Google Play (and its related services) on this firmware is less painful than having a Google Play side-loaded on a rooted T62+! It obviously wastes much less energy than what I experienced with it on Boyue's firmware and they probably told it what this device does and does not have to prevent the stupid software to look for and try to use non-existing hardware (and probably waste energy for doing so)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
Hey Hob, thanks for all the info on the Energy Pro firmware. It seems more than just a modded version of the Boyue firmware.. it would be interesting to see if the Linux kernel is the same.

Could you tell us if the light issues (flashing) is still present when brigthness is set to low values?

I will possibly give this a try too once I go back to my hometown in two weeks.

Greetings.
Yeah the flicker issue at the lowest brightness level happens on this firmware too, but it isn't a huge problem and is like Boyue's latest firmware update (maybe a little darker at the lowest levels). As I said, the Energy Sistem firmware is like having the latest Boyue software fixes without the high battery usage rate bug on Boyue devices (and a few more features and being maybe a little bit more responsive and faster)!
hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #63
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hob View Post
Yes they're obviously the same device and use the same OS developed and maintained by probably the same people. But I think the Energy Sistem version is less buggy and at the very least, unlike Boyue's recent updates, doesn't waste a seriously high amount of energy while being asleep and it seems to have the latest fixes for the main bugs that we saw in the first Boyue T62+ release.

The part about the Energy Sistem firmware being a little more responsive and maybe faster is most probably not just an illusion. I think Energy Sistem is putting more effort into releasing software updates that at least don't cause more major problems! This may be because the people who are gonna buy their products are mostly Europeans who demand a higher quality than Boyue's target costumers who are mostly the people living in China!

Also the experience with the preloaded Google Play (and its related services) on this firmware is less painful than having a Google Play side-loaded on a rooted T62+! It obviously wastes much less energy than what I experienced with it on Boyue's firmware and they probably told it what this device does and does not have to prevent the stupid software to look for and try to use non-existing hardware (and probably waste energy for doing so)!

Yeah the flicker issue at the lowest brightness level happens on this firmware too, but it isn't a huge problem and is like Boyue's latest firmware update (maybe a little darker at the lowest levels). As I said, the Energy Sistem firmware is like having the latest Boyue software fixes without the high battery usage rate bug on Boyue devices (and a few more features and being maybe a little bit more responsive and faster)!
Hi, hob,

A couple of questions:

When you flashed the Energy Sistem firmware, did it uninstall the apps you installed, or leave them as they were? Secondly, did you flash it just by putting the update into the T62+'s internal storage, like a Boyue update? And, finally, how much better is battery life, especially when the device is asleep?

Thanks for being a pioneer with this!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #64
hob
Connoisseur
hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.hob can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Hi, hob,

A couple of questions:

# When you flashed the Energy Sistem firmware, did it uninstall the apps you installed, or leave them as they were? # Secondly, did you flash it just by putting the update into the T62+'s internal storage, like a Boyue update? # And, finally, how much better is battery life, especially when the device is asleep?

Thanks for being a pioneer with this!
# Yes after flashing the device, Android does a full re-config and re-format which is like a hard factory reset! But I think it is possible to backup and restore apps; either by the instructions in the first post of this thread (which would probably replace all the preloaded Energy Sistem apps I suppose!) or by just copy-pasting them or by some other ways you could find on Google.

# The first time I did it by the instructions in the first post of this thread, the second time, I used RK Batch Tool which is recommended by Energy Sistem themselves and is actually much easier than doing a manual flashing! I was unable to make the "RK Batch Tool v1.7" provided by Energy Sistem (inside the .zip file you download from their site) to detect my device, tho! Use the one attached to this thread instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245888

You should install ADB first (instructions and the files are in that thread), then do as the 6th section of that thread's first post says under "6- How to unbrick your device". The IMG file you should be using is the one inside the .zip file which you've downloaded from Energy Sistem's website.

The IMG file contains everything needed; sending it to the device with RK Batch Tool decreases the risk of making mistakes or not doing some parts correctly IMO (The first time My device lacked a shutdown screen)!

# Much better! It uses far less battery than Boyue while being inactive or asleep.

P.S. - Don't install apps such as messaging softwares that show lots of pop-up screens and try to turn the screen on all the time (or at least disable such features and behaviors in their options).

And don't forget to backup your device's current firmware [and data] either by this thread's instructions or other tools.

Last edited by hob; 05-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #65
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
# Yes after flashing the device, Android does a full re-config and re-format which is like a hard factory reset! But I think it is possible to backup and restore apps; either by the instructions in the first post of this thread (which would probably replace all the preloaded Energy Sistem apps I suppose!) or by just copy-pasting them or by some other ways you could find on Google.

# The first time I did it by the instructions in the first post of this thread, the second time, I used RK Batch Tool which is recommended by Energy Sistem themselves and is actually much easier than doing a manual flashing! I was unable to make the "RK Batch Tool v1.7" provided by Energy Sistem (inside the .zip file you download from their site) to detect my device, tho! Use the one attached to this thread instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=245888

You should install ADB first (instructions and the files are in that thread), then do as the 6th section of that thread's first post says under "6- How to unbrick your device". The IMG file you should be using is the one inside the .zip file which you've downloaded from Energy Sistem's website.

The IMG file contains everything needed; sending it to the device with RK Batch Tool decreases the risk of making mistakes or not doing some parts correctly IMO (The first time My device lacked a shutdown screen)!

# Much better! It uses far less battery than Boyue while being inactive or asleep.

P.S. - Don't install apps such as messaging softwares that show lots of pop-up screens and try to turn the screen on all the time (or at least disable such features and behaviors in their options).

And don't forget to backup your device's current firmware [and data] either by this thread's instructions or other tools.
Thanks for your thorough response. I had downloaded the Energy Sistem firmware and found that the pdf with the installation instructions is in Spanish. However, it looked to me like they were using processes outlined in the first post of this thread. You have confirmed that for me.

I find that ES File Explorer is good to backup the apps themselves (not the data, though). Titanium Backup can backup both, but trying to restore to a different firmware might not work smoothly. So, if I go ahead with this, I'll just backup my apps and reinstall from my microSD card.

I've used the RK Batch Tool on another device, so I have a basic sense of it.

I don't plan to install messaging software or other apps with lots of pop-up screens that try to turn the screen on all the time, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks again for your willingness to share the results of your work on the T62+!
Advert
Old 05-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #66
downeaster59
Wizard

I've tried to install the Energy Sistem firmware on my T62+ in the way hob did, using the RK Batch Tool. I have adb working. However, the Batch Tool does not see my device. I tried the ROM dumper tool, and I was able to get to "found one LOADER device", so that works. But still nothing from the Batch Tool. I have turned off my device by holding the power button for ten seconds, then pushed and held the refresh button for at least 7-8 seconds before connecting my device. I then keep on holding the refresh button for ten seconds or more, and still no response from the Batch Tool.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #67
DarKHawK
DarKHawK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I also had problems with RK Batch tool recognizing my device on Windows 8.1. I ran the same procedure on a Windows 7 virtual machine and it worked as intended.

I've flashed the Energy Sistems rom and things indeed look a little responsive compared to the Boyue software. I even flashed my backed up userdata partition back to the device and everything seem to be working correctly.
DarKHawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #68
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Also installed the Energy System firmware, and even though I have to test the battery usage (i have just tried it for a few hours) I can already say this is a much more polished firmware (few more options and google play, drive and gmail already installed) and I do notice an improvement in responsiveness!

Also confirmed that it has a different kernel version.

Thanks hob for sharing your experience!

EDIT: I am missing the "hide status bar" functionality from the Boyue firmware. Does anyone know a solution for this?

Last edited by diegoocampo; 05-13-2015 at 12:44 PM.
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #69
downeaster59
Wizard

I may try using the ROM dumper tool to install the Energy Sistem firmware. It has a couple more steps than going the batch tool route, but the dumper tool works on my system. My only hesitation is that, even though I'll backup my current firmware first, it may be trickier if something goes wrong.

Has anyone tried installing this firmware on the T62+ using the ROM dumper tool?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #70
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Titanium Backup can backup both, but trying to restore to a different firmware might not work smoothly.
That's pretty much one of the main purposes of Titanium Backup - restoring to a different firmware.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #71
V3t
V3t doesn't litterV3t doesn't litter

Device: Energy E-Reader Pro+
I have the actual device from Energy and am finding the device barely ever sleeps, there are no wakelocks but checking ADB logcat shows it keeps waking after sleeping constantly. I changed the settings so that processes were immediately killed after exiting and no background processes were allowed but to no avail. Suggesting the issue is out of my hands so to speak.

Do you have BBS or similar hob? Are you getting screen time roughly equal to awake time? Mine is vastly different but again no wakelocks so it will be hard to do much in my case.

What build number & kernel version of the energy ereader pro+ do you have?

My kernel is : ereader_pro_plus_2015041012
Build number : ereader_pro_plus_v1.0.0_2015040314

I guess I could try the one you have if it is different.

The status bar is also something I have been wondering about, reclaiming a little more space would be awesome for other ereader apps.
V3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #72
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKHawK View Post
I also had problems with RK Batch tool recognizing my device on Windows 8.1. I ran the same procedure on a Windows 7 virtual machine and it worked as intended.

I've flashed the Energy Sistems rom and things indeed look a little responsive compared to the Boyue software. I even flashed my backed up userdata partition back to the device and everything seem to be working correctly.
Thanks for the tip. I set up a Windows 7 virtual machine, and RK Batch tool sees my device!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #73
downeaster59
Wizard

Well, I made the switch to Energy Sistem. I found that, in using the RK Batch Tool, you don't have to go through the process of holding the refresh button, etc. Plug your T62+ into your computer and start the Batch Tool. The box that has the number 1 in it should turn pink. You then click "switch", and the tool does the rebooting for you. Then, the box turns green and you can flash the image. I learned that from making my way through the Energy Sistem pdf that's in Spanish. It simplifies the process.

I'll use the Energy Sistem ROM for a while and see what I think. The Energy Sistem folks removed the option to hide the status bar, which was unhelpful. My first impression was that there was no performance improvement, but as I used the device, things do seem to be slightly smoother and snappier than before. As for battery life during sleep, I left it in sleep mode last night at 99% battery. This morning, it was at 84%. I'll see how it does over a few days.

The firmware already has Play Store and Gmail, as others have noted, and that is a help. Rooting was easy with Root Master. There aren't any "odd" system apps in the app drawer, like the strange Chinese ones on the Boyue firmware. The default eReader app options are the same, but my books seem to be more responsive when I adjust margins or line spacing compared with the Boyue version. The backlight is slightly less intense at the lowest levels, but still too bright for me. I still need Brightness Control.

For me, the jury's still out on whether or not I can say that the firmware switch is worth it. I'll wait to see if I find any improvement in battery life, especially during sleep. There needs to be an option to hide the status bar. Some apps can do that for us, though. I did back up my previous firmware, so I can go back if I wish.

Edit: Just solved the status bar problem. Download and install the full!screen app (free, requires root). It hides the status bar and leaves small icons on the lower corners so you can bring it back when you want.

Last edited by downeaster59; 05-16-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: New info
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #74
hob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3t View Post
I have the actual device from Energy and am finding the device barely ever sleeps, there are no wakelocks but checking ADB logcat shows it keeps waking after sleeping constantly. I changed the settings so that processes were immediately killed after exiting and no background processes were allowed but to no avail. Suggesting the issue is out of my hands so to speak.

Do you have BBS or similar hob? Are you getting screen time roughly equal to awake time? Mine is vastly different but again no wakelocks so it will be hard to do much in my case.

What build number & kernel version of the energy ereader pro+ do you have?

My kernel is : ereader_pro_plus_2015041012
Build number : ereader_pro_plus_v1.0.0_2015040314

I guess I could try the one you have if it is different.

The status bar is also something I have been wondering about, reclaiming a little more space would be awesome for other ereader apps.
This firmware's kernel and build number are the same as yours as you can see in the screenshots I posted in the other thread.

I noticed repeatedly on this firmware that if I let Google Play update "Google Play Services" from the preloaded very old version 2 to the current version 7, the battery drainage rate increases significantly, especially when the device is asleep! Although such apps don't report any serious attempts to wake-up the screen, but they say the screen is using much of the battery while asleep (even more than when the device is on and being used)! Both on this firmware and Boyue's I noticed that installing the latest "Google Play Services" triggers this behavior and deleting it, ends it (Boyue doesn't have Google Play Services preloaded BTW and it's latest firmware updates themselves had bugs that resulted in serious battery usage increase)!

So I disabled Auto-Update in Google Play and uninstalled updates for both "Google Play Services" and "Google Play" that were installed automatically by Google Play Store app (Android allows uninstalling updates for system apps and restoring them to their original factory version through Settings > Apps > All > [app's name]). I've also disabled every useless system app that I could!

Also if you have rooted your device, I suggest using ES Task Manager to kill the useless running apps/services and also disable all the startup programs that you don't want them to run themselves or their services at system startup in background (requires root access)! To manage startup apps/services go to this app's menu and then select "Startup Manager". Removing each program from system startup may take a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the number of related apps/services to that particular software (shown as a number in front of it).

Although ES Task Manager was able to remove all the 14 or so "Google Play Services" from the startup list, but it seems that the "Google Play" app itself cannot be removed from startup and re-adds itself again a few seconds later! The only way is to fully disable it from "Settings > Apps > All" which is not necessary IMO because as far as I see, with its "Auto-Update apps" disabled, it doesn't do much stuff while it's not being used; it may only show some notification like "some updates are available" from time to time esp after connecting to wi-fi networks.

Also BBS and GSAM were telling me that Wi-Fi was on and using battery for 30% of the time the device was in deep sleep so I did disable "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" in settings. It was on "Only when plugged in" before but, I dunno, it could've been caused by some software bugs or the Google Play Services which were enabled and updated to the latest version during the said reports by BBS and GSAM.

And yeah, unlike the Boyue firmware, the Energy Sistem firmware seems to lack the option to hide the bottom bar (Status Bar, System Bar, or whatever it's called)! I never used that option but people can look into the Boyue firmware to see if it'd be possible to add that option to Energy Sistem's (maybe even associate "long-pressing" one of the keys to that function). It should be possible because they're basically the same device and software! There are probably 3rd party apps that can do it tho (but may require root).

Last edited by hob; 05-16-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #75
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:

And yeah, unlike the Boyue firmware, the Energy Sistem firmware seems to lack the option to hide the bottom bar (Status Bar, System Bar, or whatever it's called)! I never used that option but people can look into the Boyue firmware to see if it'd be possible to add that option to Energy Sistem's (maybe even associate "long-pressing" one of the keys to that function). It should be possible because they're basically the same device and software! There are probably 3rd party apps that can do it tho (but may require root).
See the edit on my last post. If you're rooted, full!screen will do the job.