Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #1066
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
@Vandy

The Last Communique - full of layers of meaning, perhaps even more than you think - for someone who is deaf much of the poem could describe the isolation of someone in that position.

Although the final section does hone in more to the overall meaning behind the work, there is even a deaf person's narrative in there ...

Thanks for sharing - It gave me lots of joy to read .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #1067
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
@Vandy

How can it be dark when it ends in hope. Very moving piece. Thanks for sharing.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #1068
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No one?

Are we truly alone….
is that why
no one answers the phone….
returns our messages
pulses sent out in hope….
….we did send a drone.

The question, pondered, no doubt;
no answer….
are they out,
are they on their way;
have they been….
….and gone, and did not shout….

Where are they, though….
are we truly alone….
do we want to know.
do we hope there is no one there….
do we seek the comfort of being aware;
or the comfort that no one is there.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #1069
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Interesting...

Hi, Geof.

I read through No One? a number of times and seemed to get a different read each time. I must say, your style of "stringing" words together really makes for a thought-provoking read.

There aren't really any "gimmicks" in this piece - just a straight subject handled in an ethereal way. As always, your word imagery is superb.

I must say that the last three lines are giving me the most grief as I contemplate within which I fit -- reveling in the comfort of being aware no one is there or, simply enjoying the comfort that comes from knowing no one is there...

Very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #1070
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And now, on a lighter note...

Hello, All.

I wanted to share with you a piece that was a much fun to write as it is to read.

The Lettuce Patch
by Vandy
© March 14, 2002
Revised September 19, 2006
The Write Stuff Publishing House
... a division of VAN Enterprises

It was late in the evening when I dared to venture out again. I was sure I wouldn't have a problem finding the lettuce. Nevertheless, I took great pains to cover my steps and use the shadows in an attempt to keep my whereabouts unknown.

Early in the morning, as I neared the lettuce patch, I recalled the stories told to me by the wise old dullard. "Be Ye careful on your walk," I can still hear him say, "for Ye dasn't walk alone for long..." Even now, as I search for the lettuce, I shudder over the impact his wisdom has on my psyche.

As Dawn slowing fades into the West and the Sun rises to battle the Moon, my quest finally lands me in the lettuce patch. I can see row after row of green leaf all waiting patiently for the rabbit's gentle nibble.

Slowly, I turn -- first to the left and then to the right. My mistake was not turning all the way around. As I bent down to help the rabbit, I felt a gentle tapping on my shoulder. Instantly, cold sweat poured from my pores -- my hands lost their grip and my legs their strength. With my heart in my mouth and my pulse racing, I tried to turn around but could only fall to my knees whimpering.

As I lay on the ground quivering in fear, I heard a strange sound. It was like a crunch, chew, chew, chew... What could be making this horrid sound? Was there some hideous being getting ready to have me for dinner? Slowly and with great trepidation, I looked around to find the source of the sound. In the dim light of the universe, I could just make out a gangly shape standing nonchalantly next to me. As my eyes traveled up towards the head of this loathsome creature, my eyes perceived two long appendages standing out from the top of its head.

Suddenly, one of its arms came around with a pointed object clamped in its hand. I screamed knowing my life would soon end on the point of whatever weapon it held. As I lay on the ground helpless, the creature's arm continued to its mouth until it bit off a piece of the pointed object it held.

CRUNCH! chew... chew... chew...

And then, it spoke...

"Eh, What's up, Doc?"

I fainted dead away...

Enjoy!

Regards,
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #1071
GeoffC

Thanks Vandy, an interesting read .... especially the end !
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #1072
GeoffC

When the dream just sparks to life
And your eyelids begin to flicker
Underneath the bed do we hear the snicker
As the bugs come out to play.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #1073
Vandy
...always be humble.

Thumbs up Great!

Hi, Geoff.

This little untitled piece (above post) is absolutely GREAT! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and LOVED the twist at the end.

It has just enough of a disturbing element (bugs playing under my bed...) to make you shiver at the thought and an absolutely light tone that takes it right over the top of entertainment.

Thanks you for sharing this jewel!

Regards,
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #1074
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
This one was published in the anthology "Famous Poems of Today" in 1995. A bit seasonal in its subject but I like it.

The Christmas Child

Once upon a Christmas time
A tiny child was born,
In a tiny stable
Before the light of morn.

3 men came from the east
To bring him presents fair,
As he in a manger lay
Within the animals lair.

Above them a star did shine
With a heavenly light,
To show a king had been born
Upon that winters night.

Jesus still lives today
And every single year,
We still celebrate his birth
With song and Christmas cheer.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #1075
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Hi, Geoff.

This little untitled piece (above post) is absolutely GREAT! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and LOVED the twist at the end.

It has just enough of a disturbing element (bugs playing under my bed...) to make you shiver at the thought and an absolutely light tone that takes it right over the top of entertainment.

Thanks you for sharing this jewel!

Regards,
I agree with Vandy. It evokes memories of childhood when anything might be about to spring out at you from under the bed or from the closet.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #1076
Vandy
...always be humble.

And now for something completely different...

Hi, All.

I thought I'd post something a bit different than my "norm". I enjoy reading and writing all types of poetry. I was introduced to Cinquains a few years ago and really enjoy this verse form. Here are three for your reading pleasure.

Cinquains from the Heart
by Vandy
© July 24, 2007
Write Naturally Publishing House
…a division of Van Enterprises

Love
Making, breaking,
Aching, quaking, shaking,
Living a full life
Death

Poetry
Descriptive, insightful
flowing, provoking, doubting
Words working together to deliver a message
Verse

Weather
Earth's lving heart
Wind, rain, snow, sun, hail, ice
Bringing forth life and causing death
Beating

Enjoy!

Regards,
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #1077
Vandy
...always be humble.

Spot On!

Hello, crich70.

Your The Christmas Child is spot on! A wonderful poem, well written and excellent use of word imagery and story. Very well done!

Regards,
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #1078
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hello, crich70.

Your The Christmas Child is spot on! A wonderful poem, well written and excellent use of word imagery and story. Very well done!

Regards,
Thanks Vandy. I found out something interesting this morning too. My poem is on Amazon. lol. Well along with several 1000 others anyway. (Used copies of the anthology are on sale at Amazon.) It would be sweet if it were to be made into a Kindle edition. Though I wonder how they would work out royalties for the contributors from such a collection. The book is over 200 pages long with multiple poems on each page.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #1079
GeoffC

Quote:
Hello, crich70.

Regards,

@Vandy ... those Cinquains are wonderful and full of imagery....
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #1080
GeoffC

Sleep well !

‘twas mares, unbridled,
who drug me naked through the night,
‘cross yawning chasms deep and wide
and o’er those fiery cracks that ooze.

‘twas wanton mares, unchecked,
who, without reins, caroused they through my night,
purge me, they did not, of all my sins,
but added more, they did, to my account.

‘twas mares, who rashly
took me to the highest high each night
to let me fall, a-screaming…
cruel they were, caught me just in time.

‘twas mares, without cares,
who chased me through the night,
to ocean floor and void of space
and let me wake
to a shiver
a quiver
and a bed of sweat.

Tags
poetry, squirrelku