Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Have you tried using myaccount@gmail.com vs. my.account@gmail.com? For gmail, at least, both will go to the same account, but since that isn't part of the email specifications, I don't know of any services that will recognize them as the same. It's pretty handy, for lots of things including setting up gmail filters.
Sorry, I missed this post. Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll try it out soon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thanks for doing this! I love Overdrive but it's important for them to have competitors so that they keep their fees in check!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
I hope this is alright to ask here:
Has anyone used Freading?
There is one library in my area that uses it. It's not too far, but a bit out of the way in an area I'm not super familiar with.

I have no issues with OverDrive, I was just debating on whether it was worth adding a 4th library to my card collection.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sorry, I missed this post. Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll try it out soon.
Tell us if it works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
There is one library in my area that uses it. It's not too far, but a bit out of the way in an area I'm not super familiar with.

I have no issues with OverDrive, I was just debating on whether it was worth adding a 4th library to my card collection.
I've used it a little. It's pretty hard to actually find anything I'm interested in. They don't seem to have a very wide selection.

But take a look at the catalog and see if you find anything interesting.

All Freading libraries have the same selection, so you can just take a look at http://freading.com
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
It's definitely alright to do so. Anything dealing with libraries and their digital content is on topic; even if I haven't formally introduced that provider yet.

I've never used Freading. None of my libraries have it.
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
They don't seem to have a very wide selection.
You mean Overdrive?

They offer approximately a million titles. The problem for impecunious readers is that no one library can afford to buy, or lease, more than a small portion of them.

Overdrive is, for me, the best of these services, both for selection and user interface. Second-best may be Axis 360, to judge by the one collection I can access (Bucks County Pennsylvania). I found a biography there two days ago that I couldn't get via Overdrive or 3M.

Anyone in New York State can access a larger Axis 360 collection than the one I use by joining the Queens Library.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
You mean Overdrive?
No, Freading.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've used Freading a little. I found some Poisoned Pen Press and other small publisher's books available, but no blockbuster bestsellers if that's what you are looking for. They let you re-download the books once after you've used your tokens on them, so that's a plus.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
All Freading libraries have the same selection, so you can just take a look at http://freading.com
I have found that just searching at www.freading.com does not show all of the books available. For example, a search by title for the word buffalo returns only 4 results there, but a search at the library-specific Freading site ocls.freading.com returns 19 results.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #25
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
So I checked out Zinio. It seems the Zoom options are Small and Even Smaller. That's it it, at least on my laptop. If I use Zinio on a tablet (which I don't have...yet), will I be able to adjust page sizes with more variety? I'm thinking along the lines of how sizing can be adjusted on phones. For context, I basically have my browser set to 150-175% zooming as I just can't deal with small print/fonts anymore.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #26
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Does anyone use One Click? I like to browse overdrive to see if they got something new. But to browse One Click, I have to login first (which overdrive doesn't ask). I'd like to avoid it if possible.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Does anyone use One Click? I like to browse overdrive to see if they got something new. But to browse One Click, I have to login first (which overdrive doesn't ask). I'd like to avoid it if possible.
I don't use it because the selection is too small and the audiobooks take forever to download. I pretty much stick with OverDrive; but I'm giving Hoopla a shot for audiobooks.

Having to login first is up to the library. I just tried four libraries that I'm not a member of and two let me in to browse. But then, that does no good if yours won't.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I did find a couple of books I'm interested in. But I couldn't find what format are they and I wasn't overly happy with having to create account. If I keep adding apps I'll need a device exclusively for use with library applications.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #29
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
My county library just added 3M Cloud Library. I checked it out but since they only have about 12 books in my favorite genre (most of which I've already read) and they can't be read on my Kindle, I'm going to stick with OverDrive (provided through the state).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #30
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I use OneClick, but only when I can't find the book at Overdrive. I never go there to just browse, only to check for a specific book.

If you use Calibre you can get the Overdrive plugin. It will search through One Click for you too, if you set it up to do so. Thank you, jhowell! (the creator the of plugin)
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote